And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Slargos on April 22, 2011, 10:45:55 AM
Well there you go. If grumbler agrees with me, there is no doubt.  :hmm:
:yes: Even a Slargos is right twice a lifetime.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on April 22, 2011, 10:50:15 AM

And he is right this time as well. Your agreeing with him truly does leave no doubt... :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2011, 10:52:28 AM

And he is right this time as well. Your agreeing with him truly does leave no doubt... :P
:yes:  He was right about the cold, and right about the effect of me agreeing with him.

Noble of him to use both of his opportunities to be right in one thread...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2011, 10:52:28 AM

So we're all agreed, agreed?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Slargos on April 22, 2011, 10:54:09 AM

You're all wrong. Not sure what it is you're wrong about, just that you're wrong.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Slargos

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 22, 2011, 10:59:35 AM

You're all wrong. Not sure what it is you're wrong about, just that you're wrong.

Well, I think that's a matter of perspective.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 22, 2011, 10:59:35 AM

Way to go out on a limb, there!  :lol:

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 21, 2011, 09:10:21 AM
"Why do retards and Australians always seem to think that LOL WE GET CLOSR 2 TEH SUN IN SUMMR? "

I have corrected your post marti.
You repeat yourself.

I watched it and thought it was good.  The number of really good actors they've got, even in minor roles, bodes well for the less well-known ones.  Roger Allam and Donald Sumpter :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

No, no it's not.

http://img.slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbeat/archive/2011/04/20/is-game-of-thrones-racist.aspx?wpisrc=obnetwork
QuoteTime's TV critic James Poniewozik, noting that the Dothraki seem to be made up of a "grabbag of exotic/dark/savage signifiers," wondered if it was "possible to be racist toward a race that does not actually exist."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 23, 2011, 06:09:28 AM
No, no it's not.

http://img.slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbeat/archive/2011/04/20/is-game-of-thrones-racist.aspx?wpisrc=obnetwork
QuoteTime's TV critic James Poniewozik, noting that the Dothraki seem to be made up of a "grabbag of exotic/dark/savage signifiers," wondered if it was "possible to be racist toward a race that does not actually exist."

Just like Geico is not only racist towards cavemen, but they advertise it and base their corporate image around it.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 22, 2011, 02:45:13 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 21, 2011, 09:10:21 AM
"Why do retards and Australians always seem to think that LOL WE GET CLOSR 2 TEH SUN IN SUMMR? "

I have corrected your post marti.
You repeat yourself.

I watched it and thought it was good.  The number of really good actors they've got, even in minor roles, bodes well for the less well-known ones.  Roger Allam and Donald Sumpter :mmm:

I'm busy reading the books atm, having previously been unaware that they are a cut above the standard fantasy fodder. I'll probably get the boxed set of the show whenever that comes out (that is how HBO accesses the Hakluyt purse  :D ).

It's good that they have put the boat out and hired good actors.................a lot of the fun (so far, halfway through book 2) is in liking, despising or detesting the various characters.............indifferent acting would spoil that.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on April 22, 2011, 10:07:28 AM
The real question is how 600 ft of ice remains standing after 14 years (or however much it was)of summer.

I wonder if a 600 ft wall of ice could even support itself.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2011, 10:06:20 AM
No, thermodynamics are not a matter of "how you look at it".

There is no way to look at it such that ice "puts out" cold. Being from the fucking arctic, you would think you would know that.

You are not entirely correct. If the air temperature surrounding the ice is constant, then you are right. But if it fluctuates, then if the temperature rises, ice will make it colder than it would be otherwise.

katmai

:huh:

edit: sorry was directed at raz, not marti who was posting at same time.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

What? It's basic thermodynamics. When the winter comes, the temperature around the wall will decrease, which will cause the wall's temperature to decrease too - in layman terms you could say that the wall "accumulates cold" (although it is obviously not strictly correct as cold is the absence of heat, so in thermodynamics sense, it will really give out heat).

When the temperature around the wall goes up (i.e. summer comes), the warm air will cause the wall to melt, which will decrease the temperature of air around the wall, as the air will give away heat in the process of melting the well - thus, again in layman's terms, the wall will "give out cold" (i.e. accumulate heat, getting warmer in the process).

So, yes, Slargos was right that it's a matter of perspective, at least to the extent you describe the outward effects of the process, rather than the mechanics of the process itself.