News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on May 14, 2019, 01:04:37 AM
Two episodes ago she allowed her force to be decimated and her life to be put at risk to save those she's now wantonly burning alive.
at this point, she was still expected to be welcomed as a saviour.  And I don't think she allowed her force to be decimated.  Her force was decimated in a battle she thought she could win without too much difficulty.

I do not know why Bran was not used to scout ahead and see the extent of the ennemy's force...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on May 14, 2019, 10:56:10 AM
and becoming the ruiner of Zoupa's modern feminist idol he was building in his own head, makes perfect sense.
she is a feminist.  She's burning a little more than her bra :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on May 14, 2019, 01:59:16 AM
Also, Cersei deserved better than dying caught in debris, imho. Rather anticlimatic.
true.  Great episode, lots of weakpoints though.

Zoupa

Tamas' weird fixation aside, if you have to debate and do a 10 minutes video after each episode explaining shit instead of actually showing it during the episode, it makes for a shitty show. Sorry.

I'm the biggest fanboi, but seasons 7 and 8 are weak sauce. Show, don't tell, and let characters develop organically. Why do you think half of viewers are disappointed? Why are the critics relatively bad? Are we all dumb?

Tamas

Quote from: Zoupa on May 14, 2019, 11:05:06 AM
Tamas' weird fixation aside, if you have to debate and do a 10 minutes video after each episode explaining shit instead of actually showing it during the episode, it makes for a shitty show. Sorry.

I'm the biggest fanboi, but seasons 7 and 8 are weak sauce. Show, don't tell, and let characters develop organically. Why do you think half of viewers are disappointed? Why are the critics relatively bad? Are we all dumb?

No argument that overall it's been a very weak two seasons. I wrote here last week that all my expectations were gone and I was being honest. Compared to zero expectations I liked the episode. If you showed it to me straight after, say, season 3, I would have no doubt hated it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on May 14, 2019, 10:54:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 14, 2019, 06:15:50 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on May 14, 2019, 06:08:00 AM
The internet is in shock and anger about dragon warcrimes committed by a feminist icon.

It will probably be great in the books. If they are ever get written.

Yeah, it's silly to bring feminism into it, like Zoupa is trying. The daughter of a rampaging psycho king leading an army of horse raiders plus 3 dragons, coming to take  back her throne and literally nobody asked her from Westeros to do so. Sure, the actual TV execution of the ensuing rampage was over the top, but in terms of the end result being her rampaging through people could not have been avoided.

It's not that I'm trying to bring feminism into it.[spoiler] It's that if the leaks are true, then boring goody two shoes saves the day from crazy lady that used to save people til 2 weeks ago but now decided to burn kids for shits and giggles. [/spoiler]

It's lame.

Please don't talk about the leaks.  Just about the show.

Zoupa

Sorry, I'm on mobile, don't know how to do the spoiler thing.

crazy canuck

I put them around your text in my quote.  You could just delete your post.

Zoupa

I fixed it. I'm dumb, the SP thingie was right there.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2019, 04:53:07 AM
The Dani heel turn was quite unnecessary.  They could have had the final conflict between her and Jon be based on her being much less of an existential threat and brought to a head by, say, her ordering the execution of Davos, or Tyrion, or Samwell.

They could have everything just the way they did up to the point the bells ring.  At which point Dany does a beeline for Cersei and takes down the red keep, only the flaming debris falling off the keep ignites some other fires that spread and trigger some wildfire caches etc. causing the whole city to go.  She feels guilt for destroying King's Landing but is publicly defensive and self-righteous about it, causing dissent within the ranks; the news of Snow's parentage leaks out further, the northern armies split, etc. It would have required few material changes from the episode, really just cutting out the scenes of Drogon doing fire lines through the back alleys of King's Landing and some of the more ridiculous Fireball spell effects.  A large medieval city going up in flames is sufficiently horrible visually without the need for more.

That allows them to steer toward the desired ending without the simplistic and reductionist Dany goes nuts line.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on May 14, 2019, 10:57:13 AM
BTW those commenting that this is an "of course she goes mad she is a woman" moment need to look into themselves, because it has nothing to do with it, and if THEY had those thoughts, well, that's own them.

No it's almost as bad if not worse, it's "of course she goes mad, her genes are messed up" moment. 
It makes the entire 8 TV seasons of her story irrelevant.  Her fate was decided before she appeared in the first scene.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 14, 2019, 11:56:05 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2019, 04:53:07 AM
The Dani heel turn was quite unnecessary.  They could have had the final conflict between her and Jon be based on her being much less of an existential threat and brought to a head by, say, her ordering the execution of Davos, or Tyrion, or Samwell.

They could have everything just the way they did up to the point the bells ring.  At which point Dany does a beeline for Cersei and takes down the red keep, only the flaming debris falling off the keep ignites some other fires that spread and trigger some wildfire caches etc. causing the whole city to go.  She feels guilt for destroying King's Landing but is publicly defensive and self-righteous about it, causing dissent within the ranks; the news of Snow's parentage leaks out further, the northern armies split, etc. It would have required few material changes from the episode, really just cutting out the scenes of Drogon doing fire lines through the back alleys of King's Landing and some of the more ridiculous Fireball spell effects.  A large medieval city going up in flames is sufficiently horrible visually without the need for more.

That allows them to steer toward the desired ending without the simplistic and reductionist Dany goes nuts line.

Yes, another variant which would have been consistent with what happened during the sack of Meereen is that after the wall is breached the army of the North streams through and takes vengeance for all the insults they have suffered by going on a orgy of violence, similar to what the fighting slaves did to Meereen.  Dany does not destroy the city with fire in this scenario but instead puts a stop to the violence and suffers the political fall caused by being perceived as protecting the South.  Word of Jon's true identity leaks out you have the makings of a dynastic confiict with between two viable candidates each worthy in their own way.

But it is too easy to follow the trope of a woman scorned who becomes emotional and is the cause of everyone's destruction.  God I hope this does not end with a man redeeming her.  It would destroy her arc completely.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 14, 2019, 12:16:04 PM
God I hope this does not end with a man redeeming her.  It would destroy her arc completely.

There is not a chance of that happening.

All the other bad guys are gone.  Cersei, Night King, Ramsay Bolton, Walder Frey, Littlefinger, Tywin, Joffrey... all dead.  Dany has gone full heel (to use wrestling lingo) and it is opposition to her that will drive the final bit of narrative.

A redemption arc can be powerful (think Jaime's story), but would take time to develop, which is something they definitely don't have.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 14, 2019, 12:44:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 14, 2019, 12:16:04 PM
God I hope this does not end with a man redeeming her.  It would destroy her arc completely.

There is not a chance of that happening.

All the other bad guys are gone.  Cersei, Night King, Ramsay Bolton, Walder Frey, Littlefinger, Tywin, Joffrey... all dead.  Dany has gone full heel (to use wrestling lingo) and it is opposition to her that will drive the final bit of narrative.

A redemption arc can be powerful (think Jaime's story), but would take time to develop, which is something they definitely don't have.

I can easily conceive of more sloppy writing in which she falls into Jon's arms.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.