100 years after Triangle fire, horror resonates

Started by garbon, March 22, 2011, 10:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: dps on March 22, 2011, 02:37:53 PM
We don't much teach any history in history class in US schools.  And even in when we do, in most places the histroy cirriculum is either so out-of-date that US history essentially ends with "Remember the Maine" or has gotten so politically correct that the only thing taught is the history of the civil rights movement.

Umm, my classes in public school always got us up to WWI if not WWII.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I really don't recall talking about Triangle Shirtwaist prior to American History AP, and have no idea if non-AP kids are taught about that.  But it was a pretty brief lesson related to the organized labor movement, which didn't get discussed much in general as a wider topic.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

I also remember Pullman and Chicago in Am. History. It was in there.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2011, 03:12:51 PM
We don't much teach any history in history class in US schools.  And even in when we do, in most places the histroy cirriculum is either so out-of-date that US history essentially ends with "Remember the Maine" or has gotten so politically correct that the only thing taught is the history of the civil rights movement.

Umm, my classes in public school always got us up to WWI if not WWII.

Well, I was speaking from my personal experiences.  You're roughly 20 years younger than me, so it makes sense that they were teaching about things roughly 20 years more recent when you were in high school.

garbon

Quote from: dps on March 22, 2011, 03:25:09 PM
Well, I was speaking from my personal experiences.  You're roughly 20 years younger than me, so it makes sense that they were teaching about things roughly 20 years more recent when you were in high school.

And hence more relevant to what is actually taught today per DGul. :P

Although, that has little bearing on the general pop. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Oh yeah, I've heard of Haymarket.

As long as the subject is up, did any of y'all study how exactly unions got us the 40 hour week and overtime?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2011, 11:55:03 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2011, 11:49:53 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2011, 11:38:01 AM
"horror resonates"  :lmfao:

I'm sure 99% of people have never even heard of the Triangle Shirtwaist Company.

I was thinking the same thing.  Nobody outside of labor or general US history buffs have heard of it.
Isn't it taught in history classes?

Completely untrue.

US History 1 & 2 is required to graduate in RI and it covers the Colonial Era to Reconstruction and 1877 to End of the Cold War (we managed to get to the Moon Landing IIRC).
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2011, 06:04:24 PM

I'm sure 99% of people have never even heard of the Triangle Shirtwaist Company.

I was thinking the same thing.  Nobody outside of labor or general US history buffs have heard of it.

Completely untrue.

US History 1 & 2 is required to graduate in RI and it covers the Colonial Era to Reconstruction and 1877 to the present (we managed to get to the 1960s).

Dps' education experience may differ from your own.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 22, 2011, 06:05:53 PM

Which as I already said, makes it rather irrelevant for answering DGul's question although not the underlying bit about whether the gen pop would know of it.

dps

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 22, 2011, 06:05:53 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2011, 06:04:24 PM

Completely untrue.

US History 1 & 2 is required to graduate in RI and it covers the Colonial Era to Reconstruction and 1877 to the present (we managed to get to the 1960s).

Actually, even when I was in H.S., US history II was supposed to cover up through Watergate.  But as I said, in practice, we never really got past the Spanish-American War.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

In New York, where I went to high school, there is something called Regents Exams, and US history exam is one of the exams you need to pass to get your diploma.  That means that you better cover what you're supposed to cover in class, because the exam will surely cover it.

Caliga

Hah, my brother's girlfriend was ranting about the Regent's Exams last summer when we were in Jersey.  I had no idea what she was talking about. :blush:

edit: She's from Long Island.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points