And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Maximus on April 14, 2011, 12:52:26 PM
I think you mean "manservant".

I think that was actually the most interesting book.

That storyline was certainly up there.

I prefer the Chain of Dogs, myself.

What I find most wonderful about Erikson however is how deftly he weaves it all together. It's obvious a LOT of planning went into the project.

Edit: I should perhaps note that "Pung" is Swedish for "ball sack". Somehow I suspect Erikson knows this.  :hmm:

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

I have read its already made back over half its budget just in overseas sales. Add in the advertising money and...yeah.

I'm curious about the second series though. The first book is mostly the main characters messing around in the city and playing politics with each other, battles only show up at the end. The second book though...a lot more action. Will be a very unique, never done before TV show (well, moreso than it already is) and expensive...
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on April 14, 2011, 02:50:29 PM
I have read its already made back over half its budget just in overseas sales. Add in the advertising money and...yeah.

Excellent.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Advertising is only for Europe though. It runs here on HBO without ads.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Reading that article:

QuoteShowrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss have been told to start thinking about storylines for next season,
:unsure:

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2011, 02:53:41 PM
Advertising is only for Europe though. It runs here on HBO without ads.
Weird, thought US TV was all about advertising. Guess it explains its odd running length on the TV guide.

But still, HBO makes its money from good shows somehow, though how they connect shows and subscribers beyond new ones appearing for new shows is beyond me. Then there's merchandice, DVD sales, etc... I think this will be quite profitable.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Yes. HBO is a subscription based channel and gets its revenues directly from its subscribers. And yes, merchandise. Buying a season's worth of their HBO programs can cost an arm and a leg.
Civis Romanus Sum

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on April 14, 2011, 03:08:06 PM
But still, HBO makes its money from good shows somehow, though how they connect shows and subscribers beyond new ones appearing for new shows is beyond me. Then there's merchandice, DVD sales, etc... I think this will be quite profitable.

People subscribe to see good shows and cancel when they do not have good shows out.  They track it but it is an imperfect science.  They wiffed by cancelling 'Rome' they had no idea how popular and profitable it was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I'm curious about the second series though. The first book is mostly the main characters messing around in the city and playing politics with each other, battles only show up at the end. The second book though...a lot more action. Will be a very unique, never done before TV show (well, moreso than it already is) and expensive...

Not sure I agree. The "behind the scenes" plot is mostly action, but it is still a character-driven story - you just move the set to the battle camp or shit. Just think the way they did "Rome" - it's not like they all sat in Rome and conspired either.

Siege

I just read the overview of Gardens Of The Moon, the first book of that Ericksson dude, and I don't like it.
The reason ASOIAF appeals to me is because it is so light in magic and so heavy in feudal conflict.
This dude Ericksson seem to write just another run of the mill fantasy crap.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Slargos

Quote from: Siege on April 14, 2011, 04:28:53 PM
I just read the overview of Gardens Of The Moon, the first book of that Ericksson dude, and I don't like it.
The reason ASOIAF appeals to me is because it is so light in magic and so heavy in feudal conflict.
This dude Ericksson seem to write just another run of the mill fantasy crap.

Sure. No argument.

And the Torah is just another adventure book about spaghetti monsters.

jimmy olsen

Woah, you're right it's selling at $2.5 million per episode. That beats the Sopranos!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hbo-top-1-billion-international-176907
QuoteThe network's new series "Game of Thrones" has already become its best-selling series abroad, beating prices fetched by "The Sopranos."

NEW YORK – Time Warner's HBO expects to top $1 billion in international revenue this year, up about 50% over the figure it recorded three years ago, the Wall Street Journal reported.

In a latest sign of international success, the premium pay network's newest show, Game of Thrones, premieres on Sunday, but has already become HBO's best-selling series abroad ever, fetching more than $2.5 million an episode, more than 50% above the international price tag for The Sopranos, the paper said.

"We have significantly accelerated our international thrust over the past few years," HBO CEO Bill Nelson told the Journal. "We have broken through at a much, much higher level than in the past, and have found that our programming not only crosses geographical boundaries but cultural ones as well."

While the network's number of paying U.S. subscribers has remained virtually flat at 40 million, its international users have increased to more than 42 million this year from about 28 million in 2007, the Journal said.

The paper highlighted that Thrones lies at the intersection of several strategic focus areas for HBO, including international growth, a renewed focus on originals and technological advances.

For example, it will be the first show that will see HBO make available some episodes via burgeoning streaming video service HBO Go before they are televised. Early next month, the service, designed to strengthen the bond that subscribers have with HBO, will be available on the iPad and Android devices.

"The value of video streaming has become so important to the customer that we've realized it's a vital part of the subscription service," said Eric Kessler, co-president of HBO.

Meanwhile, according to the Journal, HBO has in the past three years doubled spending on finding and developing original series, such as Boardwalk Empire, True Blood and Thrones, amid an industry-wide focus on originals.

"Original programming is the centerpiece of our brand and what our subscribers continue to cite as a main reason why they want HBO," co-president Richard Plepler told the Journal. "It helps drive viewership, international growth and the back end of our business."

HBO is shooting more pilots with big-name talent, including an Aaron Sorkin project about the cable news business and Veep, a political comedy with Julia Louis-Dreyfus that is set in the vice president's office.

Agent Ari Emanuel, who represents Sorkin, told the Journal that his clients are gravitating toward HBO in a world of an expanding number of outlets and distribution platforms due to its brand. "In a world with infinite distribution, brand recognition becomes so important," he said. "Besides [Walt Disney Co.], HBO is one of the few places that has it."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Gups

I read Gardens of the Moon recently. If you like reading D&D scenarios it's OK I guess. Won't bother with the rest of the series.

Siege

Quote from: Gups on April 15, 2011, 03:24:05 AM
I read Gardens of the Moon recently. If you like reading D&D scenarios it's OK I guess. Won't bother with the rest of the series.

Who The Fuck Are You? (tm)

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Barrister

Quote from: Siege on April 15, 2011, 03:47:32 PM
Quote from: Gups on April 15, 2011, 03:24:05 AM

Who The Fuck Are You? (tm)

Respect your elders. :mad:

That is Emperor Gupta.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.