Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2011, 01:24:06 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2011, 01:10:43 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2011, 01:04:17 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on April 17, 2011, 09:23:20 PM
those i saw it with were more unnerved by the sudden rush of rough child rape + incest + implied death of a child :D

So they closed the episode with "things I do for love"? Sweet. I remember I was pretty unnerved when I read it first time too.

Btw, I have not read the books for a while - child rape?
Isn't Daenerys 12-13 in the books. How old is she supposed to be in the shows? 15-16?

Ok but this is retarded. Incest (unless you are a Targaeryn) or throwing a child off out of a window is indeed shocking, both by modern and Westeros standards. But if you apply modern standards to sexual initiation, half of real world medieval marriages were "child rape". You could be just as well shocked by the "cruel and unusual" punishment of beheading.  :rolleyes:
The average person watching HBO probably doesn't know enough about history to know this.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Quote from: LaCroix on April 17, 2011, 09:31:57 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2011, 09:24:35 PMCome again?

what i meant by that, and i might not have worded that correctly, was that all those lords and barons, the men who hold land and have power in their local areas because they were loyal to the next tier. ned's was shown a few times in discussion with robert, but the lower levels weren't at all

Did you read the books? You'll have more than enough lesser nobles as the story goes on.

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2011, 01:04:17 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on April 17, 2011, 09:23:20 PM
those i saw it with were more unnerved by the sudden rush of rough child rape + incest + implied death of a child :D

So they closed the episode with "things I do for love"? Sweet. I remember I was pretty unnerved when I read it first time too.

Btw, I have not read the books for a while - child rape?

IIRC, it was announced a good while ago that the first episode would go from the Prologue to that particular scene. Or was it the pilot?  :hmm:

On a different note, at the HBO site there's a nifty guide of the series for the more casual viewers. As with every fantasy source worth its stuff, it has a cool map.  :P

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/?cmpid=ABC794

CountDeMoney

I was watching one of the Behind-The-Scenes previews, and it had an interview with George R.R. Martin.
I think the "R.R." stands for "Rail Road", because he looks like a reject from a model train convention.

Josquius

IIRC I remember hearing the first episode ends with Bran's mishap.
Its on tonight. Can't wait.

QuoteIsn't Daenerys 12-13 in the books. How old is she supposed to be in the shows? 15-16?
Aye, all the kids have been aged up it seems. Robb and Theon are supposed to be like 16 but here they're played by 23 (or so) year olds, Arya IIRC is around 14 instead of...10 or so.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

It's an American series, only Disney uses matching age actors.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2011, 03:44:03 AM
I was watching one of the Behind-The-Scenes previews, and it had an interview with George R.R. Martin.
I think the "R.R." stands for "Rail Road", because he looks like a reject from a model train convention.
"Railroad" was, indeed, his nickname at the cons back before he became a big name.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 18, 2011, 06:20:19 AM

It's not just that - the characters are actually older than in the books (e.g. Brandon is 10 instead of 6, Daenerys is 16 instead of 13 etc.). I think this is a good choice - some of the characters just were too young, period (even though it probably makes sense in the context of the era).

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2011, 06:26:10 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2011, 03:44:03 AM
"Railroad" was, indeed, his nickname at the cons back before he became a big name.

Was it because he looks like a steam engine? :P

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2011, 06:42:43 AM
Was it because he looks like a steam engine? :P
:lol:  Actually, I think it was because there was another George Martin already known to SF fans.

All of this is from second-hand memory; i never went to SF Conventions, but talked to those who did.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2011, 06:42:10 AM

It's not just that - the characters are actually older than in the books (e.g. Brandon is 10 instead of 6, Daenerys is 16 instead of 13 etc.). I think this is a good choice - some of the characters just were too young, period (even though it probably makes sense in the context of the era).

Oh. I guess I'll see. I have no intentions of reading the books before RR dies.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Faeelin

Overall it was good, but was anyone else annoyed at the revisions to Danaerys's relationship to the Khal?

They also simplified Cate a bit, which I didn't like.

Also, I laughed at the end of the episode. Am I a bad man?

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on April 18, 2011, 08:38:51 AM
Also, I laughed at the end of the episode. Am I a bad man?

No you are a: Languishite. :P

No comment on Dany-Drogo yet.  I will see how it develops.  I was a bit surprised how they changed Catelyn but I think it works better.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on April 18, 2011, 06:15:31 AM
QuoteIsn't Daenerys 12-13 in the books. How old is she supposed to be in the shows? 15-16?
Aye, all the kids have been aged up it seems. Robb and Theon are supposed to be like 16 but here they're played by 23 (or so) year olds, Arya IIRC is around 14 instead of...10 or so.

Screw the actors. How old are the characters?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2011, 06:42:10 AM

:bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:

HBO = fial
Women want me. Men want to be with me.