News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Won Andulusia in a crusade  (minus Aragon which I had already helped Aquataine conquer in a holy war). Same king that originally liberated Aquataine. Dude reigned for 48 years and basically saved Christendom. His grandson inherited and is waiting for his Mom, the Queen of Scotland, to die so he can get a claim to it. Once I've conquered Scotland I can found the empire of Britain.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

The Kingdom of England, Wales, Norway and Andalusia. Not sure why the screenshots came out low quality. :unsure:

Recently the Abassid Caliphate just blew the fuck up due to decadence revolts. What remains of the Caliphate is ruled by the Bahirids. They have a decent amount of Mesopotamia under their control, but their capital is in Tunis.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Conquered Scotland and declared the Empire, infamy went through the roof and nearly all the west is in a coalition against me.

Byzantines are failing to take advantage of the chaos. They've only annexed one county in the east since the Abbasid collapse.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Anyways, I really like the addition of the council. That part of the expansion was really well done.

The new education mechanic though... it seems like a good idea in theory, but it seems to be less so in practice. Not that kids aren't educated, they are. However there's a lot less interaction with the kids, and just less gameplay really or so it seems.

Also, I noticed that some events are glitchy. The "your daughter has eloped with a mercenary leader" did not actually result in that happening. There were another one or two that also didn't work for some reason. (This was over 240 years of game play). Any one else notice any problems like that?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2016, 06:47:27 PM
The new education mechanic though... it seems like a good idea in theory, but it seems to be less so in practice. Not that kids aren't educated, they are. However there's a lot less interaction with the kids, and just less gameplay really or so it seems.

I agree in general.  OTOH, there was a poster on the CKII forum at Paradox complaining that educating your kids is too much work now.  I don't see how someone could think that, though.  True, under the new system, you have to make a minimum of 4 decisions about every child, whereas with the old system, the minimum was 3;  but with the new system, you seem to average only 1 or 2 random events where you have to make decision during each character's entire childhood, whereas with the old system it was probably closer to 1 event per child every year, or at least every other year.

QuoteAlso, I noticed that some events are glitchy. The "your daughter has eloped with a mercenary leader" did not actually result in that happening. There were another one or two that also didn't work for some reason. (This was over 240 years of game play). Any one else notice any problems like that?

I've seen other reports of that, but I don't think it's a glitch per se, but more one of those instances where Paradox uses a term in a sense that is not quite intuitive to native English speakers.  I think people are taking "eloped" to mean she ran off and marries the mercenary leader, but what actually happens is that they become lovers.  If you're looking at her portrait, he won't show up as her husband on the family tab, but if you click on the relations tab, he'll show up as her lover.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on February 22, 2016, 04:58:02 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2016, 06:47:27 PM

I've seen other reports of that, but I don't think it's a glitch per se, but more one of those instances where Paradox uses a term in a sense that is not quite intuitive to native English speakers.  I think people are taking "eloped" to mean she ran off and marries the mercenary leader, but what actually happens is that they become lovers.  If you're looking at her portrait, he won't show up as her husband on the family tab, but if you click on the relations tab, he'll show up as her lover.

Ah, I'll have to check that out next time. Thanks.

Update on my game.

Conquered Galicia in a crusade and awarded it to my eldest son. Noticed a two county Irish domain was now ruled by an Anglo-Saxon boy, offered vassalization and he took it. Crowned myself king of Ireland and gave it my cousin, the Duke of Ulster. I have now given all the kingdoms away aside from England and Andalusia. All are held by kin aside from the Scottish throne which is elective.

Several Byzantine Dukes have overrun the Kingdom of Armenia and the Emperor was 1% shy of conquering the Duchy of Mesopotamia when I quit last night, so the Greeks are finally taking advantage of the chaos.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

With the Ummayads crushed and Western Europe an anarchic clusterfuck due to Frankish incompetence, I got bored with no clear goals.

So I started a new game as the Byzantine Emperor in the early start. Went the scholarship route and built an observatory. Became cynical, renounced Iconoclasim, and eventually discovered and published the heliocentric theory of the solar system. Conquered the Duchy of Cilicia via Holy War and added it to my domain, then conquered the Duchies of Croatia and Rashka for my two eldest sons (also via Holy War).

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Drakken on February 05, 2016, 09:50:43 PM
Paradox' point is that them being in coaliton doesn't mean they will declare war on you.

I tested this to see how it worked out in practice. They all declared war on me for launching a Holy War for Antoich. Muslim states, Slavic Pagans, even the fucking Pope! :rolleyes:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

When I get bored, I go Cathar and start fighting to save the fallen world from the Demiurge. :)
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Jacob

So... in elective succession, only vassals who have holdings that are de jure part of the title get to vote. Vassals elsewhere don't, right? So if your top title is a duchy and you hold all the counties in it, you're the only one with a vote even if you have vassals elsewhere, right?

At least that's how it seems to me... but I'm about to do a succession law change in an ironman game and I wan't to be as sure as possible before I pull the trigger.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 24, 2016, 08:58:25 PM
With the Ummayads crushed and Western Europe an anarchic clusterfuck due to Frankish incompetence, I got bored with no clear goals.

So I started a new game as the Byzantine Emperor in the early start. Went the scholarship route and built an observatory. Became cynical, renounced Iconoclasim, and eventually discovered and published the heliocentric theory of the solar system. Conquered the Duchy of Cilicia via Holy War and added it to my domain, then conquered the Duchies of Croatia and Rashka for my two eldest sons (also via Holy War).

Conquered Tripoli from the Abbasids in a Holy War then died. My weak son inherited and a civil war over empowering the council followed. He was winning when he was maimed and died soon after, a day short of two years into his reign. His seven year old son took over. He quickly won the ongoing civil war and the second rebellion that followed soon after, giving him a hefty +30 modifier and stabilizing the realm. By 18 he had conquered the 2nd Serbian duchy and formed the Kingdom, giving it to an uncle, liberated Antioch and Allepo in separate Holy Wars. The Abbasids so far have been much less formidable than they look, my internal opponents have been much more dangerous.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Conquered three Islamic OPMs faster than the coalition could respond. Then took Galilee in a Holy War. The Abbasids are just too spread out I think. They're always fighting a couple of wars at opposite ends of the map, so when I roll in with my whole army they can't concentrate enough force in time. My nobles rewarded my efforts with a third civil war over the council. Doesn't look that serious though.

Also formed the kingdom of Sicily (though of course I gave it and Serbia out as Exharcs).

1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Found out something interesting.  It takes 8000 prestige to form a new empire, but you don't lose the prestige when you do so.  I was just able to form a new empire of Poland, and since I'm still pagan, I have a ton of prestige to spend to upgrade holdings before I go feudal.  If I could figure out a way to get out of elective gavelkind while staying tribal, I'd not make the switch.

jimmy olsen

Won that Civil War without much trouble. Then I conquered a Bosnian OPM and formed the Kingdom of Croatia, hopefully the new Exarch will conquer the rest by himself because my infamy is already up to 75%.  :blush:

I peacfully vassalized the Duchess of Kartli after she won her independence.

The African Sultanate just conquered Salerno from the Lombards. I'm going to have to fight them, the Lombards and the Pope at the same time if I want to liberate it.  <_<

1 Karma Chameleon point