News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

I won't be 'spoiling' anything but this was a much weaker episode.   One can see how they are now rushing to the finish line; there are huge plotholes, time discontinuity, etc.  It felt really contrived - think Bron in episode 4 & 5 - where he should have died.

Oh well, it will soon be over.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

The star is lucky a woman wrote that or they'd be in trouuuble
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

I was kinda surprised they spent so much time on the Quest in the North.  Fan service, I suppose.

And the zombie dragon, as I predicted.  Now we know how the Wall will be destroyed.

I found the battle at the frozen lake very dissatisfying after the battles we've seen in the past couple of episodes.  The zombies totally surround them, and yet Jon keeps having them 'retreat."  Where are they retreating to, and why aren't zombies already there?  The whole thing just didn't work for me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

My only question is if the zombies burn doesn't a fire breathing zombie become self defeating?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2017, 09:48:51 PM
My only question is if the zombies burn doesn't a fire breathing zombie become self defeating?

I'm not sure zombie dragon breathes fire.  Maybe it breathes ice.  Brittlize (not a word) the wall and smash it (maybe that's why they showed us the zombie giants; those dudes can be hurling the big rocks that smash up the wall after the zombie dragon makes it brittle).

Bets on Dani dying trying to fly Drogon against the Night King on Zombie Viserion?  (I assume Viserion died because Jon has to ride the dragon named after his father, right?)  And then Jon Snow flying Rhaegal to put and end to the Night King and zombie Viserion?  Seems too pat to me, but the ending can't be happy, so I don't see Dani surviving season 8.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

I think dani will die too. But I don't think it'll be in battle. My going stupid theory is that cersie will double cross them (of course) pissing off dani and leading her to go mad queen with the plan to burn kings landing and tyrion will take her out to stop it.

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on August 16, 2017, 06:09:41 PM
Spoilers from the leak

[spoiler] suck it greyfox :P [/spoiler]

I hate how Grumbler is basically right about everything. He must be Martin.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2017, 11:20:30 PM
Spoilers from the leak

You had a reasonable position.

Bayraktar!

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2017, 11:20:30 PM
Spoilers from the leak

<_<

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2017, 10:02:09 PM
I think dani will die too. But I don't think it'll be in battle. My going stupid theory is that cersie will double cross them (of course) pissing off dani and leading her to go mad queen with the plan to burn kings landing and tyrion will take her out to stop it.

I don't think Dani will die such an ignoble death - I don't think the fans would ever forgive HBO for that.

Yes, Cersei will double-cross Jon and Dani next episode, and I think Jamie kills her for it.  Next episode will then end with the fall of the Wall.  Dani won't die this season, but Cersei might.  The Golden Company will have to arrive before her death, though, and I'm not sure there's enough time in the next episode for them on top of Cleganebowl, Cersei's backstab, and the fall of the Wall.

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

At least the show is consistent about showing how bad a battlefield leader Jon is.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on August 21, 2017, 12:25:08 AM
At least the show is consistent about showing how bad a battlefield leader Jon is.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I'm not sure I'd trust him to run a bath.  I kept thinking of the battle of the Black Gate in the LOTR movies.

[spoiler]Having Benjen save Jon the second time and then immediately die felt kind of stupid.  "My long lost uncle showed up out of the blue to save me and I rode off on his dead horse okay let's not even ask". [/spoiler]
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Oh, and is it just me or does it feel like the further we get away from the novels the more slapdash and generic this feels?  I'm kind of questioning the wisdom of the shorter season here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I know everybody is going to laugh at me here for even still feeling this way but damn this show just makes me wish we could get our hands on book six already. I realize I should have given up long ago but damn we only have two books to go I just feel like he can still do it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."