News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Duke Nukem: DELAYED

Started by Caliga, March 26, 2011, 06:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Based on the scores?  Are you a fag or something?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

JonasSalk

No, based on watching 40 minutes and 30 minutes of gameplay videos by professional reviewers. It looks absolutely atrocious and unfun.
Yuman

Razgovory

Quote from: JonasSalk on June 17, 2011, 11:57:40 PM
No, based on watching 40 minutes and 30 minutes of gameplay videos by professional reviewers. It looks absolutely atrocious and unfun.

You watched over an hour of gameplay footage?  What are you, some sort of crazy person?  I admit the reviews I read didn't make me want to run out and buy the game, but I wasn't likely to buy it anyway.  As someone on Languish once said (it may be garbon), "Anyone old enough to have played the first game is old enough now to recognized it as puerile crap."  Well that was more of a paraphrase, but it is very true.  The horny teenage nerds that played it in 1996 are in their late 20's or early 30's.  Besides, I never even finished Fallout: New Vegas.  I still have a FPS I bought from Steam in December that I only played five minutes of.

Actually, I have a hard time enjoying PC games lately.  Maybe I'm growing out of them.  Perhaps It's just ahedonia which often occurs in people like me.  I've been playing some older games, and that has been bring me some joy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

JonasSalk

Not just somebody playing, but somebody doing a thorough review, providing critique, and giving points where it was due (that, however, was quite limited.)

The game is awful and I hope it fails. 13 or whatever years and the developers didn't learn a goddamn thing.
Yuman

MadBurgerMaker

Why are you pissed off about Duke Nukem? 

I mean, it's fine and all to get pissed about whatever you want, but why this particular video game?  It's just another FPS.

Edit:  The developers that are responsible for the release aren't the same ones who were "working on it" for the 13 years or whatever.  Unless Gearbox hired a bunch of 3D Realms people (not out of the question).

JonasSalk

Because they made a giant hunk of shit. Then again, maybe that's what they wanted all along.
Yuman

Habbaku

They're threatening not to send review copies of their next game to people that gave it a bad review.  :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Habbaku on June 18, 2011, 11:44:20 PM
They're threatening not to send review copies of their next game to people that gave it a bad review.  :lol:

:XD:   

So....what....everyone?  Good luck with that, Gearbox.

Tonitrus

Anyone who thought this game was going to be any good had to be atrociously naive.

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on June 18, 2011, 11:44:20 PM

They supposedly fired the PR agency that made the tweet in question.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on June 17, 2011, 03:22:38 PM
Quote from: JonasSalk on June 16, 2011, 04:08:53 PM
Yeah, it was a big fucking deal for a while. I had suspicions about it before it even came out, but they've apparently tried to reform themselves. When I see another iteration of Modern Warfare or Battlefield get less than an 8, then I'll perhaps believe them fully. If that's already happened....

It seems a lot of complaints are that the game is puerile and misogynistic.  I kind of felt that true of Duke Nuke'em 3D.  I suspect many people are remembering it with rose colored glasses.   The complaints that the game is just dull, are harder to excuse.  Anyway, not something I would be interested in buying.  At least at full price.

Of course it's puerile and misogynistic. That's the entire unashamed point of the game.

D3D got away with it because back in the 90s video games weren't mass marketed in the same fashion. The same kind of people who complained that there's too much violence in Fight Club and that it was unnecessary to show the offensive gay rape scene in Deliverance will complain about the latest iteration of Duke Nukem.

During a time when issues like feminism and racism are treated with a sense of public hysteria the likes of religion in the 15th century, it becomes even more hilarious when a game like this steps up and dares to make fun of it.

I'm going to play it, and I'm hopefully going to enjoy the humour even if what I've seen in the trailers makes it sound like they're trying too hard. Whether the actual game play is good enough to merit a decade long wait remains to be seen, but it really isn't central to the point here.

Caliga

Apparently you can fish turds out of toilets and throw them at enemies.

Pass. :rolleyes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

They were pretty highly marketed in the 1990's.  At that time though, it was still mainly in magazines rather then websites.  I thought it was crap back in the 1990's, though I didn't really play many FPS games until Half-Life came out and showed the world how it was done.

Also, I noted you wrote "Play" rather then "buy" in your post Slargos...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on June 19, 2011, 09:18:41 AM
Apparently you can fish turds out of toilets and throw them at enemies.

Pass. :rolleyes:

Old.  You could do that in Postal 2.  And that game had Gary Coleman in it.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on June 19, 2011, 09:20:29 AM
And that game had Gary Coleman in it.
:(

I still say his wife murdered him.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points