News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I remember thinking when Tyion dropped off the ship that Nelson probably would have like to have cannonballs with that much power behind them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

This show is indeed stupid, but you all will still watch the next episode. I will.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 08, 2019, 07:36:51 PM
This show is indeed stupid, but you all will still watch the next episode. I will.

Sure, slow moving train wrecks are irresistible.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

I actually haven't watched an episode since Season 2. I just started to get annoyed by the little differences between the books and the show, so many of my favorite little things were getting left out. I knew it was petty but I figured later I would get over it and catch up. But then I heard about how they mangled one of the my favorite parts of the books: the Dorne stuff. And then they left out another one of mine in Jon Connington and the Golden Company. And now I hear it sucks shit and is lame.

So...I still plan on watching the whole thing some day. But I am not in a super hurry.

In a weird way I tend to get the gist of every episode just by osmosis, just existing on the internet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 08, 2019, 05:46:31 PM
https://www.tor.com/2019/05/08/doing-the-math-on-game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-4/?fbclid=IwAR3wiZudYuWybw9cBBtH8n5iEI2r7ZY3XNuQseoGuvQ1G2ESW0pA0gaKoBk

Summary:

Given what we saw with Eurons super scorpion, those would have had to be traveling about 2000 m/s. Roughly twice the speed of a modern sniper rifle.

My god, it is just so fucking stupid. The entire scene was just so lame.

So what is better: Euron's scorpions or WWII German 88mm flak cannons?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2019, 06:03:07 PM
I saw another from an aerospace engineer that calculated the torque of their ballista as around half that of the Saturn V...

What a mess of an ending.

I met someone the other day who said dragons are too heavy too fly.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grinning_Colossus

:yes: It would have been good if, in like season 2, instead of being like "where are my dragons," Dany gets all concerned because her dragons haven't learned to fly, so it's more "why aren't my dragons flying." And then somebody says, like, "Khaleesi, your dragons are too fat to fly." So then she puts them on a diet, but they die.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Grey Fox

Of course, there is 2 episodes left of what is probably the last show that brings us all together. We have to watch.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

A minor thing, but the outskirts of King's Landing looked like a desert wasteland, and I'm pretty sure there was a lot of lush forest there in previous seasons. I guess building those AA batteries required a lot of materials...

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2019, 07:44:31 AM

Of course, there is 2 episodes left of what is probably the last show that brings us all together. We have to watch.

We need to find something else we all watch.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on May 09, 2019, 09:13:47 AM

I'm guessing The Mandalorian will bring us together.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 09, 2019, 09:13:47 AM

We will all drift apart after this and return every time there is a Danish or Spanish election so we can cast our Languish votes.

Josephus

From the A. V. Club: https://www.avclub.com/why-didn-t-daenerys-torch-euron-who-s-side-is-jaime-on-1834599395?utm_content=Main&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SF

Keegan asks: Why didn't Dany use dragonfire on Euron's fleet? And how in the seven hells did she hear what Missandei's last words were from that far away?

What? You didn't think her strategy of dive-bombing all of those dragon-killing crossbows for no reason was wise? Let me guess, you also expected her to fly behind them and burn them instead of fleeing? What are you, a military genius?

No, seriously, are you? The leaders of Westeros could really use your help, after Jon inexplicably sent the Dothraki off to die last week, and Daenerys, despite being able to fly high above any possible threat, couldn't see the most predictable ambush in history coming. Why did they assume Dragonstone, which isn't far from King's Landing, would be safe? It's a big-ass castle with huge strategic value. No one considered the possibility Cersei would see its value or Daenerys would return to it? "Hey, Tyrion, what would you say you do here?"

Just like with the Loot Train Attack and Euron's nighttime attack on veteran Ironborn, clearly no one in the Seven Kingdoms has ever heard of advanced scouts.

As for Missandei's final "dracarys," Daenerys could hear her for two reasons. One, King's Landing is now inexplicably located in a desert, so the sound traveled. Second, Daenerys wasn't that far away. She thought it was a good idea to stand with a tiny force near her fortified enemy, a vengeful mad queen who then decided not to murder Daenerys and put an end to the war. It was... it was weird. Seriously, are you a military genius? The realm should be accepting applications.

Civis Romanus Sum

Habbaku

I wish we could have a show where the heroes and the villains were both intelligent and the villains didn't get wins for no reason other than that Hollywood writing apparently dictates the audience can only root for the underdog.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien