Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on April 17, 2011, 09:17:35 PM
it's pretty fantastic. it seems a casualty is feudalism's lower-tier :hmm:

Come again?

Faeelin

Pretty good. Someone said "Eh, I'll keep watching only for the puppies."

I laughed hysterically. But then I also laughed hysterically at the end of the episode.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2011, 09:24:35 PMCome again?

what i meant by that, and i might not have worded that correctly, was that all those lords and barons, the men who hold land and have power in their local areas because they were loyal to the next tier. ned's was shown a few times in discussion with robert, but the lower levels weren't at all

Josephus

Quote from: merithyn on April 17, 2011, 09:19:39 PM
Just saw it. Well done, but someone who hasn't read the books is going to be very, very confused, I think.

I'll let you know when I watch it in the next few days.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on April 17, 2011, 09:31:57 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2011, 09:24:35 PMCome again?

what i meant by that, and i might not have worded that correctly, was that all those lords and barons, the men who hold land and have power in their local areas because they were loyal to the next tier. ned's was shown a few times in discussion with robert, but the lower levels weren't at all

So let me get this straight: you didn't think the peasant mudfarmers got enough screen time.

Razgovory

I suppose a fantasy novel from perspective of a serf who sees the heroes once as they go off, and one more time when he is in the crowd cheering the heroes triumphant return would not make a very interesting story.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2011, 09:47:07 PM
I suppose a fantasy novel from perspective of a serf who sees the heroes once as they go off, and one more time when he is in the crowd cheering the heroes triumphant return would not make a very interesting story.

Gutlaf Moolman sighed as he picked up the morning paper, noting with disinterest how the headlines were again about that boorish "hero" fighting another dragon. His back twinged a bit, as had been its wont lately, when he straightened up again. All those years working at the mud farm had certainly taken their toll on his body. A shriek from behind him sent him careening into a semblance of what might to someone very inexperienced look like a fighting stance, and he peered nervously into the antechamber of the small hovel. Ismelda, his teenage daughter, was stomping off in another hormone fueled rage about something that was assuredly of little importance to anyone who is not a teenage girl.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on April 17, 2011, 09:29:29 PM
Pretty good. Someone said "Eh, I'll keep watching only for the puppies."

I laughed hysterically. But then I also laughed hysterically at the end of the episode.
That is funny!  :D
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: LaCroix on April 17, 2011, 09:23:20 PM
those i saw it with were more unnerved by the sudden rush of rough child rape + incest + implied death of a child :D

So they closed the episode with "things I do for love"? Sweet. I remember I was pretty unnerved when I read it first time too.

Btw, I have not read the books for a while - child rape?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2011, 01:04:17 AM
those i saw it with were more unnerved by the sudden rush of rough child rape + incest + implied death of a child :D

So they closed the episode with "things I do for love"? Sweet. I remember I was pretty unnerved when I read it first time too.

Oh yeah.
Lots of nice tits, too.
And a shirtless scene with Robb, Theon and Jon for you.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Martinus

Who gets raped? Or do you mean Daenerys?

jimmy olsen

Isn't Daenerys 12-13 in the books. How old is she supposed to be in the shows? 15-16?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2011, 01:10:43 AM

Isn't Daenerys 12-13 in the books. How old is she supposed to be in the shows? 15-16?

Ok but this is retarded. Incest (unless you are a Targaeryn) or throwing a child off out of a window is indeed shocking, both by modern and Westeros standards. But if you apply modern standards to sexual initiation, half of real world medieval marriages were "child rape". You could be just as well shocked by the "cruel and unusual" punishment of beheading.  :rolleyes:

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2011, 01:24:06 AM

Ok but this is retarded. Incest (unless you are a Targaeryn) or throwing a child off out of a window is indeed shocking, both by modern and Westeros standards. But if you apply modern standards to sexual initiation, half of real world medieval marriages were "child rape". You could be just as well shocked by the "cruel and unusual" punishment of beheading.  :rolleyes:

In the West, we are sufficiently removed from the Dark Ages to be shocked by these things. A concept you stone carving Poles will not understand.

Of course, there's not a lot you folks DO understand, so I guess there's no real need for such repetition. Let a dead Winged Hussar lie, so to speak.

Even though, I will admit, the thought of kicking dead polacks is somewhat amusing.

But I digress.

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on April 18, 2011, 01:28:04 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2011, 01:24:06 AM

In the West, we are sufficiently removed from the Dark Ages to be shocked by these things. A concept you stone carving Poles will not understand.

Of course, there's not a lot you folks DO understand, so I guess there's no real need for such repetition. Let a dead Winged Hussar lie, so to speak.

Even though, I will admit, the thought of kicking dead polacks is somewhat amusing.

But I digress.

Didn't get half of these references. Or were you just rambling? :D