News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Anyone out there remember Willie de Wit?  He was a Canadian boxer, won a silver in the 84 Olympics. 

After his boxing career he went to law school, and practices criminal law down in Calgary.  SOmehow he became the "go to" lawyer for Calgary cops who are being investigated for criminal activity.  Those files are inevitably sent to Edmonton to prosecute so I know a bit about him that way.

He was appointed to the Court of Queen's Bench today.

He's certainly had an interesting life and career so far...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

That is a good story.  I remember cheering for him.  Irrc he also spent some time as a boxing commentator in later Olympic games.

HVC

Interesting story. Protecting crooked cops seems less than noble though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on March 24, 2017, 08:04:05 PM

Everybody has a right to representation HVC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2017, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 24, 2017, 08:04:05 PM

Everybody has a right to representation HVC.

When you make a career out of it it rubs me the wrong way, a la mob lawyers.  protecting people who abuse the public trust (once again as a focused career choice) makes me think less of you.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

Every godfather has a right to a consigliere HVC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 25, 2017, 08:50:43 PM
Eggplants.  :rolleyes:

Pretty soon that's all you'll be able to eat, so laugh it up chuckles ;)

Barrister

Realized today was the deadline for buying a Conservative Party membership in time for the vote.  I am again a member.  :cool:

Barring something unforeseen, I'll be voting for Bernier.  Endorsements don't usually sway me, but I was leaning that way, and when Steven Fletcher (former MP and cabinet minister alongside Bernier, as well as an old friend from university days) endorsed Bernier I decided he was my guy.

Grey Fox

Go Crazy! Atleast you are assured that the leader gets elected to Parliement again next election. Bernier has crushing majorities in his county.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 28, 2017, 01:27:15 PM
Go Crazy! Atleast you are assured that the leader gets elected to Parliement again next election. Bernier has crushing majorities in his county.

Crazy would be to elect O'Leary.

Grey Fox

It would amount the destroying the party, yes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2017, 12:31:26 PM
Realized today was the deadline for buying a Conservative Party membership in time for the vote.  I am again a member.  :cool:

Barring something unforeseen, I'll be voting for Bernier.  Endorsements don't usually sway me, but I was leaning that way, and when Steven Fletcher (former MP and cabinet minister alongside Bernier, as well as an old friend from university days) endorsed Bernier I decided he was my guy.

Birthday present to yourself?

:cheers:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011