Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: PRC on May 06, 2019, 10:33:37 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2019, 08:25:30 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 06, 2019, 06:57:19 AM
It is pretty clear that the writers of the show don't believe in scouting.

Or rather the scouts in the air at the time, two of which had dragon like senses, failed to notice the enemy.

Who needs to scout when you have Bran... er wait.

:lol:

Josephus

This A.V. Club article talks about the Starbucks cup. and then links to other flaws in the episode

https://news.avclub.com/its-canon-now-westeros-has-a-starbucks-1834551746

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 06, 2019, 11:05:33 AM
This A.V. Club article talks about the Starbucks cup. and then links to other flaws in the episode

https://news.avclub.com/its-canon-now-westeros-has-a-starbucks-1834551746

They make a good point about the dialogue moving away from the style of the books.  One thing that really stuck out was when Jon had his two cousins swear not to tell anyone, they did not swear by the "Old Gods and the New".   The Seven Kingdoms have become devoid of religious conviction.  No wonder Sansa had no problem breaking her oath.  :D

Habbaku

Character and setting giving way to plot is to be expected when the show's going at light-speed like this. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on May 06, 2019, 12:51:33 PM
Character and setting giving way to plot is to be expected when the show's going at light-speed like this. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy it.

It shows the poor choices in editing/writing.  5 seconds of giving the traditional oath vs. how many minutes of drinking scenes that don't advance the plot.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2019, 01:13:13 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 06, 2019, 12:51:33 PM

It shows the poor choices in editing/writing.  5 seconds of giving the traditional oath vs. how many minutes of drinking scenes that don't advance the plot.

This.  The plot didn't move at all for the vast majority of the show. They should have moved the Varys story forward so that, by the end of this episode, Dani had executed him but become hyper-paranoid.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Solmyr

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2019, 10:15:20 PM
Also, since all of the other raised dead crumpled into ice when the NK died, why didn't undead Lady Mormont and the undead Dothraki do so, as well?

Only the White Walkers shattered into ice, the regular wights just fell down as corpses.

Josquius

Whats with the rapid fire crossbows in the world? Both small and large Were the ballistas so quick firing before? I'm sure I recall that when they were demonstrated they were far more realistic and slow :hmm:

Also...why didn't Cersei just blast Dani?
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2019, 11:49:52 AMOne thing that really stuck out was when Jon had his two cousins swear not to tell anyone, they did not swear by the "Old Gods and the New".   

I was actually waiting for this bit ... which never came.  :wacko:

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on May 06, 2019, 03:27:05 PM
Whats with the rapid fire crossbows in the world? Both small and large Were the ballistas so quick firing before? I'm sure I recall that when they were demonstrated they were far more realistic and slow :hmm:

Also...why didn't Cersei just blast Dani?

there was more than one, though; so they may have been firing in succession.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Solmyr

There's been a kind of leak of what happens in episodes 4-6. It's not certain if it's all true, but much of it did happen in episode 4. Warning, do not click this unless you are fine with potentially massive spoilers including the final resolution: SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER

Solmyr

Also, on a bit more funny note, we now got the second Baratheon guy rejected by a Stark girl. :D

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Solmyr on May 06, 2019, 04:05:36 PM
There's been a kind of leak of what happens in episodes 4-6. It's not certain if it's all true, but much of it did happen in episode 4. Warning, do not click this unless you are fine with potentially massive spoilers including the final resolution: SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER
Some of the episode 4 information is already wrong though.  If that is how it ends up though... woof.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Solmyr

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 06, 2019, 04:29:01 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 06, 2019, 04:05:36 PM
Some of the episode 4 information is already wrong though.  If that is how it ends up though... woof.

It only got one minor thing wrong, though, and it's something that might still happen. Everything else (so far) happened in episode 4.

Oexmelin

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2019, 10:19:39 AM
Euron is a composite character so I think that is unlikely.

I don't think so. There are enough hints in the book that Book Euron may have had some mystic way to defeat dragons. Since Show Euron is a much impoverished character, they may have simply gone for balista.
Que le grand cric me croque !