News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

We need a thread. Government about to fall. Election campaign soon.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

What's the point?  The end result will be the same, except the Liberals will be stronger and the NDP weaker.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Cecil

What is the conservatives polling at?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Cecil on March 23, 2011, 03:35:44 AM
What is the conservatives polling at?

34% everywhere but in Quebec, I believe.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on March 22, 2011, 09:37:23 PM
What's the point?  The end result will be the same, except the Liberals will be stronger and the NDP weaker.

That wouldn't disappoint me so much. I don't like Layton and am hoping he goes down after this election.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

I might vote Cons. I don't like them much, nor do I care about their tendencies to control everything plus their hidden agenda but my number 1 issue is #UBB & so far Clement's the only one that seems to be against it for more then the political capital it gives.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

The Conservatives need enough rope to hang themselves - that means time.  Were I the Bloc leader I'd continue to support them until they do so; hang that is.

As things stands though it's a gigantic waste of money that will further alienate the electorate from its representatives.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Camerus

I supported the Conservatives in the last couple elections.  I might otherwise be inclined to vote Liberal this time, but with Iggy as their leader and lacking any coherent principles, I will likely vote Conservative.

Josephus

Because Harper is so full of principles.
Civis Romanus Sum

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on March 23, 2011, 09:42:29 AM

Both Harper and Ignatief seem to be honest and principled in their personal dealings.  If that's how PP meant it, I would disagree with him.

If however PP mean political principles, he is right.  Harper has a very concistent political ideology, and has generally been consistent in pushing for same (Potash decision notwithstanding <_<).  If Harper is elected you know what you will get.  That's not to say it's a secret agenda - you only have to look at what issues he's pushed for the last several years: balanced budget, lower taxes, tough on crime, clamp down on illegal refugees / streamline immigratin process, pro-military.

Ignatief though... it's unclear what his political principles are.  He had a long track record of wriging and commentary before returning to politics, but it doesn't seem to have much connection to anything he's saying as leader.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

This feels a bit contrived to me.  There is no burning issue to go to the polls over.  It seems to me the Liberals motivation is to see if Iggy will sink or swim and if he sinks to move on to another period of party "renewal".  I have no idea what Layton's motivation is.  The NDP will lose seats. The conservatives can't be all that unhappy because they have a shot at a majority or the status quo.  I dont know enough about politics within Quebec to know what the Bloc is thinking but they might be forced to vote against the budget because they didnt get all the funding they wanted.
I want you to panic

https://www.theguardian.com/science/video/2019/jan/25/i-want-you-to-panic-16-year-old-greta-thunberg-issues-climate-warning-at-davos-video

"Woke" is now almost exclusively used by those who seek to deride it, those who chafe at the activism from which it sprang. Opponents to the idea are seeking to render it toxic. They use it to stand in for change itself, for evolution, for an accurate assessment of history and society that makes them uncomfortable and deflates their hagiographic view of American history.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on March 23, 2011, 09:42:29 AM

Yes.  They just happen to be priciples that are at odds with your particular ideology.
I want you to panic

https://www.theguardian.com/science/video/2019/jan/25/i-want-you-to-panic-16-year-old-greta-thunberg-issues-climate-warning-at-davos-video

"Woke" is now almost exclusively used by those who seek to deride it, those who chafe at the activism from which it sprang. Opponents to the idea are seeking to render it toxic. They use it to stand in for change itself, for evolution, for an accurate assessment of history and society that makes them uncomfortable and deflates their hagiographic view of American history.

Josephus

Absolutely, which is why I'm not a Layton fan; I don't think we need this election.

The Conservatives have the most to gain--Harper's long coveted dictatorship majority governement. He's already been found in contempt of parliament, imagine what he could do with a majority.

I think this is a final stand for all three leaders.

If Harper doesn't get his majority; If Iggy doesn't win at least a minority; If Layton doesn't gain an extra seat, then  their time as party leader is over.

As it stands now, I believe the Cons are on track to make a valiant effort at that majority...but election campaigns are fickle creatures and anything can happen. But I don't think either Iggy or Layton has the ability to swing this campaign, so the only hope is for Harper to blow it like the Conservatives did in Ontario. We shall seee.

We should also have a pool to see what percentage of eligible voters will vote...I think it will be extremely low.
Civis Romanus Sum

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 23, 2011, 11:48:02 AM
This feels a bit contrived to me.  There is no burning issue to go to the polls over.  It seems to me the Liberals motivation is to see if Iggy will sink or swim and if he sinks to move on to another period of party "renewal".  I have no idea what Layton's motivation is.  The NDP will lose seats. The conservatives can't be all that unhappy because they have a shot at a majority or the status quo.  I dont know enough about politics within Quebec to know what the Bloc is thinking but they might be forced to vote against the budget because they didnt get all the funding they wanted.

All I can come up with isa that the NDP's loony fringe, who never saw a political advantage they wouldn't squander, just bitched so much about Harper they forced Layton into a disasterous election.

Bloc - maybe they think the arena non-funding in QC is enough for them to make headway (plus is there any residual effect from the whole coalition fiasco where the Conservatives railed against an alliance with sepratists)?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on March 23, 2011, 11:54:23 AM
He's already been found in contempt of parliament, imagine what he could do with a majority.

You can tone down the party rhetoric here.  So the three opposition parties who want to force an election for some reason got together to vote on a "contempt of parliament motion"  which is effectively an "I dont like you" motion.

That may sell in union halls and NDP faithful meetings but I doubt it is going to have much resonance anywhere else.

I agree with you about Iggy and Layton being on the way out.  But as much as you might wish it I doubt Harper is going anywhere. He has governed very effectively for years with a minority government and a majority has never been far away.

I agree that voter turnout will be low.  Tough to say who that will benefit.
I want you to panic