News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

ISAT Opt Out - Good or bad idea?

Started by merithyn, March 23, 2011, 06:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would/will you keep your child/ren from taking the ISATs in the future?

I see no value in the tests, but my kids would/will take them.
I see great value in the tests, so my kids will/would take them.
There's money involved, so it doesn't matter if there's value or not in the tests, my kids will/would take them.
No, I'll be keeping my kids away from the ISATs.
I'm not American, and I find these tests to be silly.
I'm not American, and this seems like a good way to evaluate students.
I have no opinion but I really feel a need to vote.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2011, 10:44:08 AM
You're going to get crucified for this line bubba.:bleeding:

I know.  Don't care.  Bring on the easy, unimaginative jokes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2011, 10:48:46 AM
Yeah that's how I felt when in my honors classes one student as where France was on a map and one student stated that they really didn't think racism was an issue anymore...

Honors, AP & college prep classes did a pretty good job of grouping students by capability at my high school.  They also had "general" and "basic" categories of classes.  And some kids were bussed off to the county Vo-Tech center for the morning or afternoon.  But it didn't go as far enough as I would have liked (I guess the Vo-Tech buses didn't go far away enough either, for that matter).

But in elementary school it was painful having the pace set by the slowest kids in class, whom also tended to be the troublemakers.  My smarter teachers would split the classes into different groups, though that meant they'd have to limit their time with each group and cover the same material 2 or 3 times.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2011, 10:42:43 AM
I'm still a bit resentful that they mixed dumb kids in with smart kids in my elementary school and some of my junior high/high school classes.  Can you tell?

FWIW I stopped being angry at the having-missed-big-opportunity-because-they-taught-for-tards-instead-of-me shit when I had my moral epiphany at 28.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Tests are bad. Like vaccinations or Western medicine. :yes:

Everybody is a genius and a unique snowflake.

Savonarola

Michigan has had this sort of test since I was in grade school.  One of my college profs was on the state Board of Education at the time they instituted the exams.  He said that it had been a mistake to make the tests the way they did, since they were supposed to test a minimal proficiency that every student should have.  Schools would aim for this proficiency and (as he was fond of saying) the minimum became the maximum.

I got a perfect score on the one I took in high school; which makes me the Maximal Minimum Michigander.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock