News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mosschops

Quote from: Gups on April 15, 2011, 03:24:05 AM
I read Gardens of the Moon recently. If you like reading D&D scenarios it's OK I guess. Won't bother with the rest of the series.

To be fair its by far the worst in the series, the second book is probably the best though. It does get a bit messy after that.

Siege

Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2011, 04:08:37 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 15, 2011, 03:47:32 PM
I read Gardens of the Moon recently. If you like reading D&D scenarios it's OK I guess. Won't bother with the rest of the series.

Who The Fuck Are You? (tm)

Respect your elders. :mad:

That is Emperor Gupta.

Whoa, the glorious emperor made it here?
I thought he was still in Paradox forums sucking dick.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2011, 04:08:37 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 15, 2011, 03:47:32 PM

Who The Fuck Are You? (tm)

Respect your elders. :mad:

That is Emperor Gupta.

Mola Ram returns!

grumbler

Agree.  I felt the same way about Wizards' First Rule (or something like that), which also spawned many sequels in spite of being just the exact Star Wars story only without space ships.

I understand perfectly why modern fantasy is so disdained.  It sucks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2011, 06:42:40 PM
Mola Ram returns!
Where is Agelastus?  He is the other Brit with Wit, and we need him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2011, 06:35:09 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2011, 06:42:40 PM
Mola Ram returns!
Where is Agelastus?  He is the other Brit with Wit, and we need him.

British Tim with the lego butt plug?  I wouldn't call that wit..
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I would like to read a fantasy novel again, but I have two criteria:

It be fairly well written

If it be part of a series it already is finished.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2011, 06:43:17 PM

The Black Company Ignore anything past the first three.  they are complete.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I tried to the Black Company.  I think I read the first book, but it just didn't jell with me.  It did have an interesting setting though.

Ed Anger

I guess I'll skip recommending Cook's Dread Empire series then.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2011, 06:43:17 PM

Codex Alera series, by Jim Butcher, is finished and has ~5 or 6 books.
By the same author of The Dresden Files, which is an awesome urban fantasy series.  Dresden Files isn't finished yet, but he's regularly put out one book a year with it.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 16, 2011, 07:06:40 PMBy the same author of The Dresden Files, which is an awesome urban fantasy series.  Dresden Files isn't finished yet, but he's regularly put out one book a year with it.

Apparently the RPG is all the rave with the young people these days, too.

Josquius

China Miéville's books are pretty good. They're self contained stories set in the same world so no waiting for a series to finish.

I think I need to read more fantasy really. When I was younger I was Forgotten Realms obsessed but thats pretty much all I've read beyond Tolkein, I've mostly been a sci-fi guy. Never really realised there was a lot of good fantasy until quite recently.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I did enjoy the light Fantasy of David Eddings.  At least to a certain point.  That was a guy who knew how to write one book over and over again.  I admit I like the more epic fantasy of Tolkien to the power fantasies of Moorcock and Leiber.

Siege

Alternate history works better for me than fantasy.
These are the last 3 I got into:
- The Change by S. M. Stirling
- Destroyermen by Taylor Anderson
- The Ring of Fire by Eric Flint

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"