News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

BB, is having a former crown prosecutor as justice minister good in your book?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 04, 2015, 05:18:17 PM
BB, is having a former crown prosecutor as justice minister good in your book?

It's not a bad thing to be sure.

But she only did it for a few years post-call, and has mostly worked on aboriginal treaty issues since then.  So it's a minor plus.  Peter McKay was a one time Crown Prosecutor as well, and I'm not sure that made him any better as Justice Minister than any of the others.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: PRC on November 04, 2015, 03:16:03 PM
Yeah, it doesn't mesh with what  Viper said at all to begin with.  Viper you're out of touch.
Ok, replace "American" by foreing.  There's a lot more of these American shows or concept (that's the same to me) on English CBC than French CBC.  For better or for worst.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 04, 2015, 02:55:23 PM
If we're talking TV concept, which you are viper, Francophone tv doesn't really invent anything either.
Well, they have a few boring shows like Unité 9 and 10-2 or whatever that was called.

Also Dragon's Den is a british concept and D. Trump is not on it in the USA.
Whatever.  It's not Canadian :P
I thought Dragon's Den was the same as "The Apprentice".
Yes, I am out of touch with reality tv.   :blush:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2015, 03:18:56 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2015, 02:54:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2015, 02:05:25 PM
And negotiating with other parties, say at the international level (where she has experience) over treaties (something else she has done).
Has Viper become the new Hans  :hmm:
I don't hate lawyers.
Her Wikipedia page was a bit thin, imho, to be over-enthusiastic.

Wait, you were critical of her and all you know about her is what someone has posted about her on a Wiki page?

I asked what were her qualifications for the job.
Global warming is a scientific matter.  A science twisted to the right and to the left.  I would have expected someone trained at critical analysis, able to understand scientific principles (not the science in itself, that is impossible for a politician) behind it and not be easily manipulated by pressure groups to the left or to the right.
Global warming requires very delicate actions to reduce our emissions while protecting our economy.  Otherwise, we could just cripple our economy and see our GHG go down.

Given this, I doubt a regular lawyer would be trained at that.

I would never want a financial analyst for Justice Minister and I don't think a lawyer like her (or you or BB) is exceptionnally qualified for such an important job.  Just as I am not qualified to handle Women's or Aboriginal issues.  I'd make a pretty nasty President of the Treasury board though! :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2015, 05:49:39 PM
I asked what were her qualifications for the job.
Global warming is a scientific matter.  A science twisted to the right and to the left.  I would have expected someone trained at critical analysis, able to understand scientific principles (not the science in itself, that is impossible for a politician)

You understand that lawyers deal with expert evidence all the time right?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2015, 07:32:34 PM
You understand that lawyers deal with expert evidence all the time right?
and in my experience, they do not do a good job at it, seeking the experts telling them what they want to hear rather than analysing the facts.

crazy canuck

You also thought the CBC was dominated by American programming :P

Grey Fox

To be fair to viper, it is a relatively new thing that it is not. Last round of CRTC renewall of their licences, CBC/RC got flustered alot by the commission on providing more Canadian content.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Was the CBC ever dominated by American programming?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2015, 10:37:02 AM

Not that I can recall.

If it was, I might have a reason to watch it once in a while.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

they may have run the odd US sitcom or two but I'd be hard pressed to think of one :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2015, 10:37:02 AM
QuoteUntil 1998, the network carried a variety of American programs in addition to its core Canadian programming, directly competing with private Canadian broadcasters such as CTV and Global. Since then, it has restricted itself to Canadian programs, a handful of British programs, and a few American movies and off-network repeats

"Canadian programs" is a very lose term.  Imho, a foreign concept where you replace American/Japanese/Chilean/whatever actors by Canadians is still a foreign show.

Compare the programming with ICI Radio-Canada Télé:
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/tele
3 foreign shows.

The situation will be vastly different with private networks where the majority of their programming are foreign concepts or shows though.

Grey Fox

How bad is the CBC?

1) Bad
2) Very Bad
3) The what?

The answer really does not change anything, it still sucks.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Didn't take them long to start reversing some of the more idiotic decisions of the last government.

QuoteJustin Trudeau's new Liberal government will reinstate the mandatory longform census, which was cancelled in 2010 by Stephen Harper's Conservatives.

It was replaced by a voluntary National Household Survey for the 2011 study. Critics said data from Statistics Canada's voluntary survey was of much lower quality than the mandatory census.

Navdeep Bains, the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development, made the announcement in the House of Commons foyer in Ottawa on Thursday.

"As we said throughout the election campaign, we are committed to making evidence-based decisions on programs and policies and to providing better and more timely services to Canadians," Mr. Bains said