And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 06, 2019, 04:40:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2019, 10:19:39 AM
Euron is a composite character so I think that is unlikely.

I don't think so. There are enough hints in the book that Book Euron may have had some mystic way to defeat dragons. Since Show Euron is a much impoverished character, they may have simply gone for balista.
He was into blood magic.

Habbaku

I don't think so. There are enough hints in the book that Book Euron may have had some mystic way to defeat dragons. Since Show Euron is a much impoverished character, they may have simply gone for balista.

Krakens are coming.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josephus on May 06, 2019, 03:54:18 PM
there was more than one, though; so they may have been firing in succession.

Sure, and with the Valyrian Aegis defense system to coordinate fire against a distant moving aerial target.

Anyway you play it, just boils down to hand-waving.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

That is what I was trying to get at.  In the show he is a composite of book Euron (that never really appeared in the show other than to win the election) and his brother who is more of the Euron who appeared in the show.  At best what occurred in the show is something his brother would have done and might try to do.  Euron in the books is going to be a much more formidable adversary. 

The point being that the plot in the books is going to be much more complex than the simple and silly plot we see in the show.

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2019, 09:50:47 PM
And so at least we find out why the show built up the Grey Worm/Missandei fanfic romance: to emotionally manipulate viewers when they inevitably used one of them as a plot prop.

Sigh.
I don't understand how she got captured...  She was supposed to be on a boar/skiff, so, she could pick up other survivors, and then, she heads in the direction opposite to the rest of the troops just to be captured?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 06, 2019, 09:33:30 AM
Also astoundingly good fire control from the Iron Born.  If Euron had been at Jutland, the war would have ended that day.
one of so many sillyness...  Maybe he is a secret mage.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grinning_Colossus

I don't mind the ballistas. It makes sense that, in 300 years, technological advancement has reduced the efficacy of dragons. It should be cannons firing grapeshot, but whatever.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

And brons crossbow?
Amazing how bron seems to have also had faceless man training to sneak into a room containing 2 of the lands most important men like that.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2019, 02:24:09 AM
And brons crossbow?
Amazing how bron seems to have also had faceless man training to sneak into a room containing 2 of the lands most important men like that.

Which reminds me that of course the whole dilemma of how to siege is pointless because based on her feats to date, Arya would have zero trouble assassinating Cercei, removing any need for a siege.

Berkut

The Bronn scene was simply....well, ludicrous. On so many different levels.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

Bronn is basically Kramer so it actually makes all sorts of sense.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 07, 2019, 07:12:55 AM
Bronn is basically Kramer so it actually makes all sorts of sense.

Nobody within Winterfell knows that.  It's part of the rushed writing that allowed a stranger into the Keep (remember the famous Northern distrust highlighted in the first episode of this season-the writers didn't) and allowing a potential assassin into that room without explanation.  They repeatedly forget about the world carefully crafted for them in the books.

Legbiter

Quote from: Habbaku on May 06, 2019, 12:51:33 PM
Character and setting giving way to plot is to be expected when the show's going at light-speed like this. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy it.

Yeah, they have to shoehorn the plot in order to get all the characters into place in time for the conclusion.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Berkut

Even if you accept that he could get into that room, the entire conversation was so stupid it isn't even funny. THe agreement makes no sense.

The entire thing was fucking pointless. It just makes it completely clear that they write the show one episode at a time. If this was the result of the entire "Hey Bronn, go kill my brothers" mini story arc....why? It advances nothing, it adds nothing, it just takes up time and screen space without doing anything. When the writers sent Bronn off, they clearly had no idea what would happen when he go there - because if they did, they wouldn't include that mini story at all.

And it is a complete waste of a perfectly usable plot artifact. I am not a writer, but I can come up with three ideas sitting here right now that would have been better than that.

1. Have Bronn ambush the leadership party in an attempt to assasinate Tyrion. He misses, but wounds Dany in the process, which is why she was not able to join the army heading south, hence the need to send her by ship with the dragons. IN the ensuing scuffle, Tyrion kills Bronn.
2. Bronn tries to kill Jaime, but Brienne saves Jaime, taking the bolt intended for him. This super pisses off Jaime, who heads south to deal with his sister, after he kills Bronn. Heck, you could even use this to have jaime kind of realize he is still a pretty damn good fighter.
3. Bronn gets himself to a spot to kill one or both from hiding, and decides he isn't going to do so just because he has a redemptive moment and decides he is tired of killing people for money, and wants to do something right for a change.

Hell, any or all of those ideas might be terrible for one reason or another. I actually really like #2, but whatever. The point is that they would at least have a point, and the current story has none.

Bronn is sent to kill the brothers.
He confronts them.
They talk.
He agrees not to kill them in return for a promise they cannot fulfill.
He leaves, and tells them he will look them up after the war.

How is any of that better than him never even leaving Kings Landing?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned