News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2015, 11:00:35 AM
IS there a way to search out and read all the categories?

I looked briefly, but did not see any. You can only read a category's description if you punch in a postal code, it appears.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2015, 11:02:40 AM
Naw, the wealthiest segment is "Cosmopolitan Elite". Try entering a bridal path postal code like M2L1C9.  ;)

We don't make it.  :cry:

Yeah, not quite there.  :D

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2015, 11:10:59 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 01, 2015, 11:02:40 AM
Naw, the wealthiest segment is "Cosmopolitan Elite". Try entering a bridal path postal code like M2L1C9.  ;)

We don't make it.  :cry:

Yeah, not quite there.  :D

Yet :contract:

viper37

Apparently, some consuls have diplomatic immunity, and some others don't.  Weird.  I always tought consuls generals were like ambassadors for this.

And it's been impossible to know if she had diplomatic immunity negotiated with the US, because she was previously ambassador to Zimbabwe and it's apparently common practice that once you were ambassador in a place, even if made consul somewhere else, the Canadian government will negotiate immunity with the host country.  It's also impossible to know if that immunity is transfered to her kids.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

So the election is on in Alberta.  Fixed election date legislation?  Who cares about that!

I'm going Wildrose again - I think I'll even try to volunteer and help out.  Somethings gotta give in this province.  New leader is... well he's not a nobody.  Former backbench MP from Fort Mac for the Conservatives.  He never really stood out much from what I can remember, but still gives the party credibility again after it lost it with the mass defections.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Do any of the non right wing parties have a chance?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 07, 2015, 02:03:09 PM
Do any of the non right wing parties have a chance?

Probably not.  Hell I don't think anyone can realistically beat the PCs this time around.  You probably know about the story with Wildrose.  Liberals have a new leader as of January in David Swann.  NDP has a new leader as of last October.  And the Alberta Party is a party in search of an identity that has never elected anyone.

Basically, Prentice saw that the opposition wsa in transition and knew the economy is only going to get worse long before it gets better, so called an election.

PRC

The left doesn't have a chance, but the Wild Rose has even less of one.

Jim Prentice is the best of the candidates and that sucks.  It's an opportunistic time for him to call an election for the reasons you cited Beeb, and it's unnecessary. 

I will probably protest vote for the NDP.  The PCs have it in the bag but they need to change their ways.

crazy canuck

The Greens have a persuaded a star candidate to run in my riding.  Claire Martin who was a long time CBC weatherperson....

Barrister

Early polls actually have Wildrose with a slim lead 24% to the PCs 21% and the NDP at 20%.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/elections/alberta-votes/ndp-surging-in-edmonton-improving-in-rest-of-alberta-poll-says-1.3025679

Most of the commentary has suggested that this election is merely a race to see who the official opposition is, but perhaps that won't be so. :hmm:

And Wildrose leader Brian Jean seems to be channeling Barry Goldwater a little.  After Prentice tries to label the opposition parties as being "extreme" he replies "Let's be clear: if low taxes and balanced budgets is extremist, I guess most Albertans are extremist."

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2015, 04:57:03 PM
So the NDP actually has a shot.

Who knows, but I would think not.

Now Alberta has always been a small-c conservative place, but that doesn't mean it's 100% right wing.  We certainly have our left-wing elements (particularly in Edmonton aka Redmonton back in my Reform Party days).  Whomever is on the left will get some votes, be it the Liberals (currently down) or the NDP (currently up).  But they've never, ever seen significant support outside of Edmonton.

Neil

The NDP is suffering from some warchest issues.  Myself, I'm trending NDP, although I don't think I want them to form a government.

My inlaws are furious with Prentice.  Apparently, he cut back on charitable donations as a tax writeoff, while leaving the political donation deduction intact.  As they are huge charitable donators, it's a big problem for them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 09, 2015, 09:37:56 PM
The NDP is suffering from some warchest issues.  Myself, I'm trending NDP, although I don't think I want them to form a government.

My inlaws are furious with Prentice.  Apparently, he cut back on charitable donations as a tax writeoff, while leaving the political donation deduction intact.  As they are huge charitable donators, it's a big problem for them.

You are dead to me. :mellow:

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2015, 11:38:04 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 09, 2015, 09:37:56 PM

You are dead to me. :mellow:

Neil is ok.  The real problem are his inlaws.