News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

The going rumor is - season 8 will be delayed to 2019... with potentially six 1.5-2h long episodes.  Also there's also a leaked copy of episode one of S8 out there...  If the content of it is true then it's getting cheesier folks.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

katmai

Since production of season eight doesn't even start till October....
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Kleves

This episode was the first time that the fast travel stuff really bugged me. Even if a dragon flies at the speed of a 747, I don't see all the travel in this episode working out.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Berkut

Whats annoying about it is that again, IT ISN'T NECESSARY!

It's just lazy writing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on August 20, 2017, 09:30:25 PM
I was kinda surprised they spent so much time on the Quest in the North.  Fan service, I suppose.

And the zombie dragon, as I predicted.  Now we know how the Wall will be destroyed.

I found the battle at the frozen lake very dissatisfying after the battles we've seen in the past couple of episodes.  The zombies totally surround them, and yet Jon keeps having them 'retreat."  Where are they retreating to, and why aren't zombies already there?  The whole thing just didn't work for me.

Also...why did the zombies just stop?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

Poor episode.

So all it took was one raven and Dany was off with her three dragons to safe the day where she didn't believe them earlier? Why didn't she just fly them there in the first place? And why didn't her dragons just immediately roast the Night King instead of focusing on the zombie hordes? That would have ended the war then and there.

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on August 21, 2017, 11:05:08 AM

To give Dani time to show up and get drawn into the trap?

Bigger question:  why didn't the Night King kill the stationary dragon right in front of him (dooming Danaerys in the process) rather than the flying one further away?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Well...

1: Scales get more and more screwed up. That they could get a guy to run back to the wall, send a raven to dragonstone, and have the dragons arrive all in the course of, what, 2/3 days max? Probably less?

2: Zombie dragon. Well. That answers that recurring question. Saw it coming.

3: Have they ever mentioned the Dragon has 3 heads in the series or is that just the books? As....yeah....Looks like that has fallen by the way side.

4: The zombies...they moved very odd. Very Evil Dead like. Not realistic.

5: It was hard to keep track of who was dying. How many red shirts were there? Thoros got a big send off but otherwise?

6: Interesting to see the Dragon-Bus for the first time. So easy too.

7: Benjen was just....what the hell? A: Why was there no time for him to ride the horse too? B: It really seems like there was a moment of  "Oh, there's a loose end with him. We have to kill him on screen". Pff.

8: My theory... The Walkers can warg into zombies. Thats why that one stayed alive. Its where the killed walker has transferred. Thats why the zombies really wanted it back. And why the show was careful to always hide its face.

Quote from: Josephus on August 21, 2017, 11:05:08 AM
Quote from: grumbler on August 20, 2017, 09:30:25 PM
I was kinda surprised they spent so much time on the Quest in the North.  Fan service, I suppose.

And the zombie dragon, as I predicted.  Now we know how the Wall will be destroyed.

I found the battle at the frozen lake very dissatisfying after the battles we've seen in the past couple of episodes.  The zombies totally surround them, and yet Jon keeps having them 'retreat."  Where are they retreating to, and why aren't zombies already there?  The whole thing just didn't work for me.

I think they have issues with crossing water?

But then we later clearly saw them still going in the water....
██████
██████
██████

Grallon

Quote from: katmai on August 21, 2017, 05:00:30 AM

The script - not the episode itself.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

katmai

Quote from: Grallon on August 21, 2017, 11:32:21 AM
Quote from: katmai on August 21, 2017, 05:00:30 AM

The script - not the episode itself.
Ah...gotcha
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grinning_Colossus

Once you have a location on your map, fast travel is enabled. Nothing unrealistic about that.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Berkut on August 21, 2017, 07:56:01 AM
Whats annoying about it is that again, IT ISN'T NECESSARY!

It's just lazy writing.

it probably rubbed of from the lazy writer who needs to finish his bloody books!  <_<

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on August 21, 2017, 11:13:08 AM
Poor episode.

So all it took was one raven and Dany was off with her three dragons to safe the day where she didn't believe them earlier? Why didn't she just fly them there in the first place? And why didn't her dragons just immediately roast the Night King instead of focusing on the zombie hordes? That would have ended the war then and there.

Yeah, I wasn't that impressed.  The quest to take a zombie prisoner doesn't make a lot of sense, particularly if Dany can just fly over there in an afternoon.

Also I don't quite understand the logic of "We can't kill the Night King because that'll kill the all the Wights and we won't be able to bring back an animated Wight to convince people to fight the Night King".

I imagine the writer watching the finished products saying "Man, this made a lot more sense in my head".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

I always imagine that a lot of these scenes were it just doesn't work as a whole are a product of writing by committee, where there isn't anyone to step in and say "Wait a minute - none of this makes any fucking SENSE!"

And then I think "Well, maybe there is such a person, and maybe they just don't care whether it makes sense or not. They care about whether it is visually appealing, fits into the time budget, and can be done in the cost budget...".

Could you imagine Martin writing something so shoddy from a story perspective?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Last night's episode was the first time I've worried that the show won't be able to stick the landing in the final season.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien