And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2019, 02:03:42 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 06, 2019, 04:05:36 PM
There's been a kind of leak of what happens in episodes 4-6. It's not certain if it's all true, but much of it did happen in episode 4. Warning, do not click this unless you are fine with potentially massive spoilers including the final resolution: SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER

Well...it really looks like this spoiler is absolutely correct.

It does, doesn't it.

[spoiler]It feels like "you know, we spent all this time with Bran, I guess we have to do something with him in the end" in order to justify the investment.[/spoiler]
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Heh, since the start they continued the stupid stuff with the Golden Company lining up outside the city, making me fed up with the whole thing, I actually liked the rest.

If we accept that Dany had affinity for going berserk, this was as good a time as any.

And I really liked the civilian viewpoint of the ordeal. Usually even in war movies let alone fantasy ones such battles are these glorious thrillrides. It was a nice idea to show how it would look like for 99% of the people ending up in the middle of it.

Tamas

Also it is good they moved away from the clear evil-good pairing, which is more in the spirit of the books.

Tamas

Oh and sticking with just the TV and Dany not making sense:

https://9gag.com/gag/an98rpV?ref=android

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2019, 01:37:01 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 13, 2019, 01:03:49 PM
I guess after having watched all other episodes, I might as well watch the last episode, but this is a rather weak end to what used to be a great show.

Yeah, I think it is going to boil down to this.  Jon is the Prince that was promised.  Although at this point who cares.  The Night King was not the existential threat everyone thought he was.  Dani is crazy and so Tyrion is going to have to turn on her and Arya will likely kill her.  Jon will likely die as a result of indecision and ongoing incompetence bringing an end to the Targaryean line [spoiler]at least in the show[/spoiler] and Sansa will sit as Queen of the North  - the only interesting things left are will she bother also ruling the Seven Kingdoms and will she be reunited with Tyrion (the only truly likable character left).

[spoiler]Which other Targaryen are you referring to? Aegon clearly isn't one (most likely a Blackfyre), and unless you're referring to the silly Tyrion theory...[/spoiler]
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on May 13, 2019, 02:54:47 PM
I guess after having watched all other episodes, I might as well watch the last episode, but this is a rather weak end to what used to be a great show.

Yeah, I think it is going to boil down to this.  Jon is the Prince that was promised.  Although at this point who cares.  The Night King was not the existential threat everyone thought he was.  Dani is crazy and so Tyrion is going to have to turn on her and Arya will likely kill her.  Jon will likely die as a result of indecision and ongoing incompetence bringing an end to the Targaryean line [spoiler]at least in the show[/spoiler] and Sansa will sit as Queen of the North  - the only interesting things left are will she bother also ruling the Seven Kingdoms and will she be reunited with Tyrion (the only truly likable character left).

[spoiler]Which other Targaryen are you referring to? Aegon clearly isn't one (most likely a Blackfyre), and unless you're referring to the silly Tyrion theory...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Clearly?  He might be a Blackfyre but he is claiming to be a Targaryen (he certainly looks like one) and all that really matters is whether he is believed or not.  He is after all on his way with his mercenaries[/spoiler]

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2019, 03:06:23 PM

[spoiler]Clearly?  He might be a Blackfyre but he is claiming to be a Targaryen (he certainly looks like one) and all that really matters is whether he is believed or not.  He is after all on his way with his mercenaries[/spoiler]

Well, sure, if all we're counting is [spoiler]him claiming to be a Targaryen, then fine.[/spoiler] No disagreement there. [spoiler]But he isn't one, which is what I was contesting.[/spoiler]  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on May 13, 2019, 03:23:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2019, 03:06:23 PM

Well, sure, if all we're counting is [spoiler]him claiming to be a Targaryen, then fine.[/spoiler] No disagreement there. [spoiler]But he isn't one, which is what I was contesting.[/spoiler]  :P

[spoiler]Have you seen the DNA tests[/spoiler]  :P

Josquius

Well. Dany's heelturn was forseen.
But the execution. Pff
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on May 13, 2019, 03:32:09 PM
Well. Dany's heelturn was forseen.
But the execution. Pff

Yeah, gotta agree with that. It has been telegraphed since season 7, and like most things done in the past two seasons, executed rather poorly.

But it's a compelling story if done well, hopefully the books can succeed there.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2019, 11:30:06 PM
The scene between Tyrion and Jamie was excellent but did nobody notice he was gone?
Possibly.  But they have a battle to prepare, they don't really care for now.  Tyrion will burn next week.

And what were they doing with Euron? That scene made no sense.
No, it didn't.  Lovers' squabble, they needed to kill both characters.  It was done in a silly way though.

Also, glad to see the dragon is powerful again - the other one didn't have enough plot armour I guess. 
They ran out of heat seeking missiles :(

Seriously, if you notice something, it's that dragons are better at avoiding missiles when they have Daenerys on them to stear them away.

What was the point in killings it off in that silly way or at all?
To emphasize how mad can Daenerys become when she loses something/someone dear.  These dragons are her children, they killed one of them.  She's angry.  Hell hath no fury, etc, etc. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

On the bright side, the ballista seemed to be by and large far more realistically shit.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on May 13, 2019, 01:55:23 AM
Betraying the Slaver's Bay merchants and burning them alive, crucifying hundreds of Masters, feeding the heads of Mereenese great houses to her dragons, burning all of the khals alive, demanding that the heads of the Slaver's Bay armies pick one of their number to die and then killing the two who didn't volunteer, burning the Tarlys alive, etc. Her solutions are always violent and often wantonly so.
that.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on May 13, 2019, 03:35:33 PM
On the bright side, the ballista seemed to be by and large far more realistically shit.

Plot-driven variable aim always bugs me though, as prevalent as it is in movies.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 13, 2019, 06:53:08 AM
I thought that the episode was pretty good, though obviously suffering from lazy Writer Syndrome, what with Dani suddenly going insane at the moment when the action would otherwise have stopped.
That was the good part.
QuoteThere were some good and well-written character moments, mixed with some truly bizarre ones (what are the odds Euron would made it to exactly the same secret cove at exactly the same time as Jamie?). 
That was lazy writing.

The burning of the city took way too long and the power of the dragon's fire blast reached the point where I was laughing out loud at the absurdity of the whole city exploding at its touch.  One miraculous escape for Arya would have been enough; six were overkill.
Hmm, we seen green fire at some point, so I figured the fire triggered some of the wildfire explosives that were hidden in the city.