News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2011, 04:07:23 PM
Free money is hard to pass up.  But if you can only be there 9 years and the pension isnt great you have to weigh that against the earning potential you are giving up not just during those 9 years but also the years following that.  The Canadian Senate doesnt exactly lend itself to immediate job prospects after the term is over.

I suppose if one was very energetic you might make a name for yourself during your nine year stint so that your experience might open some doors but that seems a pretty poor substitute for simply being that energetic in the private sphere which would result in more money and more opportunites at the end of the same 9 year period.

This is really a post for people that are ready to retire.  Like Jos.
130k$ a year is considered very good in Quebec.   I'd take it.  9 years now, I study part time in Ottawa during the time, get back to work before I hit 50, 23 400$ for the rest of my life... yeah, I'd take it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I don't think I have an earning potential of anything around 100k/year for the rest of my life.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on December 01, 2011, 11:11:48 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2011, 04:07:23 PM
Free money is hard to pass up.  But if you can only be there 9 years and the pension isnt great you have to weigh that against the earning potential you are giving up not just during those 9 years but also the years following that.  The Canadian Senate doesnt exactly lend itself to immediate job prospects after the term is over.

I suppose if one was very energetic you might make a name for yourself during your nine year stint so that your experience might open some doors but that seems a pretty poor substitute for simply being that energetic in the private sphere which would result in more money and more opportunites at the end of the same 9 year period.

This is really a post for people that are ready to retire.  Like Jos.
130k$ a year is considered very good in Quebec.   I'd take it.  9 years now, I study part time in Ottawa during the time, get back to work before I hit 50, 23 400$ for the rest of my life... yeah, I'd take it.

$130Ks a year is considered very good everywhere. Not everyone is a lawyer.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on December 01, 2011, 11:41:07 AM
$130Ks a year is considered very good everywhere. Not everyone is a lawyer.

Yes, there are people everywhere that make less than 130k/year.  But in all urban areas and a lot of non urban areas there are also lots of non lawyers who make more than that.  For that second group of people it would not make much sense to become a senator during the prime of their working lives.

Jacob

I think that's alright. We don't really need more lawyers in government, do we?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on December 01, 2011, 12:33:58 PM

I think you misread my post.

Josephus

I think that's alright. We don't really need more lawyers  do we?

FYP
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Yes, we are much too valuable to waste as time-serving parasites in the Canadian Senate.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2011, 12:51:52 PM

Nah, I just focused on parts of it rather than the whole :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on December 01, 2011, 01:54:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2011, 12:51:52 PM

I find your response rather confusing since I specifically referred to non lawyers making more than 130k a year.  What "whole" did you get lawyers from?

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2011, 02:02:23 PM

I find your response rather confusing since I specifically referred to non lawyers making more than 130k a year.  What "whole" did you get lawyers from?
[/quote]

The "also".

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on December 01, 2011, 03:16:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2011, 02:02:23 PM

The "also".
[/quote]

The also refers to there being people that also make more than 130,000.  The only reason you are reading any reference to lawyers in that post is because you want to find it there.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2011, 06:13:41 PMThe "also".

The also refers to there being people that also make more than 130,000.  The only reason you are reading any reference to lawyers in that post is because you want to find it there.
[/quote]

Yes, exactly. I wanted to make a point about lawyers in reference to the exchange you had with Josephus ("not everyone are lawyers" to which you replied in part with "also non-lawyers who make more than that").

You were taking the conversation away from lawyers. I ignored your intention and spoke about lawyers, and that was indeed deliberate. That said, I don't think it's entirely spurious to see lawyers in your post since you use the word (even if it has a "non-" in front of it), and when it's in response to a post about lawyers :)

crazy canuck

So why not just have your conversation with Jos if you are just going to ignore what I actually said.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2011, 07:00:31 PM
So why not just have your conversation with Jos if you are just going to ignore what I actually said.

I don't want to exclude you from the conversation :)