100 years after Triangle fire, horror resonates

Started by garbon, March 22, 2011, 10:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on March 23, 2011, 08:51:47 AM
I would be inclined to agree that SAT scores don't matter in the big picture, if I didn't get a really good one.  :)
:huh:

I got in to Columbia, Boston University, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, NYU, Fordham, Penn State, and a shit school or two in Pennsylvania as backups. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on March 23, 2011, 09:12:42 AM
I would be inclined to agree that SAT scores don't matter in the big picture, if I didn't get a really good one.  :)

I got in to Columbia, Boston University, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, NYU, Fordham, Penn State, and a shit school or two in Pennsylvania as backups. :cool:
As I said, getting admitted is one thing, getting a financial package is another.  I would've been admitted to my school of choice with a score considerably lower than what I had;  however, I wouldn't have gotten a scholarship.  Not having to worry about college debts has been a big boost to my quality of life after graduating, compared to my peers.

Caliga

:hmm:

Now that you mention it, Columbia wouldn't give me any money which is why I went to BU instead.  If Cal had studied for the SAT would Cal have been a... New Yorker! :)

P.S. I have no college debt either. :cool:

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on March 23, 2011, 09:15:24 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 23, 2011, 09:12:42 AM

As I said, getting admitted is one thing, getting a financial package is another.  I would've been admitted to my school of choice with a score considerably lower than what I had;  however, I wouldn't have gotten a scholarship.  Not having to worry about college debts has been a big boost to my quality of life after graduating, compared to my peers.

:zipped:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

With a few exceptions, I am guessing just about everyone on languish got or would get a much higher than average SAT/ACT score.

I never took the SAT though - it was all about ACT in the midwest.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Princesca had to take both the SAT and ACT, but until I met her I never even heard of the ACT. :blush:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 23, 2011, 07:24:09 AM
Well, at some point, there is such a thing as too much of a score.  After about 1460, it's obvious that you're very smart, and anything higher is just classless showing off.

:P

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on March 23, 2011, 09:36:55 AM
Princesca had to take both the SAT and ACT, but until I met her I never even heard of the ACT. :blush:

I took one.  I don't remember which.  I hope it was the hard one because I got like "30" right.  God, that was a fucking embarrassment. :blush:  I did go to college though, bust mostly at some crap schools.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 23, 2011, 09:16:27 AM
:hmm:

Now that you mention it, Columbia wouldn't give me any money which is why I went to BU instead.  If Cal had studied for the SAT would Cal have been a... New Yorker! :)

P.S. I have no college debt either. :cool:

Actually to counter DGul's point, many top schools don't offer merit-based aid. Looked and that's the case at Columbia and Stanford.  Only merit based stuff you could get is from outside scholarships.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Well maybe that was the problem, as I didn't qualify for financial aid based on need.  But BU gave me a merit-based scholarship.

dps

Quote from: Berkut on March 23, 2011, 09:29:57 AM

With a few exceptions, I am guessing just about everyone on languish got or would get a much higher than average SAT/ACT score.

I never took the SAT though - it was all about ACT in the midwest.

Yeah.

Quote from: Caliga, as I didn't qualify for financial aid based on need.

Didn't realize that you were that well off.  I mean, I know that you've done well for yourself, but I didn't know that you came from a family that's well-off enough that you didn't qualify for need-based FA from Columbia.

Admiral Yi

Cal's pop is/was some mighty mucky-muck at Pepsi or Taco Bell or Popeyes or something.

MadImmortalMan

I qualified for every goddamn help under the sun.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

I couldn't get jack shit. The Indian students grabbed every scholarship except for the ones where your pops was a UAW worker or a vet.

And I wasn't going to put myself into massive debt to do the required classes. ART CLASSES, OHIO STATE? REALLY? FUCK YOU.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2011, 06:56:49 PM
Cal's pop is/was some mighty mucky-muck at Pepsi or Taco Bell or Popeyes or something.
Nope, he worked for Denny's first, then GMRI/Darden (Red Lobster, Olive Garden), and finally Prandium (Chi Chi's).

Also my mom is a school psychologist, and the teachers' union is very powerful in Pennsylvania. :blush: