News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2019, 09:50:47 PM
And so at least we find out why the show built up the Grey Worm/Missandei fanfic romance: to emotionally manipulate viewers when they inevitably used one of them as a plot prop.

Sigh.

Neither of them should have lived through the Long Night.

Also, since all of the other raised dead crumpled into ice when the NK died, why didn't undead Lady Mormont and the undead Dothraki do so, as well?

Plot loopholes all the way down.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2019, 09:50:47 PM
And so at least we find out why the show built up the Grey Worm/Missandei fanfic romance: to emotionally manipulate viewers when they inevitably used one of them as a plot prop.

Sigh.

Of course. Once they started dreaming of retirement into the countryside, you knew it was going to end poorly. It was the equivalent of the cop celebrating his last day before retirement: you just know he's going to die.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sophie Scholl

I can't believe how terrible this show has gotten in terms of writing since they left the source material.  I knew it wouldn't maintain the top notch quality it was based on, but... this is just embarrassing.  A lot of the awfulness of this episode has been touched upon and I'm still a bit too flabbergasted to list all my personal issues.  Here is one small piece that someone linked the reason why idiotic Dany and moron friends were ambushed in the post show "Behind the Scenes" thing they do.  "While Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet and Euron's forces, they certainly haven't forgotten about her."  From the lips of David Benioff.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Grinning_Colossus

Benioff is an arrogant dullard who only got his job because his dad ran Goldman Sachs, but I'm not sure that the show-runners are wholly responsible for the decline. I think this is GRRMs plot, and the reason he's taking so long is that he knows it will be a let-down.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

FunkMonk

They know they can get away with writing history's most expensive fan fiction because we're all way too invested to stop watching this dumb show.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

It is pretty clear that the writers of the show don't believe in scouting.

Tamas

I think after this episode I've now resigned myself that this series is like the Big Bang Theory: its prime is way past it, and I am just watching it to completion for completion's sake.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on May 06, 2019, 04:14:27 AM
Benioff is an arrogant dullard who only got his job because his dad ran Goldman Sachs, but I'm not sure that the show-runners are wholly responsible for the decline. I think this is GRRMs plot, and the reason he's taking so long is that he knows it will be a let-down.

There is no reason to think this is Martin's plot.  The plot in the books diverged from the show long before last season.  The reason he is taking so long is likely because he has many more plot lines to resolve, including many more possible ways to end the series.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 05, 2019, 09:47:19 PM
Probably the best episode of this season, though that is faint praise indeed.

Also, Dany and Jon are just fucking incompetent. Cersei should win this war because she actually does strategically intelligent things.

Perhaps she will.

But if she does die, I'm thinking now it will be at the hands of Arya. Jaime will die trying, but he won't be able to "climb the mountain".
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on May 06, 2019, 06:57:19 AM

Or rather the scouts in the air at the time, two of which had dragon like senses, failed to notice the enemy.

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2019, 08:17:46 AM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on May 06, 2019, 04:14:27 AM

There is no reason to think this is Martin's plot.  The plot in the books diverged from the show long before last season.  The reason he is taking so long is likely because he has many more plot lines to resolve, including many more possible ways to end the series.

I think it's entirely likely that huge portions are Martin's plot (Cersei's intransigence, the death of another dragon by Euron somehow, and Daenarys's heel-turn), but that Martin is able to take much more time to elaborate on things than the show is able to do in the limited time it has left.

If the show had a season devoted to the war against the dead, then a truncated final season vs. Cersei, I think things would have been fine.

Regardless, the show is still amongst the highest-quality on TV right now and has two episodes left. I did greatly enjoy parts of last night even if the glaring plotholes are getting to be too much. We're getting resolution one way or the other...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

They didn't even have to be scouting. have you ever been on a plane and looked out a window? You can see for miles. Was Danaerys sleeping on the dragon? Maybe thinking about how she planned on killing Jon and getting him out of the way, and failed to notice the ships ahead of them?
Maybe the ships were behind a smoke screen? Maybe she was up in the clouds?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Also astoundingly good fire control from the Iron Born.  If Euron had been at Jutland, the war would have ended that day.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 06, 2019, 08:18:11 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on May 05, 2019, 09:47:19 PM
Probably the best episode of this season, though that is faint praise indeed.

Also, Dany and Jon are just fucking incompetent. Cersei should win this war because she actually does strategically intelligent things.

Perhaps she will.

But if she does die, I'm thinking now it will be at the hands of Arya. Jaime will die trying, but he won't be able to "climb the mountain".

maybe they will all die and then Lord Gendry will be the only one left.

Quote from: Habbaku on May 06, 2019, 08:39:43 AM
I think it's entirely likely that huge portions are Martin's plot (Cersei's intransigence, the death of another dragon by Euron somehow, and Daenarys's heel-turn),

Euron is a composite character so I think that is unlikely.  But it is likely that faction of Iron Born play a role in the battles with Dani's army in some way.  At best this show is a faint echo.  And that weakness is made more apparent by the absence of books to provide the actual storyline.  There are many more characters and plot lines the books could progress down toward a resolution.

PRC

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2019, 08:25:30 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 06, 2019, 06:57:19 AM

Or rather the scouts in the air at the time, two of which had dragon like senses, failed to notice the enemy.

Who needs to scout when you have Bran... er wait.