Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Solmyr

Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2019, 01:56:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2019, 01:37:01 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 13, 2019, 01:03:49 PM
I guess after having watched all other episodes, I might as well watch the last episode, but this is a rather weak end to what used to be a great show.

Yeah, I think it is going to boil down to this.  Jon is the Prince that was promised.  Although at this point who cares.  The Night King was not the existential threat everyone thought he was.  Dani is crazy and so Tyrion is going to have to turn on her and Arya will likely kill her.  Jon will likely die as a result of indecision and ongoing incompetence bringing an end to the Targaryean line [spoiler]at least in the show[/spoiler] and Sansa will sit as Queen of the North  - the only interesting things left are will she bother also ruling the Seven Kingdoms and will she be reunited with Tyrion (the only truly likable character left).

Nah... I'm thinking Jon kills her. Daenerys kills Tyrion.
Sansa leads a rebellion. The north secedes from the Seven Kingdoms.

The leak that I posted some pages back has been entirely true so far, and this is not what will happen.

celedhring

I haven't seen those spoilers, but I hope we don't end up with a "Jon kills Dany but refuses to take the throne, Tyrion and friends create a ruling council" type thing - which means that 10 years after the show (tops) there's another civil war so not really an ending at all.

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2019, 02:05:43 AM
I had thought they'd kill Arya in the stampede. Would be a realistic though painfully cheap end.

Euron and Qyburn felt just there to give cersei someone to talk to after their relevant parts of the series were done.

What part did Euron play? I mean, I guess he had a hand in setting Theon up for redemption, but the whole Iron Islands arc has been completely thrown away.

grumbler

What kills me is that the show has not been "rushed to a conclusion."  Episode 4, for instance, had about ten minutes of necessary plot-moving, and lots of wasted time and space.  I am wondering if GRRM didn't really have an ending, but quickly assembled this ending because he was contractually obligated to provide one.

The Dani heel turn was quite unnecessary.  They could have had the final conflict between her and Jon be based on her being much less of an existential threat and brought to a head by, say, her ordering the execution of Davos, or Tyrion, or Samwell.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

I think they envisioned the burning of King's Landing as a "red wedding" kinda shock moment for the show. It just felt massively forced and jump-sharky.

FunkMonk

It's apparent that everyone just stopped caring. D&D refused to do more than 6 episodes and the actors are all tired of this show.

I do wonder about the idea of doing a reboot of just the last couple of seasons in, say, 10 years.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 14, 2019, 05:25:16 AM
It's apparent that everyone just stopped caring. D&D refused to do more than 6 episodes and the actors are all tired of this show.

I do wonder about the idea of doing a reboot of just the last couple of seasons in, say, 10 years.  :lol:

D&D have nice stuff lined up already, but most of the actors in this will be in crap after the show is over. Clarke had a Hollywood moment 2-3 years ago, but it died out quickly.

saskganesh

The internet is in shock and anger about dragon warcrimes committed by a feminist icon.

It will probably be great in the books. If they are ever get written.
humans were created in their own image

Tamas

Quote from: saskganesh on May 14, 2019, 06:08:00 AM
The internet is in shock and anger about dragon warcrimes committed by a feminist icon.

Yeah, it's silly to bring feminism into it, like Zoupa is trying. The daughter of a rampaging psycho king leading an army of horse raiders plus 3 dragons, coming to take  back her throne and literally nobody asked her from Westeros to do so. Sure, the actual TV execution of the ensuing rampage was over the top, but in terms of the end result being her rampaging through people could not have been avoided.

Josephus

In case you guys haven't read enough newspaper pundits punditing profusely on the subject, here's one from the Globe and Mail
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/article-game-of-thrones-episode-5-review-a-viciously-stupid-cheap-and

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 13, 2019, 10:24:00 PM
Turning her into a straight up nut that finally snapped blows it all up.  It can't be justified.
hmm, I see it in another light.

Everytime, she had people advising her restraint, she relanted, and used restraint.  Everytime she was alone, she burned people alive.  She forgave Jorah, a long time advisor, because he was a dying man.

Jorah is dead, Missandei is dead.  Half of her forces are depleted.  Tyrion told her once the battle was lost, people would rebel against Cersei.  They did not rebel, they did not cheer her up either.

She freed the unsullied and incited the slaves to kill their masters, no matter how cruel or compassionate they had been.

On more than one occasion she wanted to burn a city, but her advisors urged her restraint.

Now, she is alone, she is angry about many things, and she decides if she isn't loved immediatly, she will be feared.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Quote from: Tamas on May 14, 2019, 06:15:50 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on May 14, 2019, 06:08:00 AM

Yeah, it's silly to bring feminism into it, like Zoupa is trying. The daughter of a rampaging psycho king leading an army of horse raiders plus 3 dragons, coming to take  back her throne and literally nobody asked her from Westeros to do so. Sure, the actual TV execution of the ensuing rampage was over the top, but in terms of the end result being her rampaging through people could not have been avoided.

It's not that I'm trying to bring feminism into it. It's that if the leaks are true, [spoiler]then boring goody two shoes saves the day from crazy lady that used to save people til 2 weeks ago but now decided to burn kids for shits and giggles. [/spoiler]

It's lame.

Tamas

Quote from: viper37 on May 14, 2019, 10:52:07 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 13, 2019, 10:24:00 PM
Turning her into a straight up nut that finally snapped blows it all up.  It can't be justified.
hmm, I see it in another light.

Everytime, she had people advising her restraint, she relanted, and used restraint.  Everytime she was alone, she burned people alive.  She forgave Jorah, a long time advisor, because he was a dying man.

Jorah is dead, Missandei is dead.  Half of her forces are depleted.  Tyrion told her once the battle was lost, people would rebel against Cersei.  They did not rebel, they did not cheer her up either.

She freed the unsullied and incited the slaves to kill their masters, no matter how cruel or compassionate they had been.

On more than one occasion she wanted to burn a city, but her advisors urged her restraint.

Now, she is alone, she is angry about many things, and she decides if she isn't loved immediatly, she will be feared.

:yes:

Plus the very advisors who advised restraints have utterly failed/betrayed her, from her point of view.

Her snapping makes perfect sense. The details of the snapping were poorly done because, duh, its the same writers like the previous episodes, but the fact of her snapping and becoming the ruiner of Zoupa's modern feminist idol he was building in his own head, makes perfect sense.

Tamas

BTW those commenting that this is an "of course she goes mad she is a woman" moment need to look into themselves, because it has nothing to do with it, and if THEY had those thoughts, well, that's own them.