News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 18, 2023, 01:02:16 PMPattison is strongly independent, and always has been.  He could have made a lot more money selling his business interests. But he likes to run them instead. 

He's also 94 years old.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Is this the same Pattison that owns the Billboard empire?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2023, 01:04:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 18, 2023, 01:02:16 PMPattison is strongly independent, and always has been.  He could have made a lot more money selling his business interests. But he likes to run them instead. 

He's also 94 years old.

Yes, and he has spent a lot of time creating a culture within those who help run his businesses, that I have hope his core values will outlive him.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 18, 2023, 01:07:42 PMIs this the same Pattison that owns the Billboard empire?

Yes, and I can remember when he first started it.  Thanks, now I feel old  :D

HVC

He's also 94 years old.

And has car dealerships. Some members would consider him worse then the devil :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 18, 2023, 01:12:43 PM

He's also 94 years old.

Yes, and he has spent a lot of time creating a culture within those who help run his businesses, that I have hope his core values will outlive him.

I think I was more hinting that it'll depend on whomever inherits his business empire.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on September 18, 2023, 01:14:41 PM

He's also 94 years old.

And has car dealerships. Some members would consider him worse then the devil :P

He started out as a car salesman and his first business was a car dealership, so perhaps the worst of the worst  :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2023, 01:15:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 18, 2023, 01:12:43 PM

He's also 94 years old.

I think I was more hinting that it'll depend on whomever inherits his business empire.

That is why I was talking about the culture, he has stated publicly his kids will not inherit his wealth.  It will likely be managed through a trust likely with the profits going to several non profits and charities.  Which is essentially what happens now.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2023, 12:32:10 PMSome of those ethnic grocery stores are actually owned by the big guys.  T&T is owned by Loblaws.  Chalo FreshCo (which carries a lot of goods for South Asian shoppers) is owned by Sobeys.

Was thinking of neighbourhood groecry stores, much smaller stores than T&T... places like this or this.

In addition to the neighbourhood stores we also have a good number of fairly larger supermarkets or well distributed chains like H-Mart, LA Win, Sungiven, and Foodyworld (those are all East Asian, but there are some East Indian ones in other parts of Vancouver).

... not much of a point, really, just that there are a lot of grocery stores around in Vancouver. In smaller communities there are much less choice I expect, but that's true for many things not just groceries.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 18, 2023, 02:18:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2023, 12:32:10 PMSome of those ethnic grocery stores are actually owned by the big guys.  T&T is owned by Loblaws.  Chalo FreshCo (which carries a lot of goods for South Asian shoppers) is owned by Sobeys.

Was thinking of neighbourhood groecry stores, much smaller stores than T&T... places like this or this.

In addition to the neighbourhood stores we also have a good number of fairly larger supermarkets or well distributed chains like H-Mart, LA Win, Sungiven, and Foodyworld (those are all East Asian, but there are some East Indian ones in other parts of Vancouver).

... not much of a point, really, just that there are a lot of grocery stores around in Vancouver. In smaller communities there are much less choice I expect, but that's true for many things not just groceries.

OK then.  I did use the word "some".

So our prior student to last was from Asia.  All in all it was kind of a disappointing experience, but one of the positives was it caused me to become much more familiar with asian grocery stores.  I know there are quite small fully independent stores (I mean - from my office I could throw a stone and hit Chinatown), but T&T and H Mart are pretty accessibly to a whitey like me, and kind of fun to go shopping at.

HVC

H mart is great. We have a region one called Nations (one location in like 4 cities). Lots of portuguese people buy there because you can buy stuff like pigs ears and other odds and ends compared to other places.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

There is are a number of great specialty stores here that are independent - Jacob, for Italian foods take a look at Bosa's.  But then again you live close to any number of mom and pop places that sell Italian food stuffs.

The Bosa family is mainly in the home construction business, but as I understand the genesis of the store is they were frustrated that they could not get some of the foods they loved, so they solved the problem directly.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on September 18, 2023, 02:38:45 PMH mart is great. We have a region one called Nations (one location in like 4 cities). Lots of portuguese people buy there because you can buy stuff like pigs ears and other odds and ends compared to other places.

I do prefer H Mart over T&T, but mostly just because the aisles are wider and it doesn't seem so crazily crowded.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 18, 2023, 02:57:07 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 18, 2023, 02:38:45 PMH mart is great. We have a region one called Nations (one location in like 4 cities). Lots of portuguese people buy there because you can buy stuff like pigs ears and other odds and ends compared to other places.

I do prefer H Mart over T&T, but mostly just because the aisles are wider and it doesn't seem so crazily crowded.

T&T used to be better. Used to go to the Scarborough one for lunch once in a while with work friends. Do some shopping too. This was over 10 years ago. That store is gone now, but the quality and experience at other stores feels different now in any regards.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 18, 2023, 02:47:03 PMThere is are a number of great specialty stores here that are independent - Jacob, for Italian foods take a look at Bosa's.  But then again you live close to any number of mom and pop places that sell Italian food stuffs.

The Bosa family is mainly in the home construction business, but as I understand the genesis of the store is they were frustrated that they could not get some of the foods they loved, so they solved the problem directly.

There used to be a few Portuguese places, but a lot went out of business the last decade or so (Covid accelerated ). There are two chains, but they're not as good and you can get the same at Asian stores for less. Pastries are another thing entirely though. Although Nations does sell pasteis de nata