News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on May 09, 2019, 12:51:14 PM
a vengeful mad queen who then decided not to murder Daenerys and put an end to the war. It was... it was weird. Seriously, are you a military genius? The realm should be accepting applications.
no need to be a military genius for that part.

If they shoot and miss, which is quite likely, given it is very slow and a human is a small target that can move fast, the dragon flies and burns them before they can reload.  Unless they have repeating scorpions, not an unlikely thought given their heat seaking targetting ordinances...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 09, 2019, 01:28:50 PM
a vengeful mad queen who then decided not to murder Daenerys and put an end to the war. It was... it was weird. Seriously, are you a military genius? The realm should be accepting applications.

If they shoot and miss, which is quite likely, given it is very slow and a human is a small target that can move fast, the dragon flies and burns them before they can reload.  Unless they have repeating scorpions, not an unlikely thought given their heat seaking targetting ordinances...

Hey, you could be a writer for the show  :P

You are missing the possibility that a force sallies from the City, overwhelms Dani's tiny group, and wins the war.  And the dragon - that is what the projectile weapons are for.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2019, 02:07:31 PM

You are missing the possibility that a force sallies from the City, overwhelms Dani's tiny group, and wins the war.  And the dragon - that is what the projectile weapons are for.
the small force of Dany backs away to rejoin the main group hiding behind the hills while the dragon covers their retreat. ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 09, 2019, 03:03:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2019, 02:07:31 PM

the small force of Dany backs away to rejoin the main group hiding behind the hills while the dragon covers their retreat. ;)

The dragon would have had to fly forward into range of the projectile weapons.  Dani and her group were on foot and easily caught.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2019, 03:15:45 PM
The dragon would have had to fly forward into range of the projectile weapons.  Dani and her group were on foot and easily caught.
The moment they see an army get out, they back away in formation.  The dragon only needs to breathe fire on them while backing away too, he does not need to fly.  In fact, just breathe intense fire on the ground in front of the army, it will at least slow them down until the fire goes out, giving them time to retreat.  If they are on horses, the horses will fear fire naturally and panick, dismounting their knights.  But the Golden company seems mainly composed of foot soldiers...

And I figure, at least hope, Dani's backup wasn't too far away.  Because if that is the remnant of her fleet, she's in deep shit :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 10, 2019, 10:29:21 AM
The moment they see an army get out, they back away in formation.  The dragon only needs to breathe fire on them while backing away too, he does not need to fly.  In fact, just breathe intense fire on the ground in front of the army, it will at least slow them down until the fire goes out, giving them time to retreat.  If they are on horses, the horses will fear fire naturally and panick, dismounting their knights.  But the Golden company seems mainly composed of foot soldiers...

And I figure, at least hope, Dani's backup wasn't too far away.  Because if that is the remnant of her fleet, she's in deep shit :P

Her main force had yet to arrive.  The dragon was off in the distance to avoid the projectiles. Easy pickings.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 10, 2019, 10:42:11 AM
Quote from: viper37 on May 10, 2019, 10:29:21 AM

Her main force had yet to arrive.  The dragon was off in the distance to avoid the projectiles. Easy pickings.
Yes her main force wasn't there, but she still had some Unsullied with her, more than what was shown.  At least I hope...

Any force coming out of the gates would have to close on them to attack.  That is where the dragon can come useful.

Not that it makes sense in any way...  Wait for the main force to lay siege, then negotiate.  Dorne and the Ironborn can show up later, reinforcing the blockade.

Sometimes I wonder if they make their characters do some stupid strategic mistakes or they just have never played any Total War game :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 10, 2019, 12:17:19 PM
Any force coming out of the gates would have to close on them to attack.  That is where the dragon can come useful.

Kings Landing is a very large city with many gates and sally ports.  Easy to send a force out to surround and capture/kill.  She has 20k mercenaries at her disposal after all.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 10, 2019, 12:34:09 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 10, 2019, 12:17:19 PM

Kings Landing is a very large city with many gates and sally ports.  Easy to send a force out to surround and capture/kill.  She has 20k mercenaries at her disposal after all.
the way it is shown, it's like the only gate accessible to this part of the landscape.

Tamas

It looked like some small fortification TBH.

Really, my expectations for the last two episodes have plummeted to zero. I won't give up before the penultimate episode, but I fully expect them to be inconsistent drivel.

KRonn

I'm in agreement with most of you who found the scorpion bolts way too damaging to the ships. Plus the dragon getting hit? First off, Dany was scouting the area and would have seen the enemy ships long before her fleet came in contact. That's what should have been happening since Dany and her commanders know the Iron Fleet is arrayed against them, a very powerful force that could be anywhere.

So the dragon shouldn't been close enough to be hit given that Dany would have seen the Iron fleet ships from  a distance. And could have seen the scorpions on deck, as she's seen the first dragon hit with a spear from the Undead King, and have taken precautions. Then she could have circled way around out of sight of the enemy ships, and approached from behind where the ship's sails/masts prevented the scorpions from shooting effectively. Could have flamed some of ships before the ships could maneuver to shoot back.

I wasn't happy with the battle at Winterfell either, as I said in an earlier post. All the Dothraki cavalry riding out un-supported and little idea of the nature of the enemy. They would have been better employed as a flanking force to swoop down on the enemy's rear during the battle. At that time they would have also had a better idea of what they were up against. Also the trebuchets should have been inside Winterfell walls, not in front of the Unsullied troops.

A much better battle scene could have been done in all those instances, and GoT certainly must have advisors on such things. So while I can understand that the studio probably wants to have some severe losses before probable eventual victory, I can't understand the botching of the battles tactics so badly.

Given the last Easter egg, I think all the armies should duke it out at the nearest Starbucks parking lot via duel by espresso..... ;) 

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2019, 10:05:04 PM
Best episodes this season.

Best episode of the past 2 seasons.

Favorite part is when Jon stops and reflects on what is happening around him, and he's clearly thinking, "What if we're the baddies?"   :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sophie Scholl

What an utter shit show.  This is embarrassingly bad at this point. :(
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Habbaku

I, at least, am happy to say that my interpretation of the books was correct. Fire and Blood, indeed.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien