News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2020, 10:44:28 PM
If you ever come North best to revert to not using that term.

I am aware. I will also not call them Australians or Russians or any other term they do not call themselves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 04, 2020, 12:25:58 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 04, 2020, 08:21:44 AM
PS : I assume you are talking about American natives.

Yes though it is the same word still, is it not?
Yes, same word.  Though in popular language, we would still use the incorrect, albeitly easily distinguished "Hindou".

When referring to American Indians, we tend to employ "Pemières nations" (1st nations) more and more.  "Sauvage" was the denomination until the 50s, I think, no real prejudice meant when it was inherited from French colonial times (it only meant "living outside of european society and did not reflect on character), though obviously, in modern language, it is unnaceptable. 

Indiens, Indiens d'Amérique and Amérindiens gradually replaced the official word, Amérindiens is still ok, I guess, but they do refer themselves as "Premières Nations":
http://www.afn.ca/fr/accueil/

See:
https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/fr/article/loi-sur-les-indiens
Indian Act = Loi sur les Indiens (1985).

The Federal govt uses "Autochtones" now:
https://www.canada.ca/fr/affaires-autochtones-nord.html

And Quebec also uses the same word, although we do not have a specific department to deal with 1st Nations, since they fall under Federal jurisdiction, but we have a deleguate minister:
https://www.autochtones.gouv.qc.ca/ministre/ministre.htm

This is the map of their communities in Quebec:
https://www.autochtones.gouv.qc.ca/nations/cartes/carte-8x11.pdf
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Interesting move by Trudeau to snub Trump's invitation time celebrate NAFTA 2.0.

The Liberals have clearly decided appearing to play nice with the Orange one doesn't help.

And really what hypocrisy it would be at the same time the Americans are reintroducing tariffs on us.

Barrister

Anyway it recently came to my attention that the American Indians call themselves Indians on this side of the border so I went back to calling them that. But boy is it confusing with so many people from India around. Stupid Columbus.

Um, my understanding is that the term "Indian" is a tiny bit like black Americans use of the n-word: only they get to call themselves that word.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2020, 03:46:31 PM
Anyway it recently came to my attention that the American Indians call themselves Indians on this side of the border so I went back to calling them that. But boy is it confusing with so many people from India around. Stupid Columbus.

Um, my understanding is that the term "Indian" is a tiny bit like black Americans use of the n-word: only they get to call themselves that word.

I don't think so.  Otherwise the Bureau of Indian Affairs would be getting much more pressure to re-brand.

This is a pretty good video on the topic (from the US American perspective):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh88fVP2FWQ

Oexmelin

My understanding is that there is a growing divergence between US and Canada in the use of the term Indian, mostly through the promotion of "First Nations" in Canada in relatively recent years. I think this may also reflect in a generational split in Canada. My uncle proudly called himself an "Indian", but the term is much less used now among younger folks. In French, "Indian" has receded in favor of Amérindiens, Premières Nations, and Autochtones.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 06, 2020, 05:58:23 PM
My understanding is that there is a growing divergence between US and Canada in the use of the term Indian, mostly through the promotion of "First Nations" in Canada in relatively recent years. I think this may also reflect in a generational split in Canada. My uncle proudly called himself an "Indian", but the term is much less used now among younger folks. In French, "Indian" has receded in favor of Amérindiens, Premières Nations, and Autochtones.

I think also regional differences within Canada which may have to do with BC having no treaties, except the limited ones around Victoria, and so more people being governed by the Indian Act and amongst the first to push for recognition as First Nations as they pursued their land claim cases and consultation rights over unceded territory.

Malthus

Officially at least, in Canada the English terms "Aboriginal peoples" or "Indigenous peoples" are used, with "First Nations" being a subset (indigenous = First Nations plus Inuit and Métis).

https://www.rcaanc-cirnac.gc.ca/eng/1100100013785/1529102490303

In common use, the term "Indian" was used in place of "First Nations", but it has largely fallen out of favour except in specialized circumstances (such as referring to "status Indians" within the meaning of the Indian Act and the like). Though confusingly, some First Nations groups still prefer that term.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 06, 2020, 05:11:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2020, 03:46:31 PM

I don't think so.  Otherwise the Bureau of Indian Affairs would be getting much more pressure to re-brand.

This is a pretty good video on the topic (from the US American perspective):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh88fVP2FWQ

I had actually typed more, but didn't want to sound too lawyerly.

Yes, the term "Indian" in Canada has a specific legal definition.  There exists the Indian Act, and people have Indian Status under that act.

But nevertheless, I think my post is correct.  Outside of specific legal usage, "Indian" is a term First Nations people use with each other, but do not appreciate it if others use it for them.  I don't really want to go "Well I can't be racist - my best friend is black", but I guess I will.  I've been to maybe a dozen or more First Nations communities, sadly prosecuted hundreds if not thousands, even had my wife's good friend and son (of Ojibway heritage from Ontario) stay with us for months.  Indian is a term they use for themselves in my invariable experience.

Tonitrus

As I said (and I think Valmy might agree), I am coming from the US perspective.  It is not news that there are likely significant differences on this issue in our respective countries.  :sleep:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 06, 2020, 07:20:55 PM
As I said (and I think Valmy might agree), I am coming from the US perspective.  It is not news that there are likely significant differences on this issue in our respective countries.  :sleep:

I don't know what occurs in the US, but I would think it very strange if the US perspective is the same as Canada given the profoundly different history and current relationships with government in our two countries.

@BB I also think you err in making broad generalizations about indigenous peoples within Canada. There are significant differences among regions and also within regions.

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2020, 03:23:36 PM
Interesting move by Trudeau to snub Trump's invitation time celebrate NAFTA 2.0.

The Liberals have clearly decided appearing to play nice with the Orange one doesn't help.

And really what hypocrisy it would be at the same time the Americans are reintroducing tariffs on us.

NYTimes has picked up the story, so Trump blowback in 5.... 4....

Barrister

I've been thinking and googling about vaccines.

It seems fairly clear that any vaccines that are developed for Covid are going to be distributed nationally.  That is, if the US develops a vaccine they'll make sure it's for Americans, and only distribute internationally after the US is taken care of.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/07/07/vaccine-race-covid-national-pride-348072

So where does that leave Canada?  Well other than a few university-led efforts to develop a vaccine, which don't appear to have entered even Phase 1 testing, we've mostly bet on a Chinese company CanSino.  It's based in China, but the founders were largely Chinese citizens who were educated in Canada.  CanSino is in the final Phase 3 stage of testing.

https://business.financialpost.com/news/fp-street/how-a-chinese-firm-jumped-to-the-front-of-the-virus-vaccine-race

So apparently under the deal with CanSino, we've agreed to help with the testing of the vaccine.  If it's effective Canada has the right to produce the vaccine domestically for use in Canada only.  Canada can not sell it, and has no ownership over the vaccine.

Problem is - two months after striking the deal Canada still hasn't received the vaccine candidate from CanSino.

https://ipolitics.ca/2020/07/06/canada-yet-to-receive-vaccine-candidate-from-chinese-developer-it-reached-an-agreement-with-in-may/

Seems a little risky to rely on a Chinese company (relations between the two countries are rather rocky right now).

crazy canuck

The alternative is the government funding its own research, not sure how practical that is.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 07, 2020, 11:25:33 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2020, 03:23:36 PM

NYTimes has picked up the story, so Trump blowback in 5.... 4....
He does not read the failing New York Times.  He only watches Fox&Friends and read selected articles from Breitbart and other conservative/far-right medias.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.