News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

[that is where we differ.  I prefer action instead of speeches.]

Actually no, it seems you have a partisan dislike for anything that comes from the wrong side of the political spectrum, while giving a pass to those who more closely align with your values. I think we do agree though that Trudeau's record is weak, but for different reasons.

[It's just a tax like any other.  It needs to increase at least 10x from now before we start seeing any significant effect, and that is if the provinces do not win their legal fight.}

As said, it's unlikely the provinces will win this fight. Now a ten times increase would be quite robust, and this could be possible, if it was phased in over time. (Note I do no know what the best timeline would be, in order to address the urgency, but also to win public acceptance) That said, other jurisdictions, such as BC, have had success with this tool , in terms of lowering emissions. BC's Carbon Tax was implemented by the conservative BC Liberal party (long story as to why they are the conservative party, in all but name)

[swipe about a commie in SUV, segues into urban infrastructure, other topics]

I think we can agree that building municipal infrastructure is complex, due to the three levels of government that are usually involved, and short sighted politics tends to make a mess of it. I appreciate that Quebec City has its problems, but I could also bore you with 10 years of transit planning in Toronto, largely due to Liberal/Conservative pols. Pass the dutchie.
humans were created in their own image

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 18, 2019, 07:36:02 PM
Canada is unlikely to make a difference in terms of global warming.  The real deciders will be China, India, the US and Europe.

I disagree strongly. It is about the means and the technology and engineering. As soon as one shows how a modern economy can function with minimal emissions, others will follow. Canada could certainly be that country.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2019, 09:54:33 AM
As soon as one shows how a modern economy can function with minimal emissions, others will follow.

It was shown for power production decades ago, but few countries follow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2019, 09:54:33 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 18, 2019, 07:36:02 PM
Canada is unlikely to make a difference in terms of global warming.  The real deciders will be China, India, the US and Europe.

I disagree strongly. It is about the means and the technology and engineering. As soon as one shows how a modern economy can function with minimal emissions, others will follow. Canada could certainly be that country.

Canada is an oil producing country.  Why be the cause of the downfall of that important industry?  Let somebody else be that example. 

crazy canuck

But teacher, the humans in 2019 already knew the story of the tragedy of the commons.

Yes, they knew the story but it was not enough to overcome their pursuit of short term individual gain.

But didn't they realize they were ruining their world?

Yes, by 2019, most did.  But still enough humans believed it was not a pressing problem and so their political leaders did nothing.  But now it is time to put away our books about primitive history.  Our next topic is biology and how our species evolved when the humans died out.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2019, 09:12:50 AM
Curious

Not the word I would use to describe the wilful blindness to global warming.

Zoupa

It's a good thing not every human is like Mono. We'd still be living in caves.

Monoriu

I don't even know why we having this debate.  We are individuals.  Regardless of what we do, the effect on global warming will be  so close to zero that the difference with zero is meaningless. 

Oexmelin

We are having this debate because we are invested in our collective future.

You are not. You are only invested in your own. And so anything that does not impact your capacity to retire, watch stolen anime, and continue to live according to your own made up rules never, ever register as meaningful.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 20, 2019, 04:18:06 PM
I don't even know why we having this debate.  We are individuals.  Regardless of what we do, the effect on global warming will be  so close to zero that the difference with zero is meaningless. 

I am an engineer working to move our entire power system forward. I am not sure why how power is generated has zero impact on global warming but go ahead and enlighten me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I think mono had early, basic exposure to the prisoners' dilemma and stopped paying attention after he found out the person confessing comes out ahead in one round.

Camerus

To me, the reasonable pro-Alberta oil argument is that yes, Alberta must continue to diversify its economy and the world will and must gradually move beyond burning fossil fuels. Alberta must also do its part by taxing carbon, funding renewables, etc. But this is a long term project. For now, people still use lots of fossil fuels, including in Quebec and Vancouver. So why not allow the world to buy Canadian oil rather than from unpalatable tyrannies? The alternative is also to push a national unity crisis.

Unfortunately Notley got burned from attempting to pursue just such a reasonable path, upping the ante for the next step.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2019, 06:18:01 PM
I think mono had early, basic exposure to the prisoners' dilemma and stopped paying attention after he found out the person confessing comes out ahead in one round.

I think it is interesting to have public policy debates on, say, racial equity.  But at the same time, I can make friends with a white nationalist, as long as we leave each other alone.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on April 20, 2019, 07:33:08 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2019, 06:18:01 PM

I think it is interesting to have public policy debates on, say, racial equity.  But at the same time, I can make friends with a white nationalist, as long as we leave each other alone.

Is this a response to what i wrote?  I don't see the connection.