News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: Tyr on May 10, 2011, 07:43:50 AM
Not so sure about marrying a girl he loves, rather the slag he pops his cherry with and feels so guilty about it he marries her anyway.

And IIRC there are indications that he was set up for it by Tywin.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Habbaku on May 10, 2011, 10:39:06 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 10, 2011, 07:03:23 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 10, 2011, 06:27:50 AM
One thing I'm missing in the show so far is Robert's brothers. Renly is barely on-screen, and Stannis hasn't even been mentioned at all yet. Granted, Stannis doesn't make an appearance in the first book, but his involvement is still important to the plot.
They really weren't that important yet were they?

Renly was very important in the first book.
Very? :yeahright:  I'm just about done with the first book, and he is mentioned less than Stannis I think, though he does actually appear in person.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Martinus

Also, I wanna say that the guy who plays Theon is hot. And he always struck me as a little bitch in the books, so he is well cast. :P

Josquius

Quote from: Solmyr on May 10, 2011, 11:04:36 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 10, 2011, 07:43:50 AM
Not so sure about marrying a girl he loves, rather the slag he pops his cherry with and feels so guilty about it he marries her anyway.

And IIRC there are indications that he was set up for it by Tywin.

Like what?
I totally missed that. Seemed to just be bad luck to me that he got injured and things went rather Back to the Future...only they actually did do it...and it wasn't his mother.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Renly and Loras are the most important characters in the series!

/marty
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 10, 2011, 05:40:38 AM
Both of you make very good points, but I am a bit surprised at Slargos analysis, a bit too modern for him.  :P

Modern in the sense of an early 20th century crude Marxist-materialistic analysis, yes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 10, 2011, 03:26:51 PM
Renly and Loras are the most important characters in the series!

/marty

Can we agree they are the most important characters who have gay man-on-man sex on the set?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on May 10, 2011, 10:39:06 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 10, 2011, 07:03:23 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 10, 2011, 06:27:50 AM
One thing I'm missing in the show so far is Robert's brothers. Renly is barely on-screen, and Stannis hasn't even been mentioned at all yet. Granted, Stannis doesn't make an appearance in the first book, but his involvement is still important to the plot.
They really weren't that important yet were they?

Renly was very important in the first book.
I'm talking about the first 40%, he was more important in the 2nd half IIRC.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 10, 2011, 03:59:41 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 10, 2011, 05:40:38 AM
Both of you make very good points, but I am a bit surprised at Slargos analysis, a bit too modern for him.  :P

Modern in the sense of an early 20th century crude Marxist-materialistic analysis, yes.
Slargos is a creature of the 19th century?

What's your analysis of the subject.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

:)
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/10/game-of-thrones-ratings-rise-again/
QuoteGame of Thrones
May 10 2011 11:06 AM ET

'Game of Thrones' ratings rise again

HBO's Game of Thrones inched upward in the ratings for the second week in a row. The 9 p.m. airing was seen by 2.5 million viewers, up slightly from last week's 2.4 million, with a total of 3.1 million for the night including the repeat. Season to date, Thrones is averaging 8.3 million once all repeats and platforms are counted.

This is yet another positive sign for the fantasy series, climbing in the numbers despite the show's story pace lessening a bit the previous week. The show's action kicks into high gear starting on Sunday's fifth episode, which could result in Thrones gaining even more traction in the weeks to come, just like True Blood its first year.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

HBO has been taken over by the Apple fanatics!  :mad:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hbo-go-mobile-app-gets-187077
QuoteThe executive on Tuesday also said that HBO Go will exclusively make available the following week's episode of new HBO hit Game of Thrones right after the May 22 episode, which ends with a cliffhanger that Kessler said will entice fans to immediately see what happens next. The move is part of a plan to offer exclusive content windows on HBO Go to "encourage registration" of users for the service, he said.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

:hmm:  Trying to recall what the cliffhanger could be.  The result of Ned's scrap with Jaime, perhaps?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Lady Gaga for Melisandre! :yes:
http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/game-thrones-hits-new-series-high-27234
    Now if only Lady Gaga would guest-star on "Game of Thrones," HBO would have an unstoppable ratings blockbuster -- and a very freaky bit of programming -- on its hands.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I thought Melisandre was supposed to be hott?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?