News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 08, 2013, 01:36:11 PM
CC, call it the Charter of Values because it just seems you are referring to me, Viper & Drakken.

I dont understand what you are saying.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 08, 2013, 01:43:27 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 08, 2013, 01:36:11 PM
CC, call it the Charter of Values because it just seems you are referring to me, Viper & Drakken.

I dont understand what you are saying.

It's ok. It's just me being lost in translation.

Nevermind, mate.

:lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 08, 2013, 01:12:54 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 08, 2013, 12:46:25 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 08, 2013, 11:04:25 AM
The fact that you dont see the irony here is telling.

Moore was as intolerant of other views and as prepared to impose his personal views of public morality as the authors of the Quebec Charter.
Yet, you want people like him to have a field day in the name of multiculturalism. Had Moore been a Canadian judge, you would rush to his defense in the name of tolerance.  After all, a public prayer and a crucifix in a town meeting are not problem, I don't see why adding the Ten Commandments to the mix would be anymore of a problem.  or else, you'll have to explain to me exactly where's the limit on religion and government.

Viper, I think you should go back and re-read my post and consider what it really means.

I know what it means.  You consider Quebec to be a racist province, on par with Nazi germany.  I've read enough editorials and read enough comments to understand this, and nothing I will say to you will change your mind.  Proof: even before the charter was made public, you had your idea made, it was a racist act.  I'm not gonna re-read 50 pages of comments that turn to the same.  Canadian multiculturalism is simply an extension of Lord Durham's policies, a historical figure still lauded in Canada. 

We'll never agree on this, so I really don't see why I should try and devote time arguing with you, when you won't make the slightest effort to read&understand what I am posting.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 08, 2013, 02:32:31 PM
You consider Quebec to be a racist province, on par with Nazi germany. 

I don't think CC thinks that. I certainly haven't got that from his posts. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Moore was as intolerant of other views and as prepared to impose his personal views of public morality as the authors of the Quebec Charter.
Yet, you want people like him to have a field day in the name of multiculturalism. Had Moore been a Canadian judge, you would rush to his defense in the name of tolerance.  After all, a public prayer and a crucifix in a town meeting are not problem, I don't see why adding the Ten Commandments to the mix would be anymore of a problem.  or else, you'll have to explain to me exactly where's the limit on religion and government.

Viper, I think you should go back and re-read my post and consider what it really means.

I know what it means.  You consider Quebec to be a racist province, on par with Nazi germany.  I've read enough editorials and read enough comments to understand this, and nothing I will say to you will change your mind.  Proof: even before the charter was made public, you had your idea made, it was a racist act.  I'm not gonna re-read 50 pages of comments that turn to the same.  Canadian multiculturalism is simply an extension of Lord Durham's policies, a historical figure still lauded in Canada. 

We'll never agree on this, so I really don't see why I should try and devote time arguing with you, when you won't make the slightest effort to read&understand what I am posting.

:tinfoil:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

I know what it means.  You consider Quebec to be a racist province, on par with Nazi germany. 

Didnt read any further.  If you are going to be so insulting there is no point in carrying on a conversation with you.

Barrister

Umm, yeah.

Nobody has ever said Quebec is a racist province.  I'll go so far to say that Quebecois nationalism has a racist element to it, but even then it isn't so much racism as a kind of pure laine nationalism.

If what you get out of our posts is that Quebec is equal to Nazi Germany, then you're right, there isn't any purpose in talking.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grallon

So Viper - are you finally awakening to the fact these people cannot be reasoned with?  ^_^

There soon shall be an election - and if I'm not mistaken it will turn out to be a referendum on the charter.  So be prepared to vote for the right side for a change.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on October 08, 2013, 06:42:07 PM
So Viper - are you finally awakening to the fact these people cannot be reasoned with?  ^_^

When mischaracterization of this magntitude is mistaken for "reasoning" one begins to wonder at what is actually going inside the separatist movement.

Grey Fox

Do you or do you not think French Canadian culture is inferior to English Canadian culture is what viper & grallon want to ask you but never do.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 09, 2013, 11:24:00 AM
Do you or do you not think French Canadian culture is inferior to English Canadian culture is what viper & grallon want to ask you but never do.

I don't think it's inferior at all.

I do think it's a pity that petty bigotry has gained prominence in Quebec politics, but I don't think it's particularly inherent in Quebec culture in spite of how much the proponents claim it is.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 09, 2013, 11:24:00 AM

Let me ask you this GF, when have I ever posted something that would lead you to believe I hold such a view?

The truth is the only people who are worred about the relative inferiority of cultures is Grallon and those that think like him.  It is the sort of thinking that leads to things like the drafting of the Quebec Charter.  I would strongly deny that this kind of intolerance grows out of French Canadian culture.  Quite the opposite.  This kind of intolerance can be found in all cultures.

Grey Fox

You have not but I don't always read all your posts.

It's a fair argument, the problem is that the ROC never has anything nice to say about Quebec. It's always Quebec bashing or atleast is perceived that way. It makes Viper believe Lord Durham's ideas are still prominent in Canada.

In retrospect, Malthus, BB & others were right. The Charter is a political play for the identity vote that went to the CAQ last election & that the PQ needs for a majority government.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2013, 11:28:06 AM
I do think it's a pity that petty bigotry has gained prominence in Quebec politics, but I don't think it's particularly inherent in Quebec culture in spite of how much the proponents claim it is.
So, secularity = bigotry.  Interesting to note.  Does this apply only to Quebec?  After all, CC says that comparing us to nazis is "a valid criticism of Quebec's policies".  The other leap wouldn't even surprise me...

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on October 08, 2013, 06:42:07 PM
Depends if Canadians are willing to admit that laïcité is not the same as sending immigrants to concentration camps and gazing them.