News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Viper, I don't understand what you are trying to argue with CC here. That we have functioning Senate?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 18, 2013, 09:56:48 PM
That we have functioning Senate?
That an EEE Senate would be good.  Harper was willing to ignore the Senate, until it caused him trouble, than he nominated his own people.  The actual Senate isn't that good because it simply depends on the good will of the PM to appoint decent candidates.  But it's better than not having anything but the House of Commons. 

If we had an elected Senate, we could avoid some of these problems.

Of course, there will always be problems in a democracy.  It's not like we know the results of the election before the ballots are cast.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

You're the only one who would prefer an American system to the British one.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 18, 2013, 05:43:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2013, 02:53:28 PM
You have posted a story that uses language poorly.  The senate can only send a bill back to Parliament for reconsideration.
wich is the same thing, really, legalese aside.

If you have to ignore the legal stuff, you might have the weaker argument. ;)

Jacob

Hey CC - do you have any insight into what's going on at Highway 134 with the recent RCMP raid?

crazy canuck

The reporting of the incident has not provided a lot of facts so I am not entirely clear on what occurred but from this what I understand from the reporting:

There has been a long standing peaceful protest at the fracking site.  The company has an interim injunction allowing it to carry out its activities and at the same time allow the protestors some ability to protest in a meaningful way.  That is pretty standard in these sorts of cases.  So far so good.

Then something changed.  I get the sense that the protestors were joined by a new group who brought weapons and explosives onto the protest site.  The police intervened.  Violence and arrests ensued and the weapons and explosives were siezed.

The company is now seeking a permanent injunctive order given the escalation to protect its workers and property.  I dont know what is happening with that.  I also dont know how the peaceful protestors are dealing with the new group that is largely responsible for the escalation.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on October 19, 2013, 09:31:08 AM
You're the only one who would prefer an American system to the British one.
I'm the only one who doesn't worship a foreing non elected leader.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Most scientists live in fear of their government

I'm getting increasingly worried at this government anti-science stance.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 21, 2013, 12:40:29 PM

Agreed.  This is the most troubling  aspect of the Conservative government for me as well.

Neil

I don't like it, but I understand why they're doing it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

First of all your title is seriously misleading, as the article refers to scientists employed by the federal government.  The Government is running around to local universities and research labs trying to strong-arm them into silence.

It's a tricky issue.  As neil says, I understand why they are doing it.  You don't want a bunch of federal civil servants making nakedly political statements against the government but hiding behind a defence of "but it's science!".

But of course you don't want a bunch of yes men, whether it be scientists, lawyers, soldiers or ditch-diggers.

I don't know how you balance it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2013, 03:47:44 PM

The Government is running around to local universities and research labs trying to strong-arm them into silence.

There's a "not" missing in your post ... I think.   ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2013, 03:50:57 PM

The Government is running around to local universities and research labs trying to strong-arm them into silence.

There's a "not" missing in your post ... I think.   ;)

:zipped:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

It's a tricky issue.  As neil says, I understand why they are doing it.  You don't want a bunch of federal civil servants making nakedly political statements against the government but hiding behind a defence of "but it's science!".
has this ever been a problem in the past?  Can't this be done one piece at a time? 1st, ask for the scientist's report, 2nd, devise a coherent pr campaign for the project?

crazy canuck

:hmm:

Freudian slip?

QuoteYou don't want a bunch of federal civil servants making nakedly political statements against the government but hiding behind a defence of "but it's science!".

Perhaps you could explain when that occurred.