News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

I'm sure if CC had a take he would have pontificated by now  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on September 30, 2014, 06:32:02 PM
I'm sure if CC had a take he would have pontificated by now  ;)

I assume there were (are) circumstances preventing him from doing so, since that seems more likely than him lacking a take (and taking the opportunity to pontificate) on a matter of BC politics.

crazy canuck

One thing I will say is that I continue to be amazed at how poorly the media reports on these things.   

When Katmai comes to town I might share a bit more with you over some beers.  Turns out you are paying this time.  :P

HVC

I remember ontario's string of teachers strikes, they were fun at first and then got old quickly. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 30, 2014, 11:03:44 PM
One thing I will say is that I continue to be amazed at how poorly the media reports on these things.   

When Katmai comes to town I might share a bit more with you over some beers.  Turns out you are paying this time.  :P

Sure.

It might turn out to be a six pack of Canterbury Dark & Mild and some brown bags in the park, depending on how things go, but sure :)

crazy canuck

Lawrence Martin has a good piece in the Globe which more or less reflects my view of the Opposition's response to sending warplanes into combat.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/did-trudeau-reject-a-liberal-combat-plan/article20959491/

Jacob

Yeah, I don't take issue with Harper on this. Not fond of the ISIL crew at all.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2014, 12:37:12 PM
Lawrence Martin has a good piece in the Globe which more or less reflects my view of the Opposition's response to sending warplanes into combat.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/did-trudeau-reject-a-liberal-combat-plan/article20959491/

His base is Quebec, of course and, Quebec, going all the way back to the Boer War, has lined up forcibly against war more than any other Canadian province. Mr. Mulcair surely has that in mind.
False statement about Quebec again designed to make the people look bad.

WW1 saw as much opposition to conscription as everywhere else in Canada.  It's just been overplayed by English medias.  And of course, the Canadian army opened fire on protestators, something they didn't do elsewhere in the country, afaik.

In WWII, volunteer recruitment was higher in Quebec than anywhere else in Canada.  Again, the trouble arosed when the government renegated on its promise of "no conscription".  I'd be pretty pissed off too if I voted for a politician based on his promise of not voting the conscription only to have him do it as soon as he's elected.

For the other wars in wich Canada participated, there was no more opposition in Quebec than anywhere else in the country.  The 2nd Iraq war in wich Canada did not participate saw a much higher proportion of the population opposed to it than elsewhere in the country, it's true. But it's not like the Liberal party at the time had it's base in Quebec, they were Ontario's party.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2014, 01:45:14 PM

His base is Quebec, of course and, Quebec, going all the way back to the Boer War, has lined up forcibly against war more than any other Canadian province. Mr. Mulcair surely has that in mind.

WW1 saw as much opposition to conscription as everywhere else in Canada.  It's just been overplayed by English medias.  And of course, the Canadian army opened fire on protestators, something they didn't do elsewhere in the country, afaik.

I am pretty sure there were no violent riots in any other Province and certainly nothing coming close to the Easter Riots in Quebec.   I think you are overplaying your hand by stating the opposition in Quebec was just like everywhere else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on October 07, 2014, 01:01:20 PM
Yeah, I don't take issue with Harper on this. Not fond of the ISIL crew at all.

Not surprisingly the Globe has come out generally in favour as well.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/editorials/on-balance-harpers-choice-for-military-action-in-iraq-is-right/article20975218/

Trudeau could have used this opportunity to show he can handle the job.  But instead he have reinforced the view he isnt up to it.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2014, 02:28:15 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2014, 01:45:14 PM

I am pretty sure there were no violent riots in any other Province and certainly nothing coming close to the Easter Riots in Quebec.   I think you are overplaying your hand by stating the opposition in Quebec was just like everywhere else.
that's not opposition to the war, that's opposition to conscription.

The NDP had the same silly anti-war opinion on Afghanistan.  Yet, they didn't have a single MP in Quebec at the time.
The Libs were against the Iraq war, and they had their base of power in Ontario and Montreal's West Island (anglo ridings).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on October 08, 2014, 02:43:45 PM
that's not opposition to the war, that's opposition to conscription.
That's a little disingenuous.  They weren't opposing the war, they were only opposing the means by which the war could be continued.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

The Globe's editorial today points out what some of us here have been thinking about Trudeau for a while now.

Quotewe've been hit with the temptation to say, Quiet, Justin. The adults are talking.

Josephus

I thought the consensus on Languish was we don't believe anything written in newspapers.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on October 09, 2014, 09:29:27 AM
I thought the consensus on Languish was we don't believe anything written in newspapers.  ;)

Are you reflecting the accuracy of news reporting?