News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on May 02, 2019, 11:34:55 AM
When the mercenary captain presented himself and his Golden Company, he gave his name... Does anyone remember his name, and didn't it have some significance in the books...?  I can't remember anything...

It's Harry Strickland, IIRC. The character exists in the books, but is very different.

Habbaku

Yep, still Strickland, but no mention of his Blackfyre sympathies in the show. That would be a pretty weird plot to draw up at the moment.

More likely, they've just decided to combine the Aegon/Connington storyline into Cersei's for sake of time and simplicity.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

THE GRIFFON SHALE RISE AGAIN

in the books...I hope  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on May 02, 2019, 12:07:33 PM
Yep, still Strickland, but no mention of his Blackfyre sympathies in the show. That would be a pretty weird plot to draw up at the moment.

More likely, they've just decided to combine the Aegon/Connington storyline into Cersei's for sake of time and simplicity.

No way they include Blackfyre stuff at this point in the series.

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2019, 12:11:02 PM

Connington and friends are the mummer's dragon. They're toast.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2019, 12:13:33 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 02, 2019, 12:07:33 PM

No way they include Blackfyre stuff at this point in the series.

If they only had another season.  :cry:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on May 02, 2019, 12:15:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2019, 12:11:02 PM

Connington and friends are the mummer's dragon. They're toast.  :P

Maybe. Maybe they win for a bit and then eventually lose. I have high hopes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Habbaku

Oh, I think it's clear they're going to win for a bit. I think Aegon even sits the throne for a little while before getting obliterated by dragons.

The Golden Company is going to shred a Reach army a la Agincourt, in my opinion. Longbows and talented leadership vs. the Knights of Summer and Mace Tyrell? Say good night.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on May 02, 2019, 12:38:45 PM
Oh, I think it's clear they're going to win for a bit. I think Aegon even sits the throne for a little while before getting obliterated by dragons.

The Golden Company is going to shred a Reach army a la Agincourt, in my opinion. Longbows and talented leadership vs. the Knights of Summer and Mace Tyrell? Say good night.

Ah man that would be great! This takes me back to 2011 when I was so excited for the next book.

Habbaku

I'm still pretty excited. I'm just more realistic. I still hold out hope the next book's release will be announced at the end of the show or shortly thereafter.

Maybe once the limelight fades a bit from GRRM, he'll crank out the 7th book. A man can hope.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

What Martin really should do is take a page from the corporate world and take on a partner.  Another writer who gets his style and can help him fill out blanks, fix up incomplete narratives, edit, etc. It does seem like he has a decent amount of material written - it's just not well organized or near publication condition.

Martin has reached the institutional stage of his career and needs to adjust to that reality.  He's no longer just some guy writing novels, he is running a content platform.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

It's been a long time since we've had two such disappointing episodes in a row.  WTF are Benioff and Weiss thinking?  This isn't ending the show in epic fashion, it is limping towards the finish, with gaping plot holes slowing things towards a crawl.

Oh, and fuck Sansa.  I'm now hoping for a bad end for her.

Looks like Arya is going to ninja the end of this (or else get killed trying, which would be something of a nice twist), but at least we will get Cleganebowl.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Probably the best episode of this season, though that is faint praise indeed.

Also, Dany and Jon are just fucking incompetent. Cersei should win this war because she actually does strategically intelligent things.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

And so at least we find out why the show built up the Grey Worm/Missandei fanfic romance: to emotionally manipulate viewers when they inevitably used one of them as a plot prop.

Sigh.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 05, 2019, 09:47:19 PM
Probably the best episode of this season, though that is faint praise indeed.

Also, Dany and Jon are just fucking incompetent. Cersei should win this war because she actually does strategically intelligent things.
Ep 2 was great.

Jon and Dani are hindered by really dumb writing.  How do ships ambush dragons?  Why didn't Dani just come in behind the Iron fleet and torch it (for that matter, why didn't Euron have the super-scorpions on the backs of his ships as well as the front)?  Just dumb all the way down.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!