News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: The Larch on April 19, 2011, 07:26:26 AM
Btw, another important character that gets relatively little screen time is Theon Greyjoy. Who he is exactly is not explained at all in the episode, I guess that'll be exposed later. For now he's just a guy who hangs around the Stark kids but who clearly is not part of the family and follows Eddard directly. In fact in the archery scene at the beginning I kinda expected that the person who out-shot Bran from behind was him and not Arya.

I could easily see Theon being one of the characters who ends up getting essentially cut out of the story.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Faeelin

Quote from: The Larch on April 19, 2011, 02:50:51 AM
If you know who Lady is, you already know how the situation ends. ;) They don't even name the pups in the episode.  :P

I refrained from laughing hysterically when a girl I watched it with said she'd only keep watching for more puppies.

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2011, 07:30:19 AM
Btw, another important character that gets relatively little screen time is Theon Greyjoy. Who he is exactly is not explained at all in the episode, I guess that'll be exposed later. For now he's just a guy who hangs around the Stark kids but who clearly is not part of the family and follows Eddard directly. In fact in the archery scene at the beginning I kinda expected that the person who out-shot Bran from behind was him and not Arya.

I could easily see Theon being one of the characters who ends up getting essentially cut out of the story.

Could be, cuts have to be made and the story has to be simplified for the screen. At least for now he just doesn't figure much on the story. In the second season it'd be a different story altogether, and if Theon is given a smaller role somehow the Greyjoy storyline would differ notably from the one in the books.

Btw, a buddy that has been intensively following the development of the series told me the other day that, apparently, some important character that dies in the 3rd book will be killed off during this season instead. I'm curious already...  :ph34r:

Josquius

Wasn't it the same in the book?
I remember being really vague on who he was until pretty much the part with the wildlings in the forest.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Faeelin on April 19, 2011, 07:33:41 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 19, 2011, 02:50:51 AM
If you know who Lady is, you already know how the situation ends. ;) They don't even name the pups in the episode.  :P

I refrained from laughing hysterically when a girl I watched it with said she'd only keep watching for more puppies.

Well, by the end of the season there should be dragon puppies around instead.  :P

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on April 19, 2011, 07:35:18 AM
Wasn't it the same in the book?
I remember being really vague on who he was until pretty much the part with the wildlings in the forest.

More or less, he only gets to be a POV character by the second book, but who he was was established since more or less the beginning, stressing that he's a ward of the Starks since the Greyjoy uprising.

Martinus

One thing I find kinda funny is that each of the several people who never read the books and saw episode one, that I spoke to, say that they were pretty clear and not really confused by it, whereas a lot of people who actually read the books seem to worry that a lot of things is not explained and it will be confusing to viewers.

I think we have become so saturated with SOIAF lore that we fail to appreciate that the show is made pretty much in the same way as the books - i.e. things are being introduced slowly and a lot of things is not said explicitly.

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on April 19, 2011, 07:35:00 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2011, 07:30:19 AM

Could be, cuts have to be made and the story has to be simplified for the screen. At least for now he just doesn't figure much on the story. In the second season it'd be a different story altogether, and if Theon is given a smaller role somehow the Greyjoy storyline would differ notably from the one in the books.

Btw, a buddy that has been intensively following the development of the series told me the other day that, apparently, some important character that dies in the 3rd book will be killed off during this season instead. I'm curious already...  :ph34r:

If it's Renly, I'm gonna be pissed.

Who else dies in book three? Robb, Catelyn, Tywin and Jeoffrey are the ones I can think of right now (from the ones we have seen).

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on April 19, 2011, 07:51:29 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 19, 2011, 07:35:00 AM

Who else dies in book three? Robb, Catelyn, Tywin and Jeoffrey are the ones I can think of right now (from the ones we have seen).

Renly dies in the second book, IIRC.

Sahib

Quote from: Martinus on April 19, 2011, 07:51:29 AM

It's apparently someone minor, like Rast (who? exactly) or Hoster Tully.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Josquius

It'll probally be Old Nan. The actress who plays her died. Or  was she a book 2 death?...can't recall.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on April 19, 2011, 08:39:41 AM
It'll probally be Old Nan. The actress who plays her died. Or  was she a book 2 death?...can't recall.

The last time she's mentioned is amongst the commoners present at Winterfell when Theon backstabs the Starks and takes the castle. I can't remember if it's specifically said that she died or not in the process.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Slargos on April 19, 2011, 06:25:22 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 19, 2011, 06:01:30 AM
Speaking of which, anyone disagrees that Lannisters get the best lines in the show?

Tyrion and Jaime have the best one-liners. :P

If you are the kind of person who sees virtue in spite and malignance.

I think that sometimes we forget that there's a world outside the cauldron of hate, vitriol and malignance that is the Internet in general but Languish in particular, and begin to admire the perverse and degenerative.

"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword" qualifies as the best one liner in my book.  :hmm:
I loved Ned's delivery of "I don't fight in tournaments because when I fight a man for real, I don't want him to know what I can do."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on April 19, 2011, 08:51:48 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 19, 2011, 08:39:41 AM

The last time she's mentioned is amongst the commoners present at Winterfell when Theon backstabs the Starks and takes the castle. I can't remember if it's specifically said that she died or not in the process.

I seem to have this weird memory of this being either implied or explicitly said that she dies (something along the lines of "They killed everybody, even the Old Nan") but I may be making that up.  :huh:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point