News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Cat Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 02, 2011, 06:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

My cat brought a live chipmunk into the house - carried it in unharmed by its scruff, like a kitten. Presumably, to enjoy it in the comfort of the house. She gets rodents all the time - mostly mice, but the occasional chipmunk and red squirrel, and on one memorable occasion, a rat; but never before had she sought to bring her hobby home.

She then ran upstairs, pursued by my wife, and released the chipmunk in the library area.

A couple of days of hilarity ensued. We could not catch the creature, which apparently is gifted with near supernatural hiding abilities. The cat could not sneak up on the creature, because our wooden floors upstairs are very creaky. It started to steal and chache catfood nuggets. We set traps, it ignored them.

Eventually we just left the windows and doors open, and I assume it escaped. Haven't seen any evidence of activity, so it is either gone or dead somewhere.

Today, as if in revenge, my wife used the "towel trick" to get the cat in the carrier and took her to the vet - by far the cat's least favorite activity.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on June 20, 2016, 03:47:02 PM
My cat brought a live chipmunk into the house - carried it in unharmed by its scruff, like a kitten. Presumably, to enjoy it in the comfort of the house. She gets rodents all the time - mostly mice, but the occasional chipmunk and red squirrel, and on one memorable occasion, a rat; but never before had she sought to bring her hobby home.

She then ran upstairs, pursued by my wife, and released the chipmunk in the library area.

A couple of days of hilarity ensued. We could not catch the creature, which apparently is gifted with near supernatural hiding abilities. The cat could not sneak up on the creature, because our wooden floors upstairs are very creaky. It started to steal and chache catfood nuggets. We set traps, it ignored them.

Eventually we just left the windows and doors open, and I assume it escaped. Haven't seen any evidence of activity, so it is either gone or dead somewhere.

Today, as if in revenge, my wife used the "towel trick" to get the cat in the carrier and took her to the vet - by far the cat's least favorite activity.

:lol:

Nice story.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I think my cat of 14 years is nearing her end.  I've done three surgeries on her, but the tumors keep coming back before I can even the get the stitches out of her. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Damn.  That sucks.   :hug:

It's tough to say but just as some random dude 2000 miles away it might be time to do the humane thing and put it out of its misery.

CountDeMoney

No shit. That's Nature's way of saying enough already, OK?

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 21, 2016, 09:38:59 PM
I think my cat of 14 years is nearing her end.  I've done three surgeries on her, but the tumors keep coming back before I can even the get the stitches out of her. :(

Oh dear.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Talked to the Vet about end of life procedures.  We'll see how she does, but I don't want her to unduly suffer.  I love that cat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tonitrus

DGuller

:huh: I don't get it.  Did it look like he did something to the cat other than impatiently feeding it?

Malthus

Our cat got another rat yesterday. Broke its neck and then tore its furry little throat out, and left the corpse to bleed out on the porch as a sort of trophy. Didn't eat any though - apparently she doesn't like the taste of rat (she didn't eat any of the other one she got either).

She usually eats most of the mice, chipmunks and squirrels she gets, though. Somehow, she is able to delicately dissect them, eating the meat and leaving the guts behind. 

Pretty good hunting for a cat nearly 14 years old.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I put Grey the cat down today.  That was really hard.  She had stopped eating, and drinking, and an enormous tumor broke through her skin between between her legs and around her anus.  I really loved that cat. :cry:

DGuller

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2016, 10:34:31 AM
I put Grey the cat down today.  That was really hard.  She had stopped eating, and drinking, and an enormous tumor broke through her skin between between her legs and around her anus.  I really loved that cat. :cry:

I'm sorry to hear it.  :(

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2016, 10:34:31 AM

That sucks. Sorry to hear that, Raz. :console:

Martinus

D. had to put down his dog recently too - they tried to operate on her and help her but she was just deteriorating more and more and was really old and sick. It sucks ass, but we have to be there some time for our pets to take that decision for theirs, rather than our sake.  :cry: