And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2015, 09:37:30 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2015, 07:28:52 PM
I suppose we have reached the point of gender equality when a male politician is judged on his looks.  :lol:

They have been ever since TV. Kennedy didn't beat Nixon because of his vast experience and policy announcements. Jimmy Carter got a decisive jump in the polls in the 1976 election when he changed the side of his head his hair parted on. Murica!
this is why giving woman the vote was a bad idea :( :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Is the role of Canadian PM played by Matthew McConaughey?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

By the same argument, it's unlikely Lincoln would have won if people had TVs then.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2015, 10:29:24 AM
My impression is that the government is changing from one form of minor, token support to another form of minor, token support. In both cases, the contribution wasn't serious, but was intended purely for domestic consumption.
We have 6 CF-18 in Iraq&Syria, 6 CF-18 in Ukraine.  We have 79 operational CF-18 total, but that number includes the CF-18B, the two seat training version.  If we keep the same proportion as in the total fleet, that means roughly 55 aircrafts available for combat missions.  If we have 12 in combatio missions, that means roughly 20% of our total capacity is used.

Given the number of russian incursions over our territory, we have to maintain some more over here, unlike the Yugoslavia missions.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on November 19, 2015, 10:46:21 AM
By the same argument, it's unlikely Lincoln would have won if people had TVs then.

John Bell was so dreamy he would have swept into power easily.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

I suppose we have reached the point of gender equality when a male politician is judged on his looks.  :lol:

They have been ever since TV. Kennedy didn't beat Nixon because of his vast experience and policy announcements. Jimmy Carter got a decisive jump in the polls in the 1976 election when he changed the side of his head his hair parted on. Murica!

I think you missed the point.  I am not talking about voter appeal.  I am noting the fact that we are in the midst of significant internal conferences and a significant international threat and here Languish is talking about his hair.  When Kennedy went through the Cuban Missile crisis the masses were not discussing his appearance

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2015, 12:48:57 PM

I think you missed the point.  I am not talking about voter appeal.  I am noting the fact that we are in the midst of significant internal conferences and a significant international threat and here Languish is talking about his hair.  When Kennedy went through the Cuban Missile crisis the masses were not discussing his appearance

Ah a subtle point. Very good. All we need now is fashion experts to carefully pick apart their suit choices.

'Head of State International Conference Fashion Disasters' will be popular click bait.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2015, 12:59:43 PM
'Head of State International Conference Fashion Disasters' will be popular click bait.

:lol:

garbon

Oh, I forgot, we can only talk about serious things here. No wonder membership is shrinking.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PRC

It was just over a year ago during a press briefing, I think on ISIS / Syria, that Obama wore that tan suit and that wardrobe choice got more attention than the subject of his briefing.

Valmy

Quote from: PRC on November 19, 2015, 01:58:09 PM
It was just over a year ago during a press briefing, I think on ISIS / Syria, that Obama wore that tan suit and that wardrobe choice got more attention than the subject of his briefing.

Proof that Amerikkka is the real terrorist.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2015, 01:51:19 PM

Oh, I forgot, we can only talk about serious things here. No wonder membership is shrinking.

Then you really miss the point ;)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2015, 02:06:23 PM
Quote from: PRC on November 19, 2015, 01:58:09 PM

Proof that Amerikkka is the real terrorist.

Could have been worse...he could have worn a white suit.

Martinus

So, the (female) Canadian foreign trade minister was on Bill Maher yesterday and now I gotta say that quotas in government are stupid. Because she was dumb as shit.

It did seem like the only reason she got her job was because they needed enough ministers with a clitoris...

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on November 21, 2015, 04:45:04 AM
So, the (female) Canadian foreign trade minister was on Bill Maher yesterday and now I gotta say that quotas in government are stupid. Because she was dumb as shit.

It did seem like the only reason she got her job was because they needed enough ministers with a clitoris...

She can't be that dumb, she worked in newspapers before this. :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011