News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

That was quick  :lol:  I just think it is already very nice of Canadians to accept immigrants and try to provide a roughly fair chance in school and employment.  Anything else is way above and beyond what is necessary. 

Ancient Demon

I think it's fair to say multiculturalism has gone to far when it's considered more appropriate to name things in Canada after Muhammad Ali Jinnah than Sir John A MacDonald.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Maximus

Quote from: Ancient Demon on August 18, 2018, 09:27:55 AM
I think it's fair to say multiculturalism has gone to far when it's considered more appropriate to name things in Canada after Muhammad Ali Jinnah than Sir John A MacDonald.
1. You may think that,  but I don't see any reason why it would be so.

2. I'm willing to bet that there are orders of magnitude more things in Canada named after Sir John A than named after Jinnah.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ancient Demon on August 18, 2018, 09:27:55 AM

The park was not named after Macdonald and Victoria city hall is not replacing MacDonald's statue with a statue of Jinnah.

The two are not related at all, except for people who need to try to make their racism make sense.

Admiral Yi

It's odd to me to name a park in Winnipeg after a Pakistani who has nothing at all do with Canada.

Jacob

Quote from: Monoriu on August 18, 2018, 04:52:13 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2018, 04:47:38 AM

:huh:

We have parks named after Chinese people and have had for some time - even when you were here

That's not really the point.  The point is, if Canadians don't want to have parks named after Chinese people, I won't be surprised and I don't have a problem with their position.

There are many Canadians with Chinese names.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2018, 01:29:01 PM
The park was not named after Macdonald and Victoria city hall is not replacing MacDonald's statue with a statue of Jinnah.

The two are not related at all, except for people who need to try to make their racism make sense.

The two issues are not related, true.

But it was a interesting juxtaposition to make.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Jinnai, a nationalist whose career was all about rejecting the concept of a multi-cultural state, seems like a weird example of multiculturalism gone too far. Why such a man would have something named after him in Canada is beyond me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2018, 11:53:31 PM
Jinnai, a nationalist whose career was all about rejecting the concept of a multi-cultural state, seems like a weird example of multiculturalism gone too far. Why such a man would have something named after him in Canada is beyond me.

They wanted to name something after a Pakistani to reflect our Pakistani community.  But yeah, I think the particular person they chose was poor.  Perhaps Malala would have been a better choice (albeit still quite young)?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2018, 09:03:54 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2018, 01:29:01 PM

The two issues are not related, true.

But it was a interesting juxtaposition to make.

Indeed.  What conclusions do you draw from him making that comparison?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2018, 11:53:31 PM

Don't sell yourself short, I am sure if you really concentrate you will be able to figure it
out.  To help you, here is a hint - we have at least two Americans who post on Languish who have named themselves based on what occurred in other countries because they feel some connection with that.  After you consider what possible motivation this group had in that context you might even recognize you have something in common with them.

Zoupa

Jesus dude. No need to be so snarky.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on August 19, 2018, 11:50:02 AM
Jesus dude. No need to be so snarky.

Meh, in commenting about a news article about the Bernier tweets leading to vandalism of a park sign, the thing he can't understand is why a group from Pakistan would want to name a park after someone associated with Pakistan?  No concern about the act of violence.  No concern about the incitement of racists in Canada.  That is about as polite as one can be to such idiocy.

garbon

Yeah I'm sure V doesnt care about racism. :rolleyes:

How about we act like we've known each other for more than a decade?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.