News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinning_Colossus

Betraying the Slaver's Bay merchants and burning them alive, crucifying hundreds of Masters, feeding the heads of Mereenese great houses to her dragons, burning all of the khals alive, demanding that the heads of the Slaver's Bay armies pick one of their number to die and then killing the two who didn't volunteer, burning the Tarlys alive, etc. Her solutions are always violent and often wantonly so.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Zoupa

Another problem is 2 weeks ago, the evilest dude in Westeros was the Night King. Last week it was Cersei. This week it's Dany. It doesn't make for good storytelling.

Also I want to remind everybody that Stannis only burned one child alive. #teamStannis

Solmyr

That horse is clearly a Targaryen, since it appears to be immune to fire. Horseon Targaryen for the Iron Throne!

Grinning_Colossus

Theory: It's somehow the same horse that Drogo gave to Dany as a wedding present. Or did she have to eat it in season 2?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

FunkMonk

It's clear now that Stannis was the one true King, and anybody who said otherwise was made to look incredibly foolish now.

Also, that was a pale horse at the end lmao this show's writing, I love it
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Iormlund

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2019, 10:05:04 PM
Best episodes this season.

Really? I thought it was truly awful. I had to force myself to finish it, and then I could only do it by jumping ahead every scene or two. At least in the battle at Winterfell we didn't know who would survive.

katmai

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2019, 11:33:37 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 12, 2019, 11:18:51 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on May 12, 2019, 10:30:18 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 12, 2019, 10:09:05 PM
What an utter shit show.  This is embarrassingly bad at this point. :(

It's utter schlock now. Just turn your brain off and appreciate it for what it is.
that episode was great. Not perfect, but great.

I think the people who liked it are the same ones who liked the Avengers movie - better able to ignore bad writing and just enjoy the spectacle.
Hey! now wait a minute buddy.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Solmyr

So, I bet all those people who named their child after Daenerys are really happy now.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2019, 07:17:07 PM

I am enjoying the ride, but the last few seasons have been a lot more "Guardians of the Galaxy" type enjoyment than anything particularly thoughtful.
That's an insult to the Guardians of the Galaxy
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Iormlund

Yeah, at least those movies don't take themselves too seriously.

FunkMonk

I hope they keep going Full Fan Fic. It should end like this:

5 YEARS LATER
INT. THRONE ROOM, DRAGONSTONE

Dany sits on her newly crafted Iron Throne. In Westeros, her Unsullied hunt down the last remaining anti-Dragon Queen forces with Gestapo efficiency. The land is burnt, the sky blackened by the smoke from 10,000 fires burning into infinity. Westeros is blanketed by the Ashes of the Night.

JON stands before Dany.

DANY
And how do you respond to these charges of treason?

JON
I only ever loved you, my grace. What happened to you, to us?

Dany stands.

DANY
I rule as the Dragon Queen of Westeros! Love is not necessary. Only fear.

JON
But fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to (his ears droop) suffering. And our people are suffering!

DANY
And subjects who suffer kneel and obey.

JON
Yes, my Queen. I shall obey.

Jon kneels but in the blackness behind him a wind stirs the throne room. Suddenly, ARYA leaps from the darkness and over the kneeling Jon. She flies twenty, thirty, fifty feet in the air and, at the top of her lunge, time slows and the camera stops to rotate around her, Matrix-style. The dagger in her hand sparkles and illuminates the room.

Arya looks slightly at the camera.

ARYA
Obey this, Dragon bitch.

Arya's dagger buries deep within Danny's heart and she immediately bursts into fire and dissolves into ash. Outside, Drogon does the same. Her Unsullied spontaneously grow their balls back and abandon their posts, off to find new women to follow. Westeros is free.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

I thought that the episode was pretty good, though obviously suffering from lazy Writer Syndrome, what with Dani suddenly going insane at the moment when the action would otherwise have stopped.  There were some good and well-written character moments, mixed with some truly bizarre ones (what are the odds Euron would made it to exactly the same secret cove at exactly the same time as Jamie?). 

The burning of the city took way too long and the power of the dragon's fire blast reached the point where I was laughing out loud at the absurdity of the whole city exploding at its touch.  One miraculous escape for Arya would have been enough; six were overkill.

Probably the worst thing about the episode, though, was that it confirmed that a poster on another site was not "predicting" when he gave his detailed description of what he thought would happen.  The fucker knew and everything he "predicted," no matter how absurd, has happened these last two episodes.  So I know how it ends, and it doesn't end very satisfactorily (to me, at least).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2019, 11:33:37 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 12, 2019, 11:18:51 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on May 12, 2019, 10:30:18 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 12, 2019, 10:09:05 PM
What an utter shit show.  This is embarrassingly bad at this point. :(

It's utter schlock now. Just turn your brain off and appreciate it for what it is.
that episode was great. Not perfect, but great.

I think the people who liked it are the same ones who liked the Avengers movie - better able to ignore bad writing and just enjoy the spectacle.

Well in my case that's certainly not true. (I'd mention that I haven't seen any of those 22 movies, but last time I said that I got shat upon).

I think the people who didn't like it, are expecting GoT to be War and Peace or other such fine art. It always was actions-driven shlock, and the first few seasons even threw in some tits for fun.

GoT, the TV show, is just mind-numbing spectacle. Take it for what it is. Most people like it.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

I haven't actually been following GoT, but I thought you might enjoy an anecdote from another fandom: the Disney cartoon *Star vs. the Forces of Evil* is wrapping up its final season (as you all know, I do fan art for this), and in the antepenultimate episode they sprang a twist that had clearly been prepared and foreshadowed for a season and a half - one that was totally shocking and surprising but made perfect sense in hindsight.

Someone posted a pic on the Reddit fan site that showed a screenshot of the twist happening, with the caption "That moment when a Disney children's cartoon has better political twists than Game of Thrones." 

Obviously, the creation of a somewhat disgruntled fan of both shows.  :lol:

Though to be fair, it was a very well done shocking twist. A lot of fans going 'oh my fucking god I can't believe they did that' to their TV screens.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on May 13, 2019, 01:55:23 AM
Betraying the Slaver's Bay merchants and burning them alive, crucifying hundreds of Masters, feeding the heads of Mereenese great houses to her dragons, burning all of the khals alive, demanding that the heads of the Slaver's Bay armies pick one of their number to die and then killing the two who didn't volunteer, burning the Tarlys alive, etc. Her solutions are always violent and often wantonly so.

In each instance a response to a threat and/or betrayal, vistied upon the threat. She executes slaver masters and merchants becuse she is freeing slaves, she doesn't burn the slaves to save them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson