News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk is great

Started by Scipio, April 13, 2009, 06:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

alfred russel

A guy worth a few hundred million puts in a few million of his own money in a high risk business venture with a few other investors but can't raise the money he needs in the debt market. So rather than put in any more of his money or offer equity stakes (assuming anyone will buy them), he gets the government to give him low interest loans for $375 million. If the venture pans out, the government will get back below market rate of interest while most of the rewards will go to Musk and the other equity holders. If it doesn't work out, the government stands to lose $375 million, more than all the other investors combined.

There are definitely worse abuses out there, and maybe some of the facts weren't right in the NY Times piece, but certainly the arrangement isn't beyond reproach.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Scipio

Quote from: alfred russel on April 13, 2009, 06:47:32 PM
A guy worth a few hundred million puts in a few million of his own money in a high risk business venture with a few other investors but can't raise the money he needs in the debt market. So rather than put in any more of his money or offer equity stakes (assuming anyone will buy them), he gets the government to give him low interest loans for $375 million. If the venture pans out, the government will get back below market rate of interest while most of the rewards will go to Musk and the other equity holders. If it doesn't work out, the government stands to lose $375 million, more than all the other investors combined.

There are definitely worse abuses out there, and maybe some of the facts weren't right in the NY Times piece, but certainly the arrangement isn't beyond reproach.

You're missing the point.  He called the guy a douchebag.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Caliga

Ironically, isn't Elon Musk himself legendary for being a douchebag?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Scipio

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2009, 07:31:34 AM
Ironically, isn't Elon Musk himself legendary for being a douchebag?

There is a sort of closed-circle beauty about the whole thing, isn't there?
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Caliga

Ed Anger

I liked the Tesla review on Top Gear.

Put this guy, Clarkson and the NYT reporter in a locked room and film it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

lustindarkness

I don't like the smell of musk.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

Also, doesn't Elon mean "pine"?  Pine musk. :)

derspiess

I thought this was going to be about an aftershave.  Or something related to Elon university  :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall