News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I suppose it's not relevant that Levant himself engages in the exactly the same practices he decries in the government: http://canadalandshow.com/article/ezra-levants-goons-threw-me-out-his-open-non-partisan-public-meeting

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on February 17, 2016, 02:52:28 PM
I suppose it's not relevant that Levant himself engages in the exactly the same practices he decries in the government: http://canadalandshow.com/article/ezra-levants-goons-threw-me-out-his-open-non-partisan-public-meeting

You expect him to do weird shit, being that he's an extreme right wing fringe creeper and all, and (one hopes) hold the actual government to somewhat higher standards!  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Levant is a private citizen.  He can invite whomever he wants to his own events, and bar anyone he wants.

The Government however is subject to the Charter of Rights.  It can not discriminate based on political belief.  Freedom of the press is enshrined in the Constitution, and the government must respect that.

None of which is necessarily an endorsement of Ezra.  Hell I've known the man for years and I'm not exactly a fan.  But he and his organization have rights that must be respected.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 17, 2016, 03:00:28 PM

Levant is a private citizen.  He can invite whomever he wants to his own events, and bar anyone he wants.

The Government however is subject to the Charter of Rights.  It can not discriminate based on political belief.  Freedom of the press is enshrined in the Constitution, and the government must respect that.

None of which is necessarily an endorsement of Ezra.  Hell I've known the man for years and I'm not exactly a fan.  But he and his organization have rights that must be respected.

Yeah, I know. That's why I suppose it's not that relevant. Still it's at least mildly ironic :)

Josephus

Key points from the http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alberta/alberta-government-admits-mistake-says-no-media-to-be-excluded-for-now/article28784286/?click=sf_globe article, which is pretty much what i said

Oates said Tuesday that the pair had not signed up ahead of time for the royalty review news conference – as required from all media – and therefore couldn't attend.

As for the Trudeau visit, the legislature was under tight security and only mainstream media organizations and accredited legislature press gallery members were allowed, she said.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on February 17, 2016, 03:24:59 PM
Key points from the http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alberta/alberta-government-admits-mistake-says-no-media-to-be-excluded-for-now/article28784286/?click=sf_globe article, which is pretty much what i said

Oates said Tuesday that the pair had not signed up ahead of time for the royalty review news conference – as required from all media – and therefore couldn't attend.

As for the Trudeau visit, the legislature was under tight security and only mainstream media organizations and accredited legislature press gallery members were allowed, she said.

Except that doesn't match - at all - with what the Alberta Justice lawyer said, which was

QuoteThank you for your letter of February 8th, 2016.

Our client's position remains that your client and those who identify as being connected to your client are not journalists and are not entitled to access media lock-ups or other such events.

Thank you for writing.

It also doesn't match with what the journalists were told - that they were on a "no go" list.

Admiral Yi

They walked back too far, so they're walking back from their walk back.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on February 17, 2016, 04:11:06 PM

Except that doesn't match - at all - with what the Alberta Justice lawyer said, which was

Our client's position remains that your client and those who identify as being connected to your client are not journalists and are not entitled to access media lock-ups or other such events.

Thank you for writing.

It also doesn't match with what the journalists were told - that they were on a "no go" list.

Pfffft...who is more truthful...lawyers or journalists? ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maximus

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on February 17, 2016, 04:37:59 PM

Thank you for writing.

The lawyers and the journalists agree on this one. :contract:

The one who disagrees is Cheryl Oates, the Premier's Communications Director.

And I'm pretty sure we can both agree that amongst the least truthful people are government PR hacks. :D

Josephus

Any PR hacks really.

Or as we in journalism call them: "Sell-outs!"

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on February 17, 2016, 04:37:59 PM

Thank you for writing.

That's a trick question!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

On the trust scale -

Lawyers > Politicians > Journalists

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on February 17, 2016, 07:09:03 PM
Any PR hacks really.

Or as we in journalism call them: "Sell-outs!"

That's because you're jealous of their steady paycheques. -_-

crazy canuck

Thank you for writing.

Why doesn't it match?  Seems pretty simple. They were not accredited so of course they were not allowed in.  Unless of course one is looking for a reason to criticize a particular government...