100 years after Triangle fire, horror resonates

Started by garbon, March 22, 2011, 10:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I'm glad I was long gone when they started doing those stupid tests to graduate. I did the fucking work, now let me out of the fucking school.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on March 22, 2011, 06:17:30 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 22, 2011, 06:05:53 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2011, 06:04:24 PM
Quote from: dps on March 22, 2011, 02:37:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2011, 11:55:03 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2011, 11:49:53 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2011, 11:38:01 AM
"horror resonates"  :lmfao:

I'm sure 99% of people have never even heard of the Triangle Shirtwaist Company.

I was thinking the same thing.  Nobody outside of labor or general US history buffs have heard of it.
Isn't it taught in history classes?

We don't much teach any history in history class in US schools.  And even in when we do, in most places the histroy cirriculum is either so out-of-date that US history essentially ends with "Remember the Maine" or has gotten so politically correct that the only thing taught is the history of the civil rights movement.
Completely untrue.

US History 1 & 2 is required to graduate in RI and it covers the Colonial Era to Reconstruction and 1877 to the present (we managed to get to the 1960s).

Dps' education experience may differ from your own.

Actually, even when I was in H.S., US history II was supposed to cover up through Watergate.  But as I said, in practice, we never really got past the Spanish-American War.
How is that possible? :blink:
While certainly important stuff happened between 1877-98 (2nd Industrial Revolution, Rise of Jim Crow, the Gilded Age and the beginning of the Rise of Labor), they're not the kind of stuff that HS teachers love to focus on. WTF could you be wasting the whole year on?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

When I was a kid we had to take this thing called CTBS every couple of years.  I'm not sure if you could flunk that test or what happened if you did badly because nobody was ever held back because of it, as far as I know.

I also had to take AP tests, but that was just to see if you qualified for college credit, not to actually pass the class and therefore graduate/not graduate (though typically if someone did badly on the AP test, they were probably doing badly in the class overall).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2011, 06:36:52 PM
Quote from: dps on March 22, 2011, 06:17:30 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 22, 2011, 06:05:53 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2011, 06:04:24 PM
Quote from: dps on March 22, 2011, 02:37:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2011, 11:55:03 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2011, 11:49:53 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2011, 11:38:01 AM
"horror resonates"  :lmfao:

I'm sure 99% of people have never even heard of the Triangle Shirtwaist Company.

I was thinking the same thing.  Nobody outside of labor or general US history buffs have heard of it.
Isn't it taught in history classes?

We don't much teach any history in history class in US schools.  And even in when we do, in most places the histroy cirriculum is either so out-of-date that US history essentially ends with "Remember the Maine" or has gotten so politically correct that the only thing taught is the history of the civil rights movement.
Completely untrue.

US History 1 & 2 is required to graduate in RI and it covers the Colonial Era to Reconstruction and 1877 to the present (we managed to get to the 1960s).

Dps' education experience may differ from your own.

Actually, even when I was in H.S., US history II was supposed to cover up through Watergate.  But as I said, in practice, we never really got past the Spanish-American War.
How is that possible? :blink:
While certainly important stuff happened between 1877-98 (2nd Industrial Revolution, Rise of Jim Crow, the Gilded Age and the beginning of the Rise of Labor), they're not the kind of stuff that HS teachers love to focus on. WTF could you be wasting the whole year on?

At the time. American History I was the colonial era through 1850.  American History II was 1851-1975, so we focused mostly on the Civil War.  The whole 1902-1975 era got maybe a week at the end of the 2nd semester.

Caliga

When I took American History AP and we got to the Civil War, James McPherson came to speak to the class. :cool:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2011, 06:46:39 PM
When I took American History AP and we got to the Civil War, James McPherson came to speak to the class. :cool:
:worthy:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Yep, growing up in a wealthy community 20 miles from Princeton was pretty nice. :smoke:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2011, 06:46:39 PM

Was that zombie James B McPherson, or was it the historian?

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2011, 06:29:16 PM
Hah, my brother's girlfriend was ranting about the Regent's Exams last summer when we were in Jersey.  I had no idea what she was talking about. :blush:

edit: She's from Long Island.
I'm not the kind to be intimidated by exams, and as an A- student, I was obviously expected to pass them easily.  However, even I had a butterfly or two in my stomach every time I took one (except the math ones).  They're quite intimidating, just because of the stakes involved.

Caliga

The historian who wrote Battle Cry of Freedom.  Our school had a 'no zombies' policy.  Also a 'no blacks' policy. :blush:

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2011, 06:50:30 PM
I'm not the kind to be intimidated by exams, and as an A- student, I was obviously expected to pass them easily.  However, even I had a butterfly or two in my stomach every time I took one (except the math ones).  They're quite intimidating, just because of the stakes involved.
I always just kinda blew exams off, whether or not they were in-class or shit like the CTBS or SAT. :)

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2011, 06:51:43 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2011, 06:50:30 PM
I always just kinda blew exams off, whether or not they were in-class or shit like the CTBS or SAT. :)
I understand that about class finals, it's not like high school should be any challenge for most people here.  However, I think that's a silly attitude when it comes to SATs.  Yes, if you're smart, you're going to score high.  But scoring higher still carries a lot of benefits, and in my case, it got me a full scholarship to college.

Caliga

I got a 1310, which I think is pretty good for not studying or taking one of those Kaplan courses.

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2011, 07:14:13 PM
I got a 1310, which I think is pretty good for not studying or taking one of those Kaplan courses.
The thing is that colleges don't handicap your score based on how much effort you put in to get it.  Even if you get admitted into the college of your choice, your SAT score may well determine what kind of merit scholarship you'll get.  Unless you can get 1600 (or 2400 now) without studying, being a cool guy while taking the SAT means leaving the money on the table.  You should at least get a Barron's study guide or something, that doesn't take much investment or effort.