And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 23, 2011, 05:22:32 PM
Quote from: Maximus on April 22, 2011, 10:07:28 AM
The real question is how 600 ft of ice remains standing after 14 years (or however much it was)of summer.

I wonder if a 600 ft wall of ice could even support itself.

Ever heard of icebergs?

Sheilbh

I always thought the winter and summer were just figurative :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2011, 05:56:53 PM
I always thought the winter and summer were just figurative :mellow:

Never read the books, watched first episode last night and I already came to same conclusion :D
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 23, 2011, 05:54:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 23, 2011, 05:22:32 PM
Quote from: Maximus on April 22, 2011, 10:07:28 AM
The real question is how 600 ft of ice remains standing after 14 years (or however much it was)of summer.

I wonder if a 600 ft wall of ice could even support itself.

Ever heard of icebergs?

Yes, they are big pieces of Ice that float in the water so you know the water supports a great deal of it's weight.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Uh does it say how wide the wall is? I mean 600 feet is nothing, I just spent a day on 4,000 foot thick glacier.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on April 23, 2011, 06:29:06 PM
Uh does it say how wide the wall is? I mean 600 feet is nothing, I just spent a day on 4,000 foot thick glacier.

I believe it mentions that several horses can walk alongside one another on the top of it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

This thread delivers, in all its chock-full-of-heady-Timmay-nerdgasm goodness.  You fucking monkeys.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2011, 07:05:46 PM
This thread delivers, in all its chock-full-of-heady-Timmay-nerdgasm goodness.  You fucking monkeys.

I'd like to stuff every one of them into a locker.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on April 23, 2011, 05:47:57 PM
What? It's basic thermodynamics. When the winter comes, the temperature around the wall will decrease, which will cause the wall's temperature to decrease too - in layman terms you could say that the wall "accumulates cold" (although it is obviously not strictly correct as cold is the absence of heat, so in thermodynamics sense, it will really give out heat).

When the temperature around the wall goes up (i.e. summer comes), the warm air will cause the wall to melt, which will decrease the temperature of air around the wall, as the air will give away heat in the process of melting the well - thus, again in layman's terms, the wall will "give out cold" (i.e. accumulate heat, getting warmer in the process).

So, yes, Slargos was right that it's a matter of perspective, at least to the extent you describe the outward effects of the process, rather than the mechanics of the process itself.

:lol:

Well. Sometimes support comes from the unlikeliest of sources. Is it opposite week?  :hmm:

grumbler

Quote from: Slargos on April 23, 2011, 09:10:25 PM
What? It's basic thermodynamics. When the winter comes, the temperature around the wall will decrease, which will cause the wall's temperature to decrease too - in layman terms you could say that the wall "accumulates cold" (although it is obviously not strictly correct as cold is the absence of heat, so in thermodynamics sense, it will really give out heat).

When the temperature around the wall goes up (i.e. summer comes), the warm air will cause the wall to melt, which will decrease the temperature of air around the wall, as the air will give away heat in the process of melting the well - thus, again in layman's terms, the wall will "give out cold" (i.e. accumulate heat, getting warmer in the process).

So, yes, Slargos was right that it's a matter of perspective, at least to the extent you describe the outward effects of the process, rather than the mechanics of the process itself.

Well. Sometimes support comes from the unlikeliest of sources. Is it opposite week?  :hmm:
Some days you get it right, and some days you get it Marti.  This is one of the latter days.  Pity, but then your argument was about a magical kingdom, so no great loss when you turned out to be arguing what Marti would argue. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on April 23, 2011, 09:33:30 PM
Quote from: Slargos on April 23, 2011, 09:10:25 PM

Some days you get it right, and some days you get it Marti.  This is one of the latter days.  Pity, but then your argument was about a magical kingdom, so no great loss when you turned out to be arguing what Marti would argue.

You radiate a lot of cold. Are you magical?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Is there anyway to watch this show without subscribing to HBO?
I feel is a waste to pay 20 bucks a month just watch one TV show since HBO does not have anything else that interests me or that is not avaliable somewhere else.
If I subscribe then I will feel the obligation to waste my limited time watching their crap.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Slargos