News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

malt, please vote for Rob Ford. PLEEEEEEEEEASE.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2013, 12:58:35 PM

I knew he'd be popular on Languish.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on November 13, 2013, 01:00:23 PM

They showed the city council meeting on CNN. Chris Farley vs lefty goobers. Highly entertaining.

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2013, 01:02:26 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 13, 2013, 01:00:23 PM

They showed the city council meeting on CNN. Chris Farley vs lefty goobers. Highly entertaining.

It's got to be the first time a Toronto city council meeting has ever been called "highly entertaining" in the history of this place.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

crazy canuck

I think the arguments being heard by the SCC regarding the ability of the Government to change the rules regarding the Senate are fascinating.  :nerd:

My guess is that the Court will reject the governments argument that it can unilaterally alter the selection of Senators (by requiring provinces to hold a vote) as the selection of Senators is expressly dealt with as a matter which can only be changed via the amending forumula of 2/3 of the Provinces having 50% of the population plus Parliament and the Senate.

The more interesting question (for me at least) is what the Court will do with potential amendments that do not fall within the express scope of either the 2/3rd +50% or unanimity amending forumulas in the Constitution.  My guess is that the Court will rule that amendments which would abolish the Senate are such a funamental change that it would require unanimity. 

Admiral Yi

That move too is straight out of a Chris Farley skit.

How would you like to be the flunky in the gray suit who's job it is to pick up the mayor each time he wipes out?

Josephus

In his defence he was inebriated at the time.

Speaking of which, now, hookers are coming into the story.

Fuck, I'm gonna vote for him next time.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 13, 2013, 07:30:18 PM
is he sober, sometimes?  I figure, if you get to a point you drink so much you have no idea you are smoking crack, it can't be your first beer... ;)

at least, it wasn't anything illegal this time.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I can't believe only 38% of Toronto still want to vote for Ford. He's awesomest of awesome Mayor.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on November 13, 2013, 07:30:18 PM

I'm saying right now that if a sex tape is released, I'm not watching it.  :yuk:

Ed Anger

crazy canuck

Ford: "I get enough to eat at home" - not a reference to food btw.

Please tell me he didnt really say that.

Barrister

The latest bits of news on Ford have put me right off him.  Bringing drugs and prostitutes into the mayor's office, that kind of thing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.