And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: HVC on October 06, 2011, 10:45:33 AM
My mistake. i thought all quebec politicians were criminals :D

Mostly the federasts.   I wonder if their moral turpitude is the cause of their federasty or the result of it.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on October 06, 2011, 10:56:05 AM
Mostly the federasts.   I wonder if their moral turpitude is the cause of their federasty or the result of it.
I think it's just that francophones are more likely to commit crimes because they like common decency.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Only the ones calling themselves Canadians ;) :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on October 06, 2011, 12:41:19 PM
Only the ones calling themselves Canadians ;) :P

Didn't the discussion of criminal Quebec politicians start with evidence of serious PQ corruption?

BuddhaRhubarb

my 2 cents re: insite decision... It's interesting that a lot of the language of the decision is stuff I was laughed at here on Languish over earlier this year. "More good than harm" is actually an important concept. Who'd a thunk it. :p
:p

Malthus

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 06, 2011, 12:46:14 PM
my 2 cents re: insite decision... It's interesting that a lot of the language of the decision is stuff I was laughed at here on Languish over earlier this year. "More good than harm" is actually an important concept. Who'd a thunk it. :p

They laughed at me then - BUT WHO'S LAUGHING NOW! Muah hah ha!

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

I am pretty sure it was only Neil that was doing the laughing at that concept and it is no surprise he is the most bitter about the decision.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 06, 2011, 12:44:05 PM
Didn't the discussion of criminal Quebec politicians start with evidence of serious PQ corruption?
It was the PLQ = Parti Libéral du Québec, not the PQ = Parti Québécois (seperatists).  Though they are probably not innocent, they haven't been in power since 2003.
And there's been no evidence of corruption from PLQ members so far, what we thing is happening are construction & engineering firms corrupting bureaucrats to gain unfair advantages such as over-billing and then financing the political parties with this money, but so far, they've been unable to confirm that last part.

And they won't either.  The leader of the anti-corruption unit has just been sacked this morning.  He went against the government line and put them in serious trouble by talking to a parliamentary committee.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Maybe you missed your calling.  You could have been slimy, lawyering scum and acted against the interests of society and the Canadian people.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Meanwhile, in Ontario, looks like McGuinty's Liberals will win. Only thing to be determined is whether or not they'll keep their majority. Looks like they may end up 3-5 seats short of that.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Well, it looks like people don't hate the HST after all.

Josephus

Percentage wise it's pretty close. Looks like the Libs got 37 per cent and the PCs 35 and the NDP about 25. In our wonderful first-past-the post system, the Libs may still get a narrow majority. Last  I checked they had, or are leading in, 53 of the required 54 seats.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on October 06, 2011, 08:54:18 PM

Only the idiots on the left coast do.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2011, 10:14:01 PM

Why should I hate the HST?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 07, 2011, 06:27:29 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2011, 10:14:01 PM

Why should I hate the HST?
you're on the rigth coast, technically :P

For B-C, I believe it was badly implemented and they ended up paying more for their products.  Asking the Feds to raise the "rich people" tax levels was ok, but paying themselves more taxes, I suppose they tought they weren't rich enough for that :P