And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Zeus on April 17, 2011, 11:58:35 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2011, 09:57:27 AM
I have three different first books on my shelf right now I bought on recommendation from varioues Languish posters.

Gene Wolfs Shadow & Claw
Glen Cooks Black Company
Steven Eriksons Gardens of the Moon

I think I actually read all of Gardens of the Moon. It was...well...terrible. It went all over the place, had no discenible point to it, and I suspect this was intentional - the authors rather infantile way of saying "Hey, check me out! Look how original and cutting edge I am! I will not be limited by the conventions of your conventional ways of telling conventional stories!"

The Black Company I remember reading and just thinking "Meh." and never had any desire to find the next book.

Only Shadow and Claw intrigues me - I could NOT get into the book, yet I feel like I am missing something as a result. I think there is a pretty good story in there, so maybe I will try it again.

Sadly, the one fantasy that I read as a result of hearing about it here that I actually liked came from a recommendation from Tim. :cry:

Awesome series. Loved the first three books and never found the rest.

They are all in omnibus versions by Tor.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zeus

I meant I found the first volume of the first three.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

Ed Anger

I'm sorta dreading the new ones Cook is writing. He killed off everybody interesting or stuck them on the glittering plain.

I just don't see where he can go with it. Unless it is a book of nude sketches of Soulcatcher.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2011, 09:57:27 AM

Sadly, the one fantasy that I read as a result of hearing about it here that I actually liked came from a recommendation from Tim. :cry:
Which one! :w00t:

I also couldn't get into Garden of the Moon, though I did like the Black Company. Haven't read the other one though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2011, 11:18:46 AM
The map sucks.

I'm a bit baffled as to why Yemen would need more territory.  They can't rule over the part they nominally control.  Same with Afghanistan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Raz, have you read the Amber series by Roger Zelazny?  If not, there's your series.  Short, well-written, and interesting.  I wouldn't bother with the second Amber series, which were more pot-boilerish.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 17, 2011, 06:39:40 PM
Raz, have you read the Amber series by Roger Zelazny?  If not, there's your series.  Short, well-written, and interesting.  I wouldn't bother with the second Amber series, which were more pot-boilerish.

I'll pick it up then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Maximus

I second both of these comments. I read them in an omnibus of all ten books, but the first five were vastly superior to the later ones. And it says something that they could fit all ten in one volume.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Maximus on April 17, 2011, 07:34:58 PM

I second both of these comments. I read them in an omnibus of all ten books, but the first five were vastly superior to the later ones. And it says something that they could fit all ten in one volume.

:yes:
It's a great series. I've reread the first 5 a few times.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HisMajestyBOB

Anyone else watching the HBO show?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Grey Fox

I'll watch it when it shows up online.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 17, 2011, 08:20:13 PM
Anyone else watching the HBO show?

I did.  You see more tits then an hour on Cinemax.  Maybe that's why they bought the rights to it.

LaCroix

it's pretty fantastic. it seems a casualty is feudalism's lower-tier :hmm:

merithyn

Just saw it. Well done, but someone who hasn't read the books is going to be very, very confused, I think.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

LaCroix

those i saw it with were more unnerved by the sudden rush of rough child rape + incest + implied death of a child :D