News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Anyhow, Scheer is stepping down as party leader.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on December 12, 2019, 12:00:16 PM

Anyway, it's a 1200 people town.  It's quite a hassle to change a city name, believe me, I've went through it, I understand why people would prefer to keep it that way.

... which is exactly my point: the fact that they don't go through the hassle isn't evidence that the inhabitants all believe he was worthy of glorification.

More likely, they simply don't know or care overmuch about the fellow in the first place (I doubt one in ten living in "Durham Region" know what "Durham" refers to). Even if they do know, most people aren't going to be motivated to go through a lot of trouble to affect a name change over historic wrongs committed nearly two hundred years ago.

Hell, if people in Quebec can't be bothered to get rid of their "Durhams", it makes no sense to build an argument on the fact people in Ontario haven't.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2019, 08:35:06 AM
This slightly more complex reality often escapes partisans, though.
changing a city name in an area predominantly settled by British subjects, now English Canadians with a skin as thick as Donald Trump's for anykind of language/historical issues? 

I think you are downplaying the fact that we English Canadians actually know about the bad stuff Durham did too.   

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2019, 11:58:16 AM
In other news - Andrew Scheer has resigned as Conservative leader.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-stepping-down-as-conservative-party-leader-1.5393803

Setting the stage for an interesting battle for what the party will become - all in socon or moving back to its progressive conservative roots.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 12, 2019, 12:12:25 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2019, 11:58:16 AM
In other news - Andrew Scheer has resigned as Conservative leader.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-stepping-down-as-conservative-party-leader-1.5393803

Setting the stage for an interesting battle for what the party will become - all in socon or moving back to its progressive conservative roots.

I'm rooting for truly progressive conservatives ... but I'm not betting on it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Scheer was apprently grifting money out of the party to pay for his kids private school system.

The party of Fiscal responsibility, everyone!

Altho, that's pretty on-brand grifting for a Cons.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 12, 2019, 12:31:55 PM
Scheer was apprently grifting money out of the party to pay for his kids private school system.

Conservatism: do as I say, not as I do.

Malthus

That's perfect in so many ways!  :lol:

- The public school system is for you plebes
- Stealing to pay for the kids: family matters!
- Live within your means through corruption.

Camerus

Well, that's one way to fund a public education.

Malthus

Anyway, is there proof yet of the allegations?

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 10, 2019, 04:38:09 PM
Two recommendations about the Patriots, in English:

Allan Greer, The Patriots and the People: the Rebellion of 1837 in Rural Lower Canada, 1993.
Maxime Dagenais et Julien Mauduit (dir.), Revolutions Across Borders. Jacksonian America and the Canadian Rebellion, Montréal et Kingston, McGill-Queen's University Press, 2019

Thanks! I knew I could count on you!

I will get those read this winter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2019, 12:10:21 PM

Anyway, it's a 1200 people town.  It's quite a hassle to change a city name, believe me, I've went through it, I understand why people would prefer to keep it that way.

... which is exactly my point: the fact that they don't go through the hassle isn't evidence that the inhabitants all believe he was worthy of glorification.

More likely, they simply don't know or care overmuch about the fellow in the first place (I doubt one in ten living in "Durham Region" know what "Durham" refers to). Even if they do know, most people aren't going to be motivated to go through a lot of trouble to affect a name change over historic wrongs committed nearly two hundred years ago.

Hell, if people in Quebec can't be bothered to get rid of their "Durhams", it makes no sense to build an argument on the fact people in Ontario haven't.

it's the fact that the British settlers of the time and the authorities of the time felt it was totally appropriate.  Like a Jefferson Davis county in Mississipi, or the Jefferson Davis Parish in Louisinia, it kinda sends a telling message of what people of the time thought.  Even though a lot of time has passed, it hasn't changed there either.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 12, 2019, 12:10:28 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2019, 08:35:06 AM
This slightly more complex reality often escapes partisans, though.
changing a city name in an area predominantly settled by British subjects, now English Canadians with a skin as thick as Donald Trump's for anykind of language/historical issues? 

I think you are downplaying the fact that we English Canadians actually know about the bad stuff Durham did too.
Some of you. Those that have been educated on the subject by glorious Quebecers  :pope: :shutup: :D 

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2019, 01:22:38 PM

That's perfect in so many ways!  :lol:

- The public school system is for you plebes
- Stealing to pay for the kids: family matters!
- Live within your means through corruption.
Twitter link (Global news)

Unproven as of yet, but no unfounded it seems. That's bad for the party's image :(

Well, I guess we can always trust the deeply religious people to have outstanding morals :)

Now, on to the first point, lots of politicians send their kids to private schools.  Even those in social-democratic parties defending the current (deficient) model...