[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

So....The senate. Discuss.

Time to abolish it?
Reform it?
Elect it
Only appoint people citizens don't recognize from television?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on February 27, 2013, 09:23:16 AM

Time to abolish it?
Reform it?
Elect it

EEE baby.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Drakken

Quote from: Josephus on February 27, 2013, 09:23:16 AM

Time to abolish it?
Reform it?
Elect it

Canada Constitution Act of 1981 made it nigh-on impossible to abolish or significantly reform the Senate, so dream on.

I'm still baffled by how most people ignore that abolishing or constitutionally reforming the Senate (and Monarchy, for that matter) takes unanimous consent of the provinces since 1982. 7/50 and Chretien's Regional Vote Act don't count here. It's why Harper attempts to go around by going in front of the SCC in the first place.

Neil

Hereditary peers.  The idea of an elected Senate is deeply disturbing to me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Drakken

Quote from: Neil on February 27, 2013, 11:32:29 AM

Even the House of Lords in the UK is walking away from hereditary peers. :console:

Neil

Quote from: Drakken on February 27, 2013, 11:34:44 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 27, 2013, 11:32:29 AM
Even the House of Lords in the UK is walking away from hereditary peers. :console:
Yeah, but the British are a lost people.  They're tired and spent.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2013, 06:19:18 PM
And then he begins to talk.  That is when all his problems start.  Both in terms of style and substance.
hey, good one :)  I thought English Canada was all crazy on Trudeau. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I'm with BB on the Senate.  EEE is the way to go.  To insure some balance between the House of Commons controlled by the most populous regions and the smaller regions/provinces of the country.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Google is broken, what's EEE?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 27, 2013, 12:14:22 PM

Equal, Elected, and Effective. It was one of the basis of the Charlottetown Accord.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-E_Senate

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 27, 2013, 12:14:22 PM

A senate that is:

Equal (same number of senators from each province)
Elected; and
Effective
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Fuck that then. Fuck anything that the Feds want or agreed for the faileds accords.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

I don't see why we don't just get rid of the Senate. It's an institution in search of a purpose.

If you really must reward political hacks, we might as well get some entertainment value out of it. Put them naked in a room full of taxpayer cash and let them take all they can carry on their person - and televise it.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

I'm with Malthus. But if we can't abolish it, then the EEE thing is my second choice.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Drakken

We can't abolish it, unless you want to open the constitutional can of worms, and Quebec's government, both Liberal and PQ, is opposed to the Senate reform as presented by Harper.

I think we are all in agreement that Elected and Effecive are desirable. The crux of the problem, is the Equal part.