News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 12, 2019, 10:08:40 PMBest episode of the past 2 seasons.

Favorite part is when Jon stops and reflects on what is happening around him, and he's clearly thinking, "What if we're the baddies?"   :lol:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 12, 2019, 10:09:05 PM
What an utter shit show.  This is embarrassingly bad at this point. :(

It's utter schlock now. Just turn your brain off and appreciate it for what it is.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sophie Scholl

I keep trying to lower my expectations.  I keep failing to go low enough.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Zoupa

What was the point of Euron vs Jamie?

Why did the Breaker of Chains, who locked away her dragons for eating ONE child, decide to roast a city of millions? She really hates the sound of bells?

Great job on the Golden Company story arc. Totally worth the screen time.

Did they really fuck up 7 years of character development to have Jamie go back to being Cersei's lapdog? The guy who murdered his king Aerys because he was going to burn the city says he doesn't care about the smallfolk?

They've set up the next episode perfectly to have Jon or Arya murder Daenerys. The traditional hero kills the reformer woman in power because she's "emotional" or "unstable".

What the fuck. I reaaaaaaallllly hope GRRM does it differently.

HVC

The books foreshadowed Dany going
Mad king enough that it'll probably happen the the books too,  it probably not as clumsily.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zoupa

Where was it foreshadowed in the books? Serious question, it's been like 25 years since they first came out lol.

viper37

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 12, 2019, 10:30:18 PM

It's utter schlock now. Just turn your brain off and appreciate it for what it is.
that episode was great. Not perfect, but great.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on May 12, 2019, 10:37:51 PM
Why did the Breaker of Chains, who locked away her dragons for eating ONE child, decide to roast a city of millions? She really hates the sound of bells?
Did you watch any of the episodes until now or did you just started to watch the show? :)

Daenerys is like her father, she likes to burn those who crosses her, insult her, betray her, stand against her.

The people of King's Landing didn't rose up in revolt after Cersei's crimes so they're against her, in her mind.

Everything so far as been leading up to this, and she kind lost anyone who could have tempered her down.   First, to Cersei's betrayal by not sending troops, then to Cersei's killing her closest friend.

Great job on the Golden Company story arc. Totally worth the screen time.
Yes, indeed. No, wait, that was sarcasm? I mean, did you read any of the books? The number of pages wasted on characters, developping them, having them killed offhanded?  :)

Did they really fuck up 7 years of character development to have Jamie go back to being Cersei's lapdog? The guy who murdered his king Aerys because he was going to burn the city says he doesn't care about the smallfolk?
He might have been sarcastic... he was shown to care, more than once.  Like when he rode north to fight for the people?

They've set up the next episode perfectly to have Jon or Arya murder Daenerys. The traditional hero kills the reformer woman in power because she's "emotional" or "unstable".
Good.  Women shouldn't be exempt from assassination just because they're women.  Women shouldn't be great rulers just because they're women.

What the fuck. I reaaaaaaallllly hope GRRM does it differently.
Not by much.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on May 12, 2019, 10:14:02 PM
I, at least, am happy to say that my interpretation of the books was correct. Fire and Blood, indeed.

He didn't choke the life from her.  But at least she had tears and hands were around her neck.  Two out of three prophesy points.

The scene between Tyrion and Jamie was excellent but did nobody notice he was gone? And what were they doing with Euron? That scene made no sense. Also, glad to see the dragon is powerful again - the other one didn't have enough plot armour I guess.  What was the point in killings it off in that silly way or at all?

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 12, 2019, 11:18:51 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on May 12, 2019, 10:30:18 PM

that episode was great. Not perfect, but great.

I think the people who liked it are the same ones who liked the Avengers movie - better able to ignore bad writing and just enjoy the spectacle.

Razgovory

That episode was kind of hard to watch.  I'm actually okay with the this season.  There are silly things such as the main characters going from Winterfell to King's landing so fast.  They mention that the army was crossing the Trident and was two days from from King's landing, which might be true if they came by bus.  The things about big crossbows are silly but not seem nitpicking.  It's a show where people walk into the battlefield carrying only a long sword.  No armor, no helmet, no shield.  So gave up on historical accuracy in film a long time ago.

The biggest problem I have is how everyone looks to Jon as a leader despite him being remarkably dim.  Sansa started the show (and the books) as frivolous little girl and one of the characters I found the most boring.  She grew into a new role as administration and political leader.  Now she's one of my favorites.  Put her on the Iron Throne and have her marry Tyrion (again).  Let them rule the kingdoms jointly.

Shame about Varys, I liked him.  I knew he was going to die and he went to his death bravely.

This isn't the first time Dany went psycho, but her advisers were able to retrain her before.  This time she became a force of nature.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

HVC

I'm more upset that the two big bads had crappy deaths. At this rate Dany is gonna die when she trips getting off her dragon.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grinning_Colossus

The leaks are true, which kinda sucks. Still, 10/10 for execution. Anyone who by this point observed that dragons are evil monsters, Dothraki are violent barbarians, and Khaleesi is a war criminal is not surprised by this development.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

The Minsky Moment

Dany did some questionable things in the past, but nothing in her past would suggest she would burn an entire city of innocent people just for kicks. The show itself gives no reason for it other than (through Varys) the genetic roll of the dice, incredibly lazy writing. So her entire story line through the whole epic is meaningless - it doesn't matter what choices she made or what values she embraced because she was always just a ticking time bomb ready to go off.  It also makes so sense  - even Aerys didn't go mad all it once, it happened gradually over a couple decades.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson