L.A. Noire' to be first game screened at Tribeca Film Festival

Started by jimmy olsen, March 29, 2011, 11:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Sounds pretty sweet.  :cool:

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/29/6370186-la-noire-to-be-first-game-screened-at-tribeca-film-fest
Quote'L.A. Noire' to be first game screened at Tribeca Film Fest

Rockstar Games

By Winda Benedetti

Movie critic Roger Ebert may believe that video games will never be able to deliver the high falutin' high art displayed by our finest films, but for the first time ever a video game is being allowed to join the prestigious cinematic ranks at the Tribeca Film Festival.

The Tribeca Film Festival — founded by actor Robert De Niro — announced Tuesday that the forthcoming Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game "L.A. Noire" will be given a special "interactive screening," followed by a question-and-answer session that focuses on the very busy crossroads where games and film meet.

Team Bondi and Rockstar Games (the makers of the famed "Grand Theft Auto" franchise) are developing "L.A. Noire" — an open-world crime thriller done in gritty, film noir style.

"L.A. Noire" launches on May 17 and is being touted as a first-of-its-kind video game, thanks not only to the unique facial capture technology the developers are using to make the digital actors look more realistic than ever, but also for the way it merges cinematic storytelling from the 1940s and 50s with some very modern crime-solving gameplay.

"What Rockstar and Team Bondi have accomplished with 'L.A. Noire' is nothing less than groundbreaking," said Geoff Gilmore, Tribeca's Chief Creative Officer. "It's an invention of a new realm of storytelling that is part cinema, part gaming, and a whole new realm of narrative expression, interactivity, and immersion. We are poised on the edge of a new frontier."

As Rockstar has explained it, the game will give players "an unprecedented interactive experience" in which you play out the story of a young detective's rise to prominence in the LAPD. To do so, you'll have to solve historically inspired crimes in a fully-interactive recreation of 1947 Los Angeles.

The screening — which will show off one of the crime cases players must solve — will take place April 25 and will include a discussion about "the video game, the technology behind it, and narrative and action in this medium." (For more information and tickets, check out the site here.)

"We're thrilled that 'L.A. Noire' is being recognized by the Tribeca Film Festival in this way," said Sam Houser, founder of Rockstar Games, in a statement. "It's a real honor, and another step forward for interactive entertainment."

Indeed, those of us who've played games over the years have watched as video games and film have learned from each other and moved closer toward one another in both narrative and visual style. Rockstar's last game — the excellent "Red Dead Redemption" — gave us a fresh new take on a Wild West most of us know best from watching old Clint Eastwood and John Wayne films. Personally, I can't wait to see what they do with the film noir genre.

Certainly the Tribeca screening should help put a much-deserved spotlight on just how creative, stunning and, yes, even artistic modern video games can be.

One can only hope Ebert will be in attendance.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

I'm confused.  You necro'ed a 6 week old thread to post a link to a 13 week old article?   :huh:

We should invite the 2 jokers that had the innane conversation in the comments section here, though Teran would have to find a new schtick, that one is already taken here.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on May 14, 2011, 12:35:43 AM
I'm confused.  You necro'ed a 6 week old thread to post a link to a 13 week old article?   :huh:

We should invite the 2 jokers that had the innane conversation in the comments section here, though Teran would have to find a new schtick, that one is already taken here.
I don't care about the article, I care about the trailer. A trailer which hasn't been posted in this forum yet.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Norgy

Josquius

Its being advertised on TV rather a lot.
Wish I had a sex-box.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

:w00t: That looks OSSUM!

...and I do have an Xbox 360. :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Norgy

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Guardian posted their review early by accident, but Google cache caught it.
review

1 Karma Chameleon point

Norgy