News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Opinion piece on the report recommending extensive regulation of online content.

I think this is not behind the paywall.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/commentary/article-the-crtc-report-constitutes-a-stunning-unjustified-power-grab/

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 30, 2020, 06:09:50 PM
Normally I can get my boys or wife to translate for me.  :Embarrass:

tsk tsk. you'll never be Prime Minister
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on January 31, 2020, 02:14:18 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 30, 2020, 06:09:50 PM
Normally I can get my boys or wife to translate for me.  :Embarrass:

tsk tsk. you'll never be Prime Minister

That is the least of the reasons why - and it is a very good reason.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 30, 2020, 05:27:33 AM
Que McKay ne parle pas français, ce n'est pas une surprise.
Bon, alors aucun problème.

QuoteHarper non plus, mais il a fait ses devoirs de façon remarquable. C'est l'excuse bidon qui est risible.
Et Mckay fera les siens.  Attendons le débat avant de traiter tout le monde de colonisé, dac?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

Pas une surprise =/= pas un problème
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on February 05, 2020, 12:51:05 PM
Shocker.

The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/05/when-it-comes-to-climate-hypocrisy-canadas-leaders-have-reached-a-new-low rips into Trudeau for tar sands, and his environmental (lack of) policies

Quotea kind of gaslighting that can reduce you to numb nihilism.

Pretty much

crazy canuck

The situation with the Wet'suwet'en illustrates some problems dealing with First Nations.  People who have self identified as hereditary chiefs are protesting against a gas pipeline.  The Wet'suwet'en council which is elected every three years has supported the line and for the last 10 years has negotiated an agreement with the company. 

So the company then says why did we do that if another group can claim authority over the nation.

Incidentally I hear very little in the media about the fact the elected leadership of the Nation fully support the project.

PRC

Barrister

So Trudeau holds a meeting with opposition leaders about the railway protests - but does not invite Scheer, saying that Scheer's speech earlier that day calling for police intervention was unacceptable and disqualified Scheer from participating.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-pipeline-protests-house-1.5466878
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I heard both speeches on my drive in. I am not surprised Scheer was not invited.  They see the issue in diametrically opposed ways.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 18, 2020, 04:24:14 PM
I heard both speeches on my drive in. I am not surprised Scheer was not invited.  They see the issue in diametrically opposed ways.
That usually happens with the leader of her majesty's loyal opposition...

He should have been invited, and Trudeau should have explained in detail his plan to deal with the crisis, and how that was better than sending the police.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

That's fair, just like when the BQ is excluded because they hold a unacceptable position. The CPC* is holding an unacceptable position.

*I am really unsure of the english acronym.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 18, 2020, 04:51:23 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 18, 2020, 04:24:14 PM
That usually happens with the leader of her majesty's loyal opposition...

He should have been invited, and Trudeau should have explained in detail his plan to deal with the crisis, and how that was better than sending the police.

What could be accomplished by such a thing?  Scheer made it very clear in his speech that his plan doesn't go much beyond lock them all up.  No need to have Scheer in a meeting to further be informed as to what his position would be.

On this issue Canadians have a pretty clear choice.  I suspect the Liberals are going to suffer a significant loss of support.  Trudeau's main goal is for his government to survive because if it goes down now there could be a pretty big backlash with support going to the Conservatives.  Which is exactly why Scheer made the speech he did.